Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:23 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Default Rusty Brakes

Cross post from my delivery thread.

In short, I get puddles of rusty water from the wheels when I wash my car. Having had German cars before, I expect some surface rust from on the rotors after washing (or maybe it's performance rotors, my FSport Lexus gets it as well).

This car, takes it to the extreme. Literally rusty puddles of water. I am using Meguars Wheel Brightener. Same as in my Cayenne, no issues there.

Will Hyde help?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Hyde helps a bit for the surface, but the water sits on the back side of the rotors. Helps to use a Master Blaster to blow the water out. Really, even with that, you need to take a quick drive to spin the water out and then go back and wipe down the wheels.

Washing these wheels and getting them spotless takes some tricks, patience, and some time!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Hyde helps a bit for the surface, but the water sits on the back side of the rotors. Helps to use a Master Blaster to blow the water out. Really, even with that, you need to take a quick drive to spin the water out and then go back and wipe down the wheels.

Washing these wheels and getting them spotless takes some tricks, patience, and some time!
Hmm, thanks. I need some more gas for my leaf blower. I'm just surprised it's so much worse than the Cayenne, which has similar front brakes.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

You are so right. I use a waterless wash product to wipe the wheels after the quick drive and other times between washing. Works well. Cover the rotors with a small towel so they don't rust from the waterless wash spray. My wheels stay spotless for a long time.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:36 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Change your rotors to SEBRO, they don't rust.

Quick Reply: Rusty Brakes