Vendor Announcements A place for Rennlist Sponsors to post new products, sales, and deals for members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Got mine this morning and installed them in 30', another 10' for disconnecting the central channel, everything went smoothly. It sounds better but I need more time to play with the sound settings, I think I am going to end up changing the door speakers as well.
Glad the install went smooth – thanks again for the order!

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
NIck - any thoughts about changing out the door speakers with a plug and play kit similar to the tweeters?
Definitely thoughts... and some R&D in the works. Working with factory amplifier power and the lack of a real EQ, we need to make sure whatever is done there is a worthy improvement. I want to have a solution, just need to take the proper time to be certain it's the perfect one for that application.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911seeker,

Did you notice a significant improvement with the center channel disconnected? I'm on the fence.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I went on and disconnected it without testing the sound with it in place, I don't think it makes sense to have different speakers for the high range working at the same time, you don't really need a center channel for stereo sources and the different characteristics would make the integration with the dynaudio tweeters impossible.

you can always try with the cloth and book on top and decide for yourself, I didn't even do that
Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do these tweeters need breaking in at all? The Morels I have in my car sounded like a clock radio at first but now are sublime.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow. Attention to detail is top notch. Well done Nick.

Name:  photo647.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  615.5 KBName:  photo831.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  829.5 KBName:  photo263.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  789.9 KBName:  photo321.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  877.0 KB
Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911seeker
I went on and disconnected it without testing the sound with it in place, I don't think it makes sense to have different speakers for the high range working at the same time, you don't really need a center channel for stereo sources and the different characteristics would make the integration with the dynaudio tweeters impossible.

you can always try with the cloth and book on top and decide for yourself, I didn't even do that
You also have Sound Package Plus, which makes the center channel even worse since it's simply mixed-mono.

Make sure when you Bose owners are testing the "center channel delete" option that you turn surround on and off. With surround on a lot of the info is sent to that channel, so typically removing the center means forfeiting the "surround" option – which is a worthless option anyway(imho).

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Do these tweeters need breaking in at all? The Morels I have in my car sounded like a clock radio at first but now are sublime.
They'll break in after 10-12 hours of play time. In my experience the higher frequencies relax a bit and the lower frequency response gets better.

Originally Posted by STG
Wow. Attention to detail is top notch. Well done Nick.

Last edited by 12v Nick; 02-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Nick, not to bug you ... but, do you have any kind of ETA on the grills from Porsche? I am trying to figure out if it is weeks or months
Old 02-12-2017, 05:48 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
@Nick,

Do you happen to have recommended settings for the addition of these tweeters on a relatively stock system? (Bose)
Install complete. Noticeable improvement over Bose. listening to it as I post. Really striking quality music.

Here are my settings:

Sound:
0 Base
+2 treble
0 balance (moved from 2 driver)
2 rear Fader
Surround off

Option:
Linear checked
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Nick, not to bug you ... but, do you have any kind of ETA on the grills from Porsche? I am trying to figure out if it is weeks or months
No worries Mike, I know everyone's anxious to get these in their hands. That said, I just got an updated ETA on the grilles and remaining tweeters yesterday. I updated the order list in the initial post with another color code. Looks like we should be able to get every set delivered by the end of the month.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice Improvement,...worth the price

Nice job Nick on the packaging and other attention to detail. Received my shipment Saturday and installed today. Your video explains it all and my installation was quick and painless,...unless you count the speaker connectors. Initial impressions are very positive. Thanks for the great job!
Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
so typically removing the center means forfeiting the "surround" option – which is horrible in my opinion.
Nick, I've read this a couple times now and just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.

You are stating that the surround option is horrible, right? And not that it is horrible that you have to forfeit the surround option.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:09 AM
APristi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be interested in these tweeters if anyone passes on it. Thanks !
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Nick, I've read this a couple times now and just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.

You are stating that the surround option is horrible, right? And not that it is horrible that you have to forfeit the surround option.
Sorry, I can see now how confusing that statement is. You're thoughts are correct, I'm saying that "Surround" is horrible. The loss of the feature is nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by APristi
Would be interested in these tweeters if anyone passes on it. Thanks !
Shoot me an email if you haven't already. nick.akin@musicarnw.com
Old 02-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

[QUOTE=1 Definitely thoughts... and some R&D in the works. Working with factory amplifier power and the lack of a real EQ, we need to make sure whatever is done there is a worthy improvement. I want to have a solution, just need to take the proper time to be certain it's the perfect one for that application.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to this if you can make it happen!
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

My $0.02. Mine came in over the weekend. Put them in today and the sound is great - Thanks Nick.

Regarding the connectors in the old tweeters - yes it is difficult in getting them out but here is what I did. After pulling the old speaker up, cover the dash with a cloth, press down on one end of the silver metal strap holding the tweeter in the cover. This will release the tweeter. You will see a small hole that was covered by the strap. Use a very small screwdriver (mine was 1.8mm wide) and work the connector out. Regarding the hex bolts- just wiggle them back and forth when putting them in. That will insure that they are centered.

Quick Reply: Musicar Northwest Group Buy — 991 High-End Tweeter Upgrade