DASH CAM

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Most cameras that are not toys work well enough in low light these days. Look at what they can do in a small space within a smartphone.
Not saying an inexpensive camera won't work "well enough". But just as I think the 991 is a perfect size, and 993 owners think it's a limo, your desired results from a dashcam might vary.

Nick Murray did a YouTube video on a few dash cams that showed the differences side by side. Pretty good to see what you are paying extra for. Whether it's worth it is all up to you.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:10 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
What was it?
I don;t think it's that important, all more or less similar...

Mine was Car Black Box, ZeroEdge® 2.4" Windshield/Dashboard Car DVR , HD Dash Cam, DVR Accident Video Recorder with 135°View Angle, Full HD 1080P with G-Sensor
Sold by: Zero Edge Technology, LLC
2x for $62.99

It's recording at night, it's as pretty as a go pro... It's $31 if it breaks ;-) The hard part is mounting, routing wires...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Looks like overkill. Here is small set and forget -
https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-CR65...keywords=cr65w
Just a note. In my prior post I mentioned the Vantrue is my second dash cam, my first was a DoD Tech. It did have good video performance and 1080p, but it also failed at around its two year anniversary. I understand that can be the luck of the draw and I lost on that one. In any case, the 1440p resolution, mount, and user interface on the Vantrue is better, but it does cost a little more.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Old 10-25-2016, 09:52 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Any comments re: hard wiring to power source and mounting challenges/tips?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:44 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the Thinkware F750 (approx $250 at Bestbuy) with the $99 rear cam add on and the $20 direct wire kit.

For parking standby mode to work you need a fuse to hook into that turns off when the ignition turns off. Most stay live or are delayed in shutting down.

I found the one (?) fuse that seemed to turn off with the ignition switch almost immediately ( and putting the dash cam into its low drain parking mode): the passenger side row D slot 3 ( for the PDCC control unit, which was blank in my 2012,5 car) . I inserted a 5 amp fuse into the unused slot with the dash cam ACC lead attached and the unit went into parking mode when the ignition was turned off.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
I don;t think it's that important, all more or less similar...

Mine was Car Black Box, ZeroEdge® 2.4" Windshield/Dashboard Car DVR , HD Dash Cam, DVR Accident Video Recorder with 135°View Angle, Full HD 1080P with G-Sensor
Sold by: Zero Edge Technology, LLC
2x for $62.99

It's recording at night, it's as pretty as a go pro... It's $31 if it breaks ;-) The hard part is mounting, routing wires...
I am curious how you use it. Do you run it all the time when driving? Are you concerned that it could be considered material if you had a high speed incident?

I bought a suction cup holder with a flexible arm to hold my iPhone to take videos of some of my favorite driving routes. But there are times that I'd like a video recording of idiots on their phones running me off the road - but then again, I am not sure I would want to show up on somebody's video.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I am curious how you use it. Do you run it all the time when driving? Are you concerned that it could be considered material if you had a high speed incident?
When hitting someone with the front of your car a judge will look at it to see it was not your fault. Otherwise it is your problem by default. Mine is on all the time - set, forget and on/off with the car.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

When hitting someone with the front of your car a judge will look at it to see it was not your fault. Otherwise it is your problem by default. Mine is on all the time - set, forget and on/off with the car.
After pondering this, it seems like a double-edged sword to me.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Not sure what you mean but hit something with the front of your car and it's your fault (without video showing otherwise).
Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

After pondering this, it seems like a double-edged sword to me.
That is certainly true. If/when that is a concern recording can be turned off, or conversely, automatic recording at car start can be disabled and it can be turned on as desired. I keep mine on most of the time though. If you use a suction cup mount, it is also possible for it to quickly be removed if you ever have the occasion to do so.

I figure that virtually of the near-accidents I've avoided in recent years were due to someone else's mistake. I figure it is too easy for others to assume that the guy in the fast looking sports car must have been at fault and I want to be able to demonstrate otherwise (assuming it wasn't my fault)... both for liability and insurance reasons.

The other plus is over the last couple of years I've ended up with several amusing clips to show family and friends of other people doing stupid stuff, plus it is handy for when I go autocrossing to help review my performance.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Any comments re: hard wiring to power source and mounting challenges/tips?
It's easy to tuck the cord into the gap between the windshield and the trim around it with almost none of the cord being visible. I've run it from the mirror area, to the right around the passenger side of the windshield, load it neatly against the edge of the A pillar and the dash where it is visible but discrete, then run it down the edge of the door frame and back behind the top edge of the passenger carpet to the passenger-side lighter adapter. Since that is switched (with a delay), the camera just turns on and off by itself. I'm on the road for the next few days but can provide a few photos when I return if desired.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:20 AM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Scanned through here and didn't see anyone mention the BlackVue systems. We use them on a regular basis and get great feedback. High quality, great picture quality, and they look great in the 991. My recommendation on ANY system is to use something like the PowerMagic PRO to let the system record after the car is shut off. It's nice to get a plate if someone backs into you while parked.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:34 AM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dash cam (and rear cam) is something I have been contemplating getting for my 991.2 cab. I do have one on my BMW. How should I think about installing the rear one in a convertible? Note:most of the time I drive with my top down. Thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
It's easy to tuck the cord into the gap between the windshield and the trim around it with almost none of the cord being visible. I've run it from the mirror area, to the right around the passenger side of the windshield, load it neatly against the edge of the A pillar and the dash where it is visible but discrete, then run it down the edge of the door frame and back behind the top edge of the passenger carpet to the passenger-side lighter adapter. Since that is switched (with a delay), the camera just turns on and off by itself. I'm on the road for the next few days but can provide a few photos when I return if desired.
I run the cord the same way. Also the suction cups invariably let loose so I have a thin wire tethering it to the rear view mirror. When it come off it just dangles rather than come crashing down.

Quick Reply: DASH CAM