Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 with no sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:45 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

The only thing Sport Chrono will really do for you unless you get the $4K suspension option is allow launch mode and make shifts slightly quicker so the car would be quicker on acceleration. How much quicker Porsche hasn't said- they are in the business of selling options after all- hence they're not likely to. But it doesn't give the car more power or make it ultimately "faster"- that's a canard.

The rest of it is show IMO. The stopwatch is useless (i had it on a GT3) and it does clutter up the dash. And it's not going to affect resale value. There are a lot of buyers (see above and include me) who don't like or want the "wart".

So unless you're going to drag race it's useless IMO. Save the $2K and get something you really want.

Last edited by George from MD; 03-12-2017 at 04:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by George from MD:
maschinetheist (08-29-2020), mialan (02-27-2023)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think SC is a must have with the PDK, but if you're on the fence, consider that you could add something like Sprint Booster for under $300 afterward and greatly change the throttle response feel
Old 03-12-2017, 05:04 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George from MD
The only thing Sport Chrono will really do for you unless you get the $4K suspension option is allow launch mode and make shifts slightly quicker so the car would be quicker on acceleration. How much quicker Porsche hasn't said- they are in the business of selling options after all- hence they're not likely to. But it doesn't give the car more power or make it ultimately "faster"- that's a canard.

The rest of it is show IMO. The stopwatch is useless (i had it on a GT3) and it does clutter up the dash. And it's not going to affect resale value. There are a lot of buyers (see above and include me) who don't like or want the "wart".

So unless you're going to drag race it's useless IMO. Save the $2K and get something you really want.
Not really so with the .2, which adds the dial where Individual mode can be custom tailored and adds the Sport Response button, plus the driving feel most certainly changes in more aspects than just quicker PDK shifts
Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

In my view, PDK absolutely requires Sport chrono.

The Sport and Sport+ modes add dramatically more exciting driving modes.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Lots of talk about PDK here......What about with MT? Specifically, does the more aggressive throttle response in sport mode have a lessening effect on turbo lag, and does SC have any more effect on turbo lag than the standard sport button? Or, is the turbo lag negligible and neither mode makes much of a difference?
Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

I'd want SC in a PDK car. (Except in the case of a GT3 or RS where it's pointless IMO).
Old 03-12-2017, 08:03 PM
k4site
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it not worth the money
Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 PM
verstraete
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 991.2 S MT without SC. I have not driven a similar car with SC for comparison, but do not feel I am missing anything without it. Sport Mode is independent of PASM setting. I leave PASM in its stiffer setting position and automatically select Sport Mode on start-up. It gives a revised throttle mapping and a more aggressive exhaust sound.

A concern with SC is the dynamic engine mounts that come with it. They can be costly to maintain post-warranty.

Slightly OT, but for those considering a base to minimize cost, by buying a 991.2 S with no extra-cost options, except a glass sunroof, I was able to get the out-of-pocket cost to almost exactly $100k with discount.

Last edited by verstraete; 03-12-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Dynamic engine mounts still part of the SC package?
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sports plus is worth it with PDK for several reasons
(1) Improved response (obvious)
(2) dynamic engine mounts (improves handling)
(3) race logic shifting (max power under the curve)
(4) reduced shift time (almost instantaneous with the new PDK mapping)
(5) On board telemetry (everything from steering angle, location, temps, speed, accelerometer data, rpm etc - you can use it on the street if you are ever pulled over)
(6) Launch control (it works well but is rarely used)
(7) Manetino + push to pass (20s optimal response plus hands on wheel profile change)
(8) clock with the right coloured dial is actually pretty good
(9) Nanny aids dropped back but not off
(10) more agressive PDCC and RAS settings

I voted with my wallet and use it both on my .2S and GTS. Very happy with it.

Last edited by randr; 03-13-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: forgot PDCC and RAS
Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my MT, I don't note much of a difference between all the modes. The throttle response in normal is less aggressive when starting off, but after 3 K it feels the same to me. I know that in my 997 carrera and GT3 that the throttle response in the different modes made the car no faster. The throttle response just made the car feel more aggressive.

I usually do Individual- Normal, PSE, Auto start/stop disabled, sport suspension off. The reason I like this mode the most is that the auto blip is turned off.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:34 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked into SC for my 991.2 MT order. Here is what I found that is relevant for the MT (may have errors):

- SC adds throttle blip during downshifts in S and S+ mode. PSM off disables this.
- SC adds PSM Sport option.
- SC in S+ mode turns backfire off.
- SC in S+ mode causes PASM, PDCC, PTM, and rear axle steering to use sportier settings.

I decided no on SC for my MT. Everything sounds good to me except for the auto blip, which I don't want, and IMO disabling PSM to disable it is not acceptable.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

base 991.2 pdk car no sport chrono
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 AM
LittleBlueGT
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't SC give the car a more relaxed stability control setting when in S or S+?

I am struggling with the same decision. But since my car will be a DD that includes driving in the winter on snow and ice (and I am used to driving sideways, A LOT) and some track driving, having less intrusive stability control might give me the option of not turning it off, which might save me one day.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:44 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

.2 base MT w/ SC, always driven in Sport, auto blip makes it easier/smoother to use the car on daily basis. Plus I like that SC watch/clock/timer on the dash and the the mode switch *** on the steering wheel. Does adding this option make dramatic differences in each driving mode, I doubt it, but to me it's still a personal preference thing. ;-)

Quick Reply: 991.2 with no sport chrono