Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused: Porsche Connect, Connect Plus, PCM Connect, Online services ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:00 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
AND I can send destinations to it from my iPhone! Porsche is still way behind in user convenience.
I can send destinations from my iPhone to the PCM using the PCM Connect App (iPhone) on 991.2 Turbo. As I recall, it shows up in the APP section of the PCM and you click on it, and it goes to the Navigation function. You need to pair your phone to the PCM using an 8 digit pairing code provided by Porsche Connect Portal.

[url]https://connect-portal.porsche.com/core/us/en_US/home/followed by your VIN

Last edited by philg3; 03-18-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

It seems to me with Apple Carplay which has traffic you have everything useful without the extra cell chip and extra monthly cost. I do not find plugging in the iPhone a hardship with the cord staying connected and ready to use. I put Spotify on the Carplay first menu page also.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

"I can send destinations from my iPhone to the PCM using the PCM Connect App (iPhone) on 991.2 Turbo. As I recall, it shows up in the APP section of the PCM and you click on it, and it goes to the Navigation function. You need to pair your phone to the PCM using an 8 digit pairing code provided by Porsche Connect Portal."

How does the pcm receive data from the iPhone? Bluetooth, wifi, or cellular?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:07 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Never mind, I just read your post again, it must be Bluetooth, since you described pairing the iPhone.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

You can also just add a destination to your Contacts and click to NAV to it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Just tried to activate Connect. It must require wifi, which I don't have.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
You can also just add a destination to your Contacts and click to NAV to it.
I find it pretty easy to just ask Siri to load a destination, and use Apple maps via CarPlay.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's the situation as I see it:

Vodafone provides the following services using an internal SIM card for a fee (requires connect or connect +):
1) Remote Services -- locking/unlocking/fuel in tank/ tire pressure/ etc (Free for first year) $119/yr thereafter
2) Safety Services airbag deployment/calling for help $159/yr
3) Security Services -- Vehicle tracking (essentially lojack) $219/yr

These services were activated by the dealer at delivery. Discounts are available for multiple packages and longer contract terms see the following link for details:
https://pcc.vodafonetelematics.com/cwp/login.do

Then there are the Porsche services (requires Connect +):
1) Navigation and infotainment -- believe it requires ATT SIM -- $10/mo added to your ATT Cell phone bill. No price provided, but when I registered recently and activated, it said I get one year for free. There are 13 provided services including real time traffic, nearby fuel prices and will link to NAV when you select a gas station, weather, real time airport flight info, nearby parking and prices, online map update, nearby events, news, etc. It's actually quite nice.

2) Connect App Services --This service links your contacts and calendar to your PCM for Navigation services -- believe this is what links your phone to the PCM to enter a destination via your phone. Think it's free.

I've had my 991.2 Turbo for 4 months and didn't discover the above Porsche Services until I received an email inviting me to sign up a week or two ago.

Believe linking my iPhone using the 8 digit code provided during the activation process for these features (this is separate from the normal dealer activation at delivery) by Porsche was wireless / not Bluetooth, but who knows -- it works.

And then there's CarPlay.

One more thing on the Vodafone services -- while the Security Services provides Vehicle Tracking (for a fee), the Remote Services has vehicle tracking, as well -- with the "find my car feature" for about half the price plus the remote features. Looks like the difference is if your car gets stolen, you have to direct the police to the cars location yourself, instead of a call center.

Anyones head spinning yet -- particularly those of you out there that have your cars on order?

Last edited by philg3; 03-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:50 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Thanks for a great summary.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

I find it pretty easy to just ask Siri to load a destination, and use Apple maps via CarPlay.
Yes, when you don't need to remember house numbers, etc. or does she also use your contacts?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:52 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
Another thing I noticed is that you can download map updates -- but haven't tried that yet -- not sure if the car needs to be running for that, or how long it would take. Some good documentation would be appreciated.
I may be able to shed some light on that as I did it a couple of days ago. If there is a map update for your area (mine was for Florida) you will get a Map Update option on the APPS screen. Select that and you will get several options to source the update from - as I recall it gave me Disk (ie a CD), SD1 and SD2 (there are 3 slots in the PCM where you can put in a SIM card and one or two SD data cards) and Online.

I selected Online and it started to download 3 files totaling 1.1G of data through the PCM's data connection. It looked like this was going to take a while so I went out to do some errands instead of leaving the ignition on for a protracted period of time. It appeared that whenever I shut the car off and locked it, the PCM would go to sleep after a few minutes and the download would stop (it shows a progress bar while running). But - thankfully - restarting the car continued where it left off right up until all the data was downloaded - at which time the progress bar showed about 90% complete and the message changed to say that "Installation would proceed once the car was shut down" (or something like that). I note that during the data update there was an additional icon in the lower left of the PCM screen. In addition to the cellular data strength (of a connected phone) and the icon which shows the PCM connection speed (in my case this is almost always LTE) there's a 3rd icon which if selected shows the download and installation progress screen.

Apparently the installation only takes place when the car and the PCM is shut down - which does make sense. After a little bit I started the car back up and it no longer showed the download / installation icon and the message came back on that the installation was successful, and I no longer show a map update icon on the APPS screen.

The good news is in spite of numerous interruptions during the download and installation of the updates, it always seemed to know where it was and continue from where it left off right up until it was complete. The bad news is I burned through 1.1G of data - the next time I show a map update I may pull the SIM card and connect to my normal WiFi at the house and save on the data plan.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:15 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Yes, when you don't need to remember house numbers, etc. or does she also use your contacts?
Yes, Siri uses contacts.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

So say I have Quigley's address in my contacts. Do I press the button and say "navigate to Quigley's Pub"?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

So say I have Quigley's address in my contacts. Do I press the button and say "navigate to Quigley's Pub"?
i just command Siri to "take me to John's house"
Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
drgek
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

I was just emailed the Connect offer for my 991.2. I don't see any benefit to pay for most of the things I get for free with CarPlay. Is there something I'm missing? Btw, my Verizon data doesn't include the option for hotspot, so I don't get traffic data for the Porsche nav, but I do receive it from Apple maps through my cell connection.
Not sure what phone you have, but for my iPhone I just had to call and ask Verizon to activate the hotspot service. Naturally, it's an extra charge.

Quick Reply: Confused: Porsche Connect, Connect Plus, PCM Connect, Online services ....