Sponsored by:

Built Porsche Tough - Tijuana Mexico Adventures

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:06 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
Guys appreciate the concern, thanks really! But...Never seen so many paranoid 16 year olds, who are stuck in their parents basements, watching CNN live and reading the front page of yahoo. ...

Don't judge a country or city without visiting it yourself. Not saying to drive your 911 there, leave that to me... But seriously, stop suxking on your Mama's titty's and get out.
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what do you do for insurance down there? Self-insure? If you have mechanical problems, are there any good Porsche independents or dealers you would go to or just tow it back to the States? Just curious. (I have traveled to many foreign countries but have not driven in Mexico.)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:21 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Guys appreciate the concern, thanks really! But...Never seen so many paranoid 16 year olds, who are stuck in their parents basements, watching CNN live and reading the front page of yahoo. ...

Don't judge a country or city without visiting it yourself. Not saying to drive your 911 there, leave that to me... But seriously, stop suxking on your Mama's titty's and get out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k
Old 01-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

INSURANCE: Allstate fully Covers you within like 50 miles of the border FREE of charge
MEXICO INSURANCE: $200 for 1 year Liability ONLY - incase you hit a deer or someone walking, your covered so you don't have to visit their JAIL system

REPAIRS: I have a Mexico mechanic standing by; nice guy lived in the USA, will do anything you ask.
EMERGENCY TOW: CALL AMEX - they will tow your car across the border
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I've lived in San Diego my whole life, and have been to TJ literally at least 100 times back in my college days, so I can tell you first hand it's sketchy as fvck! BTW, I had one of my cars stolen 13 years ago from the parking lot at my work. Guess where they found it, stripped down to nothing but the frame... TJ.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by Code
I've lived in San Diego my whole life, and have been to TJ literally at least 100 times back in my college days, so I can tell you first hand it's sketchy as fvck! BTW, I had one of my cars stolen 13 years ago from the parking lot at my work. Guess where they found it, stripped down to nothing but the frame... TJ.
Exactly, I think anybody from Southern California, heck, anybody south of Frisco has made the trek down to TJ for a little weekend entertainment back in the.....ahem, early 80's for me.......day. Things have changed in a big way down there. I'll keep my memories, and my neck, intact thank you.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Franko, do as you please and have fun

We like to have some good times here, but seriously wish you the best and want you to stay safe. You're a big boy, you can make your own decisions.

Don't get too offended here my friend.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:46 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
Franko, do as you please and have fun

You're a big boy, you can make your own decisions.
Yup, I'm all for individual responsibility. Your choice, your fun, your repercussions.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:27 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Yup, I'm all for individual responsibility. Your choice, your fun, your repercussions.
Franko of is correct. Sometimes the media over plays a situation. People are creatures of of habit and believe what is force fed to them through media. I'm sure the situation is a little daring for most television watcher but the truth is somewhere in between. If I were his age and with the means I would probably be riding shotgun. I've done a few tours to the DR in my day so I know what this entails. it's a rebellion on the main stream mindset. Bin there and done it. 90% chance he will be back to reality soon as he's done with the the rebellion. OP, enjoy it till it's done. Only happens for a short time.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

Franco, keep after it. Before I was domesticated, I did some cross continent trips by bike and by car, some by myself, and you have to get it out of your system...life is short, you're dead a long time.

"Better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep"
Old 01-21-2017, 09:02 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 76 Posts

I invite everyone to Baja California, it's a beautiful place.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:09 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

I invite everyone to Baja California, it's a beautiful place.
Beautiful photos!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Strong work Franko! Love the car and great pics...of the car. The pics of the girls could be better.

Cheers,
NF
Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

I know a lot of folks are giving you a hard time about this (and it is beyond my own comfort zone lol) but I do find this thread very interesting and look forward to more pics! More power to you! Stay safe and enjoy the ride!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Traveled most of Baja in my younger days and generally enjoyed it. Once you get south of the border towns it gets much nicer and much safer. Two important reminders though: 1) you could find yourself in jail due to a simple traffic accident, and 2) some LEOs and judicial officials are on the take. Their laws and procedures concerning traffic accidents are quite a bit different than ours (from a law firm website):

You May Go to Jail

It is very common, and legal, for Mexican authorities to arrest and detain anyone involved in an auto accident which involves physical injury or major property damage. In fact, if someone is injured in an accident, be prepared to spend time in jail while the Mexican authorities investigate the accident.

If the accident was not your fault, you will be released. If the accident was your fault, your vehicle will be impounded and you will be released from jail once you can prove that you are financially able to pay for any damages. Usually, this can be accomplished by providing proof of Mexican auto insurance or a cash payment, usually around $5,000.

Just something to keep in mind when you're weighing risk/reward.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Franko, how long is the love run commute door to door?

What $ is fuel down there?

Quick Reply: Built Porsche Tough - Tijuana Mexico Adventures