Sponsored by:

991.2 PSE vs base exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 04:44 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
My understanding from my dealer is that on a non PSE car, there are flaps that open above a certain RPM to allow the engine to breathe better. These flaps are automatically controlled, and from your video, there appears to be some cracks and pops programmed in. With PSE in defeat position, regardless of how high you rev the engine, the flaps don't open resulting inquirer operation. Of course when you engage it, the exhaust note is much louder. There is a comparison on this forum of a PSE car being revved neutral as well as the example you provided of a non PSE car. I'm not sure where the thread is though.

My conclusion wa that a PSE car with the defeat button was actually quieter with the system on defeat than a non PSE car and louder with the PSE button pressed. I ordered PSE.
It appears from the video, that in "normal mode" the sound seems consistent and not very loud, even when revving the motor, therefore I'm assuming the valves stay closed and only open in "sport mode". However, based on what your dealer is saying and what I've been able to research, I'm still not sure. I prefer the quad tip look, over the two centre mounted ones, so I opted for non-PSE with the quad tips added on.

Must be exciting to have your car in May, mine won't be delivered until August or September as I'm doing euro-delivery in June. Where in Canada do you live? I'm in Vancouver.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm on the prairies. It will be a while until the snow melts here so a May delivery will be perfect. I test drove a C4S last summer that had PSE. I drove the car with the PSE and and off and didn't find it too noisy with the windows up in either mode. Compared to the 2015 Carerra base I test drove for a day the 991.2 with PSE is just quieter all around (road noise, engine induction noise and exhaust noise), which is a plus for me. I don't need the show (noise), I just need the "go" (performance). I know others feel differently as the aftermarket exhaust business is pretty active.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

If you will be spending some extra $$$ on changing out the oval shape exhaust tips, might as well go with PSE and if you do think it's too loud, just set if with a click of the button. I like my C2 w/ PSE, for me the noise level inside the car isn't much different, but people do tell me that they think it's pretty loud when I come home later in the evening/night. I live in a community with many elderly/retired neighbours though.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:03 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by py0413
If you will be spending some extra $$$ on changing out the oval shape exhaust tips, might as well go with PSE and if you do think it's too loud, just set if with a click of the button. I like my C2 w/ PSE, for me the noise level inside the car isn't much different, but people do tell me that they think it's pretty loud when I come home later in the evening/night. I live in a community with many elderly/retired neighbours though.
I agree that the noise level inside the car isn't much different. If it turns out to be too noisy outside for neighbors, etc, my car will likely be driven in "I" mode with sporty settings minus PSE and I'll leave that $3,300 option to help me with resale value to the next guy. I went back and forth on this option and unltimately ticked the option box after finding the car pretty quiet on the inside.didnt think too much about the neighbours during the process.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I now have 1050 miles on my 991.2 with PSE, sport chrono, and MT ... I immediately put it in sport plus mode that eliminates the cackles but gives a nice exhaust note.,,.
I'm considering ordering a 991.2 C4 with MT, SC and PSE (have this combination on my Cayman GTS, and love it). So it gets quieter in sports + compared to sport? Sounds counter intuitive. I've gotten used to the crackles paired with auto rev matching...
Old 02-20-2017, 10:07 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I'm considering ordering a 991.2 C4 with MT, SC and PSE (have this combination on my Cayman GTS, and love it). So it gets quieter in sports + compared to sport? Sounds counter intuitive. I've gotten used to the crackles paired with auto rev matching...
The exhaust volume is the same in both Sport and Sport plus (PSE on in both modes), but the pops and crackles are deleted in Sport + making it quieter. The problem is with PDK, the shift map gets more aggressive and that means on deceleration the transmission will hold a lower gear longer and also holds to a higher RPM on the upshift, both shifts themselves are more aggressive. So, to get rid of the pops and crackles you are forced into a more aggressive driving mode that my SA says is seldom used. If a software "mod" becomes available for this (to disable the cradles and pops, I'll definitely be interested in it.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Wait the base .2 non-PSE has exhaust? News to me. The darn thing I test drove was so quiet, it was the single biggest disappointment about the car. PSE is a must in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
Wait the base .2 non-PSE has exhaust? News to me. The darn thing I test drove was so quiet, it was the single biggest disappointment about the car. PSE is a must in my opinion.
I think PSE is a have your cake and eat it too option. It's as quiet as non PSE when you want and louder when you want. Aside from the option cost, not sure what's not to like.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I think PSE is a have your cake and eat it too option. It's as quiet as non PSE when you want and louder when you want. Aside from the option cost, not sure what's not to like.
Fully agreed. It's a Porsche, it has to rumble!
Else buy a Tesla.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I now have 1050 miles on my 991.2 with PSE, sport chrono, and MT, and it seems to sound better today than it did from new. Maybe it's just my perception, but wonder if there is a burn-in period. When starting the car, I immediately put it in sport plus mode that eliminates the cackles but gives a nice exhaust note. I also tend to drive in lower gears to hear the note. At sixty-five in fourth gear, it sounds nice going down the parkway.

I seldom use 6th, and may have put it in the top gear once to try it. I think this car could easily be a five speed.
Do you find yourself sliding around in Sport +?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:40 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Base Exhaust:

With PSE:
Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

^^ getting old
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
^^ getting old
So are the billions of exhaust comparison threads.

Computer speaks won't do any of our exhausts justice anyway. Especially mobile or laptop speakers.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R_Rated
So are the billions of exhaust comparison threads.
Here's an idea - skip them.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
No, it doesn't get quieter. In Sport mode, you get cackles and pops when letting off the gas, and in Sport Plus mode you still get the nice exhaust note without the pops.

Quick Reply: 991.2 PSE vs base exhaust