Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been away from Porsche and RL for a while, thinking about a new .2 S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:44 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Been away from Porsche and RL for a while, thinking about a new .2 S.

A few years back I had an '11 997.2 GT3. I sold it to a fellow member here. Then I got onto the Mustang kick again having had two B302's and a '16 GT350 since. I've always juggled between 911's and Mustangs. Well back in August the engine in my GT350 seized while driving home from work. Ford agreed to produce another one for me but they're not producing any GT350's (R model or not) from Nov to March. That has given me a hell of a lot of time to look around....

One of the reasons why I sold my GT3 is that it wasn't the best car to drive on surface streets. Very low to the ground, real stiff suspension and clutch, solely focused on the track imo. My GT350 was a much better DD in that respect. But to be honest, my confidence in the longevity of the 5.2 FPC is a bit shaken.

So in consideration of a potential 5th 911 for me I'd want something like my old '98 C4S. A car you could DD but also tap its performance on back roads and an occasional track day. I'm thinking that the new .2 S would fit the bill. A potential new GTS might really be the sweet spot for me. I'd want an MT but only if the clutch was a bit more forgiving than my old GT3. I'd think I'd like the rev matching on the new MT quite a bit. I say this after being in a buddies M4 w/ DCT, it just seemed that the car was doing a lot for the driver. Anyway, after watching some vids online it seems that the turbos fill that torque hole of the older NA motors well. I see that as a plus for a DD, even though I do love the Mezger in the 997 GT3 and the older air cooled engines.

So if anyone cares to share an opinion, and especially an opinion between a 997.2 GT3 and a new 991.2 Carrera S, I'd appreciate that a great deal. Pricing info, potential discounting off list, ordering and scheduling process info would also be greatly appreciated. Good and fair dealers as well. After purchasing 4 cars at my local dealer they've never really cared if I come back or not imo. Of course I'll continue seeking out additional info here on RL and elsewhere.

If I choose to go forward, I just may order one and take delivery in Zuffenhausen. That has always been a bucket list dream of mine. TIA...
Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on what you wrote you need to find a dealership nearby that has a 991.2 CS with 7MT that you can test drive.

I feel you will find the 991.2 will tick all the boxes you said you are looking for. The clutch will be MUCH lighter (I had a '07 GT3 RS so I know what you mean), the high revving turbos make for both great DD torque and back road blitzing, the MT and clutch ensure you are involved and with the added power and rear wheel steering it will do very VERY well at a track day.

Do the bucket list delivery too!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Randy M
Drifting

There are a grand total of zero MT's at my local dealer. I would have thought it would have been 50/50 in their inventory. PDK's are known to be fantastic but I'm afraid the manuals are going the way of the dodo.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Don't worry about driving the manual. If that's what you want, it's great, and much lighter clutch than a GT3.

If you want a fun daily, go for a car light on the performance mods. No SPASM, no RWS, no PDCC. Probably could even get away with a Carrera over an S, but maybe not after some of the firepower you are used to.

Do it. You will be happy!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
There are a grand total of zero MT's at my local dealer. I would have thought it would have been 50/50 in their inventory. PDK's are known to be fantastic but I'm afraid the manuals are going the way of the dodo.
Have seen the percentage of MT 991's quoted at around 10% by several sources over the past year.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Randy M
Drifting

A sales rep at my local dealer said that they don't order any manuals for stock orders.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A sales rep at my local dealer said that they don't order any manuals for stock orders.
I believe it. Local dealer had a new '15 991.1 manual that sat on the lot forever (was there in Oct 2016 last I knew). Didn't help that it was speed yellow(just not a popular color here in the NE a little too loud for most).

Not there anymore but it's still in their dealership image shot. I am guessing they gave it a away in order to get it off the lot. Current inventory shows every single new 911 on the lot is PDK. They also tried to talk me out of ordering my Targa 4S with a manual...
Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Forboding future for the manuals I'm afraid if there's not much demand for them when they're new. PDK must be a fantastic transmission. Everything I've read is that they're the best out of all the manumatics available.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:58 AM
gred
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Other than the pdk v MT debate, I think the 991.2 will tick all your boxes. As quick as the 997 GT3 on track according to some of the auto mags, and way more usable on normal roads. Personally, I love the PDCC and RWS on mine and would spec both again. Turn in and stability out of the corners is fantastic.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Randy M
Drifting

If I'm not mistaken MT had said that the new C2S is faster around Willow Springs than a new GT3. Perhaps it was snowing in Rosamond the day the GT3 was out there...
Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

If I'm not mistaken MT had said that the new C2S is faster around Willow Springs than a new GT3. Perhaps it was snowing in Rosamond the day the GT3 was out there...
The editor owns a 991.2. Those .2 guys go to great lengths to justify the money they spent on their shiny new .2s... It's always a stretch given the loss of the 3.8 NA engine that they grieve.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:34 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

In many ways the 991.2 is actually a game changer for the 911 but it will be difficult for many to accept given the emotional and financial investment in the previous NA models. The engine is linear in response but w/ low end (i.e. daily driving) torque the NA engine could only wish for. The sound is not on par with the GT3 but then again you need to live above 4K rpm to get that rush which is essentially a track only reality. After living with both a 14 C4S and a 15 GT3, neither of which felt as agile or as enjoyable in real world driving, this is the first modern 911 I've owned that feels lighter and more compact than it actually is. Wouldn't have believed it had I not driven the car myself. Drive it and make your own conclusions. There are plenty of NA late model 911s to choose from if the .2 doesn't ring your bell.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:39 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by djcxxx
In many ways the 991.2 is actually a game changer for the 911 but it will be difficult for many to accept given the emotional and financial investment in the previous NA models. The engine is linear in response but w/ low end (i.e. daily driving) torque the NA engine could only wish for. The sound is not on par with the GT3 but then again you need to live above 4K rpm to get that rush which is essentially a track only reality. After living with both a 14 C4S and a 15 GT3, neither of which felt as agile or as enjoyable in real world driving, this is the first modern 911 I've owned that feels lighter and more compact than it actually is. Wouldn't have believed it had I not driven the car myself. Drive it and make your own conclusions. There are plenty of NA late model 911s to choose from if the .2 doesn't ring your bell.
This is what I'm anticipating. Thanks for your comment.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Deanda
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited several months until my local dealer took delivery of a .2 mt S so I could test drive. It was incredibly fun - short throws, smooth and clutch was perfect. I went directly from test drive and put order in for .2 mt s4 cab. FWIW - the .2 S was much more fun to drive on the suburban road than my buddies '15 GTS 4 automatic.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:03 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Perfect winter DD 911!

delete

Quick Reply: Been away from Porsche and RL for a while, thinking about a new .2 S.