DASH CAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DASH CAM

Hi Experts!

Ive never had a dash cam before, but I think it's about time I purchased one for my incoming 4S.

Anyone have any recommendations?
My desires are crystal clear images, and easy to install. Price isn't necessarily a factor but obviously if a cheaper model does the same thing as the pricey ones, I will pick the more affordable option. I would not be installing it myself if I need to tinker around with anything in the fuse box. I'm just not comfortable with doing that.

There was a sponsored ad on Facebook for one that seemed really interesting. It puts graphics on the screen - showing your speed, G Force, Pitch Dive, Body Roll, as well as of course crystal clear footage.

Here's the link.

https://shop.waylens.com/?utm_source...m_medium=27.2a

What do you all think?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

A video on youtube I found on this...

Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The Waylens is really cool, but its feature set is more oriented towards that of a track cam than it is a dash cam. It is also $500 ($450 is they are still making the buy-early offer). If you want one with all of the track-oriented data then I think it is the best way to go.

I'm very happy with my Vantrue X2. It's only $170 on Amazon, has excellent resolution at 2660x1440p (higher than the Waylens) and very high bit rate (~20mbps) for less loss from compression, great day/night performance, and has a really nice mount that simplifies movement between cars. This is my second dash cam (first one finally died) so I spent a lot of time researching the cost/performance aspect of things and can recommend this one. The other popular but more expensive choice are the Blackvue cameras, but I don't think they have one with 1440p resolution yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHM8GAI It you want it to record GPS info you can add that for another $22. I'm just giving you an alternative though. It depends on the features you are after. If you go with this camera, you'll need to make sure you get a high quality memory card with a UHS-II rating to handle the high data rate (my first attempt with the slower Class 10 card from my prior camera didn't work out)

Last edited by StormRune; 10-25-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
The Waylens is really cool, but its feature set is more oriented towards that of a track cam than it is a dash cam. It is also $500 ($450 is they are still making the buy-early offer). If you want one with all of the track-oriented data then I think it is the best way to go.

I'm very happy with my Vantrue X2. It's only $170 on Amazon, has excellent resolution at 2660x1440p (higher than the Waylens) and very high bit rate (~20mbps) for less loss from compression, great day/night performance, and has a really nice mount that simplifies movement between cars. This is my second dash cam (first one finally died) so I spent a lot of time researching the cost/performance aspect of things and can recommend this one. The other popular but more expensive choice are the Blackvue cameras, but I don't think they have one with 1440p resolution yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IHM8GAI It you want it to record GPS info you can add that for another $22. I'm just giving you an alternative though. It depends on the features you are after. If you go with this camera, you'll need to make sure you get a high quality memory card with a UHS-II rating (my first attempt with a slower Class 10 card didn't work out)
Hi! AND THANK YOU.

^^ I was also looking at the one you specified. Kind of glad you mentioned it because there's no better review than a personal one. Going to do some research on it. Likely this is the direction I will be going in.

I am a novice - and have never been on a track - and don't plan to track my car. Perhaps once or twice at most.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The technology is changing fast . There are dashcam Forums where these changes are discussed- search for "Dashcamtalk". I used them to decide on buying one for each of my cars.
I suggest that you get one with a separate rear camera but no GPS. The GPS data will disclose your speed (cough !) .
The rear camera will show the bad decisions made by the guy who rear ends you while texting ! In my case he claimed I cut him off. Then I revealed the Camera data. Nailed him as a liar to both Insurance companies.They really do not like that ! Without the camera I would have had no evidence.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:25 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to Schnell. Get a system which gives you the option of not recording and printing vehicle telemetry on the video, and strongly consider both front and rear cameras.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:10 AM
py0413
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I am also looking to purchase a dash cam, thanks for sharing those info.

Another thing is, I often wonder why the manufactures do not provide build-in camera as a recorder. Nowadays, so many cars, especially in higher price range, come with front/side/rear cameras; wouldn't that be convenient that they use those cameras for such feature?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
I am also looking to purchase a dash cam, thanks for sharing those info.

Another thing is, I often wonder why the manufactures do not provide build-in camera as a recorder. Nowadays, so many cars, especially in higher price range, come with front/side/rear cameras; wouldn't that be convenient that they use those cameras for such feature?
Option on the Corvette, now. Would be cool to see this feature incorporated on more and more cars, though...
Old 10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks like overkill. Here is small set and forget -
https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-CR65...keywords=cr65w

Sample

Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Generally the more you spend, the better the camera works in lower light and changing light conditions. Cheaper cameras do fine on bright sunny days but lack performance elsewhere.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Most cameras that are not toys work well enough in low light these days. Look at what they can do in a small space within a smartphone.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Most cameras that are not toys work well enough in low light these days. Look at what they can do in a small space within a smartphone.
this is correct. It's insurance proof and not meant to film a movie.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a $30 amazon special expecting crap, it is wonderful - almost better than my go pro and has a parking mode to see who "love-taps" me... That feature has been very useful in the past to exact revenge ;-) All this to say this tech is cheap now, no need to go nuts...
Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
I bought a $30 amazon special expecting crap, it is wonderful - almost better than my go pro and has a parking mode to see who "love-taps" me... That feature has been very useful in the past to exact revenge ;-) All this to say this tech is cheap now, no need to go nuts...
What was it?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:15 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

I have the Thinkware F770 Dual installed in my Tesla Model S. AFAIK, there is not a better dash cam available.

Quick Reply: DASH CAM