Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Regarding the center speaker: I noticed my phone calls come through the center speaker. What happens if it's disconnected? Does the sound go to the tweeters?
Has anybody disconnected the middle speaker in a 991.2 yet? I am still wondering about phone calls as per above....
Old 03-03-2017, 02:05 AM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks nick. got them today! i will start install this weekend. thanks to all the guys who have left feedback making the installation easier.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Cajun Martyni
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got mine, too.

Hey Nick. Any chance you could do that video on disconnecting the center speaker now? Thanks very much!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:07 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Regarding the center speaker: I noticed my phone calls come through the center speaker. What happens if it's disconnected? Does the sound go to the tweeters?
is this a 991.2 question or is it applicable to the 991.1 also? I use my phone a lot in the car and am not interested in losing that capability. Since it looks like a bit of work to disconnect the center speaker don't want to do that and then find I have to hook it back up again
Old 03-03-2017, 09:31 AM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there, fwiw, I found disconnecting the center speaker to be the easiest thing. From the front towards the windshield on both sides. And with the pliers, easily disconnect the speaker. No issues with the phone at all. The center speaker is a mix of left and right. Pretty bad. The phone will work on the main speakers. With the tweeter upgrade, everything is improved.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911passion
Hi there, fwiw, I found disconnecting the center speaker to be the easiest thing. From the front towards the windshield on both sides. And with the pliers, easily disconnect the speaker. No issues with the phone at all. The center speaker is a mix of left and right. Pretty bad. The phone will work on the main speakers. With the tweeter upgrade, everything is improved.
On a 991.2?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikeearly
is this a 991.2 question or is it applicable to the 991.1 also? I use my phone a lot in the car and am not interested in losing that capability. Since it looks like a bit of work to disconnect the center speaker don't want to do that and then find I have to hook it back up again
Yes, my thoughts exactly. It is a 991.2 question. I think Nick was going to do a video of the center speaker disconnect.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Originally Posted by 911passion
Thanks, that is just what I wanted to hear
Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Installed the tweeters in my 991.1 this morning. Installation was fairly painless but it was an absolute bi*** disconnecting the speaker wires from the original tweets. Only thing I deviated from is I removed two of the metal retaining clips from the original speaker grills, the non safety catch variety, and installed them on the rearmost retaining pins of the Burmester grilles. Should make grill removal easier in the future should I want to go there again.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Did the install today. Astonishing how they transform the system. Crank up the volume and you're rewarded with incredibly crisp, clear, and vibrant highs.

The PSE just took a back seat.

Thanks Nick.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:23 AM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Audio Nuts:
Did my install tonight, but haven't yet listened. Thinking that some may take their Saturday morning to install these I thought I add some notes on how mine went. Instructions in the video are very clear. I'd say the force to remove the clips from underneath is more than you may think and its definitely a downward pull, not outward. Second, removing the old tweeter connection is made much easier as some have said with a small (1.4mm) screwdriver in the center hole on top of the connection. I removed the tweeter from its retaining clip which is easy and a very firm push in there and the connector comes apart easily. Third, is that you save yourself some agony (ask me how I know) if you immediately connect the new tweeter after disconnecting the old one. I lost the wire down the hole towards the windshield and it was completely out of sight. A flashlight shown through the windshield showed it sitting down there pretty far so I grabbed it with a trusty wire coat hanger. Lastly, I needed to compress slightly with a pliers the clip on the new grill, the one closet to you. The rear (windshield side ones) went in easily, but the front needed more force than I was comfortable with so I squeezed it slightly and it popped in as easily as shown in the video. Sorry if some of this was mentioned already, I haven't read every single post, but most. Can't wait to get on the road and try these out tomorrow! Thanks Nick!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:15 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Installed the tweeters in my 991.1 this morning. Installation was fairly painless but it was an absolute bi*** disconnecting the speaker wires from the original tweets. Only thing I deviated from is I removed two of the metal retaining clips from the original speaker grills, the non safety catch variety, and installed them on the rearmost retaining pins of the Burmester grilles. Should make grill removal easier in the future should I want to go there again.
I actually do the same thing with the "clip swap" when we do that upgrade locally. Makes it easier to remove in the future should it ever need service.

Originally Posted by pfan
Did the install today. Astonishing how they transform the system. Crank up the volume and you're rewarded with incredibly crisp, clear, and vibrant highs.

The PSE just took a back seat.

Thanks Nick.
Wicked. Thanks for the order!

Originally Posted by arch7
Hey Audio Nuts:
Did my install tonight, but haven't yet listened. Thinking that some may take their Saturday morning to install these I thought I add some notes on how mine went. Instructions in the video are very clear. I'd say the force to remove the clips from underneath is more than you may think and its definitely a downward pull, not outward. Second, removing the old tweeter connection is made much easier as some have said with a small (1.4mm) screwdriver in the center hole on top of the connection. I removed the tweeter from its retaining clip which is easy and a very firm push in there and the connector comes apart easily. Third, is that you save yourself some agony (ask me how I know) if you immediately connect the new tweeter after disconnecting the old one. I lost the wire down the hole towards the windshield and it was completely out of sight. A flashlight shown through the windshield showed it sitting down there pretty far so I grabbed it with a trusty wire coat hanger. Lastly, I needed to compress slightly with a pliers the clip on the new grill, the one closet to you. The rear (windshield side ones) went in easily, but the front needed more force than I was comfortable with so I squeezed it slightly and it popped in as easily as shown in the video. Sorry if some of this was mentioned already, I haven't read every single post, but most. Can't wait to get on the road and try these out tomorrow! Thanks Nick!
Thanks for the order – and for sharing your install experience. Let us know how they sound tomorrow!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:58 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Nick, got the tweeters .... love the packaging ... gonna tackle the install this weekend. I really appreciate all the posts regarding the experiences thus far ... I've printed them all out and anticipating that everyone of them is going to make my job that much easier...
Old 03-04-2017, 05:06 PM
911Forever
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Nick, got the tweeters .... love the packaging ... gonna tackle the install this weekend. I really appreciate all the posts regarding the experiences thus far ... I've printed them all out and anticipating that everyone of them is going to make my job that much easier...
I installed the tweeters yesterday. Without Nick's video & tips from other, I would have not dared to install these myself......hence, thank you all of you.

The overall Bose audio system sounds so much better. For some reason, even my bass sounds much tighter and not muddy like before. This could be the crispier /clearer high frequency and dynamics of the new tweeters or just my imagination. While I never expect my 991 to ever sound like my B&W home audio system, I'm very glad I jump on this Group Buy bandwagon.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Several people have now said that the bass sounds better (I can't comment yet, because my car and newly installed tweeters are still in winter hibernation). Is this because of the crossovers in the Musicar setup? More cleaner bass signal going to the other speakers?? The system running more efficiently (the Musicar tweeters are different/more efficient ohms) now, and the amp has more power to better drive the other larger speakers??? Interesting and unexpected surprise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade