Sponsored by:

Engine clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
We had a Rennlister lose a motor during European Delivery. I'll try to find the old post and link here tomorrow. IIRC, that's the only other engine failure I can remember the past 4 years.

Link here from 2015:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8986...-2-300-km.html

Found one more from 2013:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/789209-new-engine.html
Don't forget me! check early in this thread for my motor replacement info.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
You didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes stuff breaks. This is actually the first non-GT3 991 engine I've heard of failing. It's extremely rare and has zero to do with the 996/997.1 problems. The parts that failed on those engines (RMS and IMS) do not even exist on the 9A1 engine, and the cracked cylinder liner problem also has not reappeared.
Your entire post is basically inaccurate, with the exception of the cylinder liner D chunk.

Firstly, yes, the Intermediate shaft was removed from the 9A1 design. However, since it continues to have a crankshaft, it has an RMS or rear main seal. Furthermore, an RMS failure is an oil leak, not a catastrophic engine failure.

Now then, while the 996/997.1 motors are known for the IMS, they actually have approximately 26 failure modes, including cracked heads, cracked cylinder walls, tensioner paddle failures and, at relevance here, bore scoring. The incidence of bore scoring in these motors is climbing and as per jake raby, the 9A1 is not immune.

so no, the m96/7 problems are not entirely removed in the 9A1.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Your entire post is basically inaccurate, with the exception of the cylinder liner D chunk.

Firstly, yes, the Intermediate shaft was removed from the 9A1 design. However, since it continues to have a crankshaft, it has an RMS or rear main seal. Furthermore, an RMS failure is an oil leak, not a catastrophic engine failure.

Now then, while the 996/997.1 motors are known for the IMS, they actually have approximately 26 failure modes, including cracked heads, cracked cylinder walls, tensioner paddle failures and, at relevance here, bore scoring. The incidence of bore scoring in these motors is climbing and as per jake raby, the 9A1 is not immune.

so no, the m96/7 problems are not entirely removed in the 9A1.
1. I was not attempting to provide a definitive list of M96 & 7 engine problems, so not sure what your complaint is here.
2. I did not say that an RMS leak is a type of engine failure. I said the RMS is a part that fails with great regularity on M96 & 7 engines -- which is true.
3. The 9A1 has a significantly different case and RMS design and so far I haven't heard of a single leak. I should have phrased it more precisely but the point remains true that RMS leaks appear to have been all but eliminated.
4. Have a nice day.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Christian01
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------

Last edited by Christian01; 08-27-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
I thought the MA code related to the engine and the second code (your "G" code) related to the transmission.
Nope. The first is the engine assembly (don't know if it's supposed to also cover the transaxle or not), so each different 3.4L model has a different last letter, denoting a Cayman S, GTS, or 911. The second designation is the serial number, with the first leter denoting the year (G=2016,F=2015,E=2014,H=2017, etc.), which should coincide with the 10th VIN digit. What I don't know is if an engine designation with a manual transmission is the same as with PDK. I assume the transaxle has its own designation and S/N, but it's not listed on VIN tags.

All I know now is the rapid ticking in my car as reported by Pjunk (the mildest), is there since day 1, so definitely not oil related. Still making it after changing oil at 2,500 miles. No disturbing 'clacking' (or banging) sound though, as reported by Squeaks (or the even worse from Lenato), all from the planet-9 thread linked above. Curious of the outcome on Squeaks' car, after getting all lifters changed.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Anyone think that sounds similar to this? After I got my plugs changed, I noticed this sound (the day after). It sounded more like that ticking sound you get from cats (or metal contracting/expanding) after you turn the car off and it was clearly coming from under the car. Hasn't come back since and I had them run compression tests and everything to ensure everything was ok (which all came out good).

(sound in question at 1, 2, and 7 seconds in):

Last edited by K-A; 05-18-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:39 PM
Ryan991.1
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone discover the culprit of this sound? I’ve got the same sound going on in my 991.2 C2S.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:52 AM
Ferny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting the clicking noise at idle after car warms up. Cold start there is no noise until about a minute after and when accelerated noise goes away and idle is stable. Anyone know if this is normal?

Originally Posted by Jnosol
That's isn't a click, that's a "clack.....clack clack." Not minor.

Question, how old is your fuel?

Also, old oil causing sticky lifters sounds more like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOCZsBIIXNA
Old 04-22-2020, 01:49 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

On occasion, my 2019 C4S with 9k miles, will have a ticking/clicking noise at start-up. After driving for a few miles, the noise goes away.

This has been reported as "normal" as lifter noise which goes away after oil warms up and circulates. During these episodes, I drive very softly and keep RPMs below 3k until the noise ceases.

Your issue is the reverse of what has been noted.

How many miles on your car? When was your last oil change? Has your car been driven hard or lightly used?

At idle, there is mechanical "noise" with these engines, including very slight ticking, all the time. The difference is the how pronounced a noise is. That would be of concern.

Quick Reply: Engine clicking noise