Sponsored by:

991.2 with no sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts
Default 991.2 with no sport chrono

Anyone have a 991.2 base Carrera with PDK but no sport chrono package?
If so, is it fast enough in sport mode? Thoughts?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Double_J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Define 'fast enough'.

I can't speak from experience but to me, sport chrono is a must-have with PDK on the 991.1 and 997. Faster shifts for manual shifting and sport-plus mode are what make PDK really really good.

If you think you'll be reselling the car at some point, get SC. I'm shocked at the amount of 991.1s on the used market that have PDK and no SC but I'm not shocked at the fact that many of them don't appear to be selling.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Fast enough as compared to a 991.1 Carrera S with a manual and sport chrono. My concern is downgrading from an S to a base model and whether the sport mode on PDK is going to feel sufficient. I'm leasing so I don't care about resale. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

If you consider faster than your S "fast enough", then I think you'll be ok with the base. If you look through previous threads and online reviews, you'll see the base tested at 0-60 in as low as 3.4 secs. I don't think that you'll find any tests of a 991.1 S that give that quick of a time. Many individuals on this forum have issues with the concept of the new turbocharged engines, but speed is not one of them, sports chrono or not.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't have sport crono

C4s with PDK

Not needed in my opinion, mine is a street car not a track car . My wife uses ours to goto hair salon and Starbucks

And thank god no awful dash wart...don't have that eyesore on gt3 either
Old 01-10-2017, 02:16 AM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Drove both the base and S with SC and PDK. Base is just as fast as my '14 C4S but seems quicker because of the pick up in low end torque. I ordered the base with all the sport stuff. I do think SC is a must have to get the sport and sport plus button on the steering wheel and the 20 sec boost feature.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably fine if you don't plan on tracking it, where sport+ is amazing. It will make it more difficult to sell down the road if you don't have it.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't' get the Rotary Mode Selector and 'Push to Pass' button on your steering wheel without SC. Worth the price of admission!-Richard
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
Anyone have a 991.2 base Carrera with PDK but no sport chrono package?
If so, is it fast enough in sport mode? Thoughts?
I recently took delivery of a .2 Carrera but a manual. Not outrageously optioned because I wanted to stay as raw as possible and this will do until the .2 GT3 is eventually announced/produced.

That little 3.0turbo in base form is a quick torquey bugger... I can tell it'll already give my GT4 a hell of a run. I have PSE on this and it sounds good! Once more performance mods come out I'm open to increasing its power potential... this is exactly why I chose the base at well under 100k after discounts. Pretty good bang for the back IMO and I love the new improved Infotainment system!

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 AM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Base 991.2 w/manual felt just as fast as a 991.1 S manual during my test drive. SC not really necessary..

Stephen
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
I recently took delivery of a .2 Carrera but a manual. Not outrageously optioned because I wanted to stay as raw as possible and this will do until the .2 GT3 is eventually announced/produced.

That little 3.0turbo in base form is a quick torquey bugger... I can tell it'll already give my GT4 a hell of a run. I have PSE on this and it sounds good! Once more performance mods come out I'm open to increasing its power potential... this is exactly why I chose the base at well under 100k after discounts. Pretty good bang for the back IMO and I love the new improved Infotainment system!

Same car and color as mine. Love GR and PSE does sound awesome. Didnt really see advantage of SC with Manual .
Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
It's probably fine if you don't plan on tracking it, where sport+ is amazing. It will make it more difficult to sell down the road if you don't have it.
Devil's advocate here, there's a foot for every shoe... I've searched for months to get a base car with as few options as possible, less stuff to go wrong, less buttons to press, no warts on the dash. I have sports mode (the button) but not the chrono, and on a manual car I could not be happier... I doubt resale will be tremendously impacted when I sell it in 10 years and it's a $25K car then ;-) ( might leave $200 on the table)
Old 03-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Devil's advocate here, there's a foot for every shoe... I've searched for months to get a base car with as few options as possible, less stuff to go wrong, less buttons to press, no warts on the dash. I have sports mode (the button) but not the chrono, and on a manual car I could not be happier... I doubt resale will be tremendously impacted when I sell it in 10 years and it's a $25K car then ;-) ( might leave $200 on the table)
what exactly does the standard sport button do on a car without the sport Chrono package? Is it a throttle remapping only, or does it also affect the suspension? I know these cars come standard with pasm, but does the pasm function have a separate button? On my nine nine seven it had a button with a shock absorber picture on it. I'm wondering if the normal sport button helps to deal with the turbo lag sensation on a base manual.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:23 PM
dasto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
what exactly does the standard sport button do on a car without the sport Chrono package? Is it a throttle remapping only, or does it also affect the suspension? I know these cars come standard with pasm, but does the pasm function have a separate button? On my nine nine seven it had a button with a shock absorber picture on it. I'm wondering if the normal sport button helps to deal with the turbo lag sensation on a base manual.
I have the same question.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:36 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I can tell,
- it raises the idle when warm to 800 rpm which stops my passenger seat from vibrating (good)
- it remaps the gas pedal to a more aggressive map, less laggy
- it sounds better, not sure if it is just inside the car or inside and out because I cannot be in both places at the same time ;-) Good enough for me !

Quick Reply: 991.2 with no sport chrono