Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Integra
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Nick,

I have sent you a mail this weekend for an order. Hope you got it.
tnx in advance!
S.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
Disconnected the center speaker from the 991 this evening. That was a royal PITA compared to removing trim to access the tweeters which I practiced after the center speaker work. Hopefully will have the tweeters this week...
I got the tweeters in fine, but haven't disconnected the center speaker yet. From what i am reading, this process is more difficult and not sure if it is worth the effort.

It would be great if somebody could post a video of this process.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

I wanted to send out a global update to those that are still awaiting their set of tweeters. We had a miscommunication with a supplier on ship dates for some of the materials. All that is sorted and everything should arrive here today. Over the next four days I'll be putting together and shipping out the last of the sets. Those who haven't already received an email confirming shipping info and balance payment will see that by tomorrow morning.

Thanks again everyone!

Nick

Originally Posted by APristi
Not too familiar with car audio but will removing the center channel be tantamount to removing some of the music as well ? How do you set PCM to only send the sound to the left and right speakers

Thanks !
The "Surround" option in the premium system is the only thing that actually steers direct info the the center channel. Otherwise it is just playing a fabricated mix of left and right to trick us into thinking there's a real center image. Outside of using the Surround option, no information in the recording is lost by deleting the center speaker.

Originally Posted by Integra
Hello Nick,

I have sent you a mail this weekend for an order. Hope you got it.
tnx in advance!
S.
Thanks for reaching out, I'm getting back to emails today – you should see my response shortly!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:40 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know how the harness clip (not the metal grill clip) comes out of the old tweeter? I can't get it out and already broke some of the clip plastic. Do you push? Pull? Press somewhere?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Got the connector clips out, instructions in this part need more beef. All in took about 1:15 to do both sides, only 15 min on the 2nd side after figuring out the connector which was my only hang up . Sounds much nicer already with no break in yet. Should sound better after 8-10 hours. The sound is much less muddled and for some reason the bass seems punchier or cleaner. Not sure why, maybe someone knows. Vocals stand out much more as well. Cool upgrade. Here is a pic of the embarrassing, crummy Bose Chinese tweeters we paid 2 grand for -key for scale.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Here is a pic of the embarrassing, crummy Bose Chinese tweeters we paid 2 grand for -key for scale.
I just did my JD Powers survey. That was an excellent place to show my displeasure with the crappy Bose system. It is an outrage to spend that amount of money for it.

Now, if somebody would only post some pics or video how to disconnect the center speaker...
Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

Now, if somebody would only post some pics or video how to disconnect the center speaker...
It's in my list of things to do. Need to finish up the assembly on these remaining orders first before people start throwing things at me...

More late night assembly tonight:

Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 AM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Any idea on how to "break in" the tweeters? I've never heard of this. If I play Metallica does it only need 1hr of play time
Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Any idea on how to "break in" the tweeters? I've never heard of this. If I play Metallica does it only need 1hr of play time
Just listen to 'em. My understanding is, much like a car and revs, refrain from massive volumes early on.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:13 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Yo, B! I'm going on a long drive this weekend, so tossed em in for the drive. I can definitely give you some pointers around installation since we had planned to do the install together. Speakers are known to getter "sweeter" over time as they break in, at least in the home audio arena. I just let em play as much as possible when driving per usual. For home audio, I left the new speakers on all day for a couple days.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:12 AM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Just listen to 'em. My understanding is, much like a car and revs, refrain from massive volumes early on.
So I should do the opposite of my 991 "break in"?

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Yo, B! I'm going on a long drive this weekend, so tossed em in for the drive. I can definitely give you some pointers around installation since we had planned to do the install together. Speakers are known to getter "sweeter" over time as they break in, at least in the home audio arena. I just let em play as much as possible when driving per usual. For home audio, I left the new speakers on all day for a couple days.
G! I noticed the higher base you mentioned in an earlier post after my install as well. (Sorry for the pre meeting install, I couldn't resist after seeing the easy install video). They sound great now so i'm just going to let father time do its work.

Where are you headed for the drive? It's been a while since I've taken the GTS out on a long tour. PM me if you want some company.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

One question, every time I change the audio settings (bass, treble, balance, etc.) they are not saved and the next time I have to adjust them again... what am I not doing correctly? I have the base system...
Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911seeker
One question, every time I change the audio settings (bass, treble, balance, etc.) they are not saved and the next time I have to adjust them again... what am I not doing correctly? I have the base system...
Try saving your settings to your key?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Regarding the center speaker: I noticed my phone calls come through the center speaker. What happens if it's disconnected? Does the sound go to the tweeters?
Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Try saving your settings to your key?

I tried... will try again at some point...

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade