Sponsored by:

GTS PDK option climbs in price

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
I'm well informed on how the PTS process works. Nothing is being disrupted to the point that the opportunity cost exceeds $5k, guaranteed. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts to break even.
The goal is undoubtedly to maximize profit, so I agree with stating the obvious, but profit typically comes from volume rather than a custom one-off product. This means others considerations are in play, otherwise Porsche would offer all customers PTS. Take a look at just one article that sheds light on some of the other dynamics at play, particularly with regards to the painting, part sourcing process, demand, and ultimately customer experience. I think you'll feel more informed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-6-950-pts.pdf
Old 01-15-2017, 04:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not positive why Porsche charges more for PDK on the GTS over a regular Carrera, but it could be related to the extra functions that you get with the PDK on the GTS because it comes standard with Sport Chrono. Porsche has the following discussion regarding Sport Chrono on the GTS:

The Sport Chrono package provides an even sportier setup for chassis, engine and transmission. And catapults you into new dimensions of sportiness. The mode switch on the steering wheel, which is derived from the 918 Spyder, plays a big part here.

You can choose between four settings without having to remove your hand fully from the steering wheel: Normal, SPORT, SPORT PLUS and Individual Mode, with which you can adjust the vehicle to an even greater degree to your individual driving style. You get three additional functions in combination with the Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission.

The first function: Launch Control. This enables the best possible starting acceleration. The second function: Race track shift strategy. The Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) transmission is now tuned for extremely short shifting times and optimum shift points for maximum acceleration.

The third function: SPORT Response. The button in the middle of the mode switch is used to prepare the engine and transmission for the fastest possible development of power. In other words, maximum responsiveness – for 20 seconds

Note that there are three additional functions that you get with SC and PDK on the GTS that the manual transmission car doesn't have. The PDK price on the regular Carrera is only $3,200, but to get these extra functions you would also have to pay for SC, an extra $2,605 (Note that Porsche charges $2605 for SC on regular carrera vs $2,085 for SC on a manual car. Total price for PDK and SC on regular Carrera is then $5,805. Price for PDK on GTS is $4,840.

But, you say SC is standard on the GTS, which it is. However, the manual transmission cars don't get the three extra functions with SC that the GTS has.

Maybe in some convoluted way, Porsche is charging more for the PDK in the GTS than in the regular Carrera, but less than the cost of the PDK plus SC together in the regular Carrera. Maybe a better way of saying it is that Porsche is charging more for the PDK in the GTS not because the PDK cost more, but because the extra functions that come with the PDK in the GTS are not included if you get a GTS with manual transmission.

The price difference between PDK in GTS ($4,840) and regular Carrera with PDK ($3,200) of $1,640 could be for the extra functions you get in the GTS that you don't get in a regular Carrera with PDK, unless you opt to pay the additional $2,605 for SC.

Now, I think I confused myself.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 01-15-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:57 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^ This makes a lot of sense to me. Still doesn't feel good when when checking that PDK box and seeing the price ; )
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not an only manual kinda guy, but if they're going to gouge you on the PDK, just get the manual.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM
joshg120
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is wild. Paying $5000 for an automatic transmission on a 120k base car.. it's quite hilarious. But as long as their products are so damn good, people will continue to pay
Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joshg120
Porsche is wild. Paying $5000 for an automatic transmission on a 120k base car.. it's quite hilarious. But as long as their products are so damn good, people will continue to pay
That pretty much sums it up. I don't care if I'm paying 10k or 1k on pdk, so long as I'm getting out the door with the car I want at my target of around 140k. It all made senses as a whole.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

The Porsche configurator now shows the price for the GTS PDK is $3720.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

One more reason to spec a manual...

Quick Reply: GTS PDK option climbs in price