Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I get it. OP wants the deep sound without the popping. Not everyone wants to sound like a Cup car.

I'm on the fence over this myself. My 996 has PSE and it sounds great - deep and no cackling. For my 991.2 order considering going with base exhaust and adding x-pipe.

Could the OP disconnect the PSE valves so it's always closed?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:34 PM
rtremaine
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 13 year old me would have thought the pops and crackles are pretty kick-*** and let's face it that's who I really bought the car for.

If you disconnect the valves I think they're always open right? I think the vacuum lines actually close the valves, or is that only on the S non-pse?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I have no idea why you would want to get rid of that. I am seriously depressed that it is getting too cool to put down my top so I can hear it even better. I was just told today how awesome my car sounds. Maybe trade in for a Lexus?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasttr
LOL!!! my first thought
Old 10-24-2016, 10:55 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Program out the crackles and pops?!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
I have no idea why you would want to get rid of that. I am seriously depressed that it is getting too cool to put down my top so I can hear it even better. I was just told today how awesome my car sounds. Maybe trade in for a Lexus?
I can't believe you drive a cab, which isn't a real sports car, but you don't see me posting that, do you? Oh wait.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your feelings about my taste in exhaust sounds. I am grateful we could go on this journey of sharing and discovery together.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:19 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

It's fake, in that there is no reason for it to be happening other than effect. It's real in that yes, it is genuine mild backfiring, not some computerized sound. But the only reason it's there is for effect.
Well, you might be right. But if something is fake because it has no reason for being other than for effect, my entire ownership experience is fake. The only reason I have my 991 is for the effect it has on my happiness. When I think of something as fake I think of something presented as something it is not. It has nothing to do with its justification for being.

And a small point: backfiring happens in the intake, not the exhaust. My car does not backfire, and I hope yours does not either.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I often regret not getting PSE but every now and again I feel the same as you. I think I'll get a side muffler delete instead of retrofitting the PSE first. Given that those of us with the S but without PSE have the same function but not the overrun sound you'd think it would be possible to do what you're looking for.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosell
Well, you might be right. But if something is fake because it has no reason for being other than for effect, my entire ownership experience is fake. The only reason I have my 991 is for the effect it has on my happiness. When I think of something as fake I think of something presented as something it is not. It has nothing to do with its justification for being.

And a small point: backfiring happens in the intake, not the exhaust. My car does not backfire, and I hope yours does not either.
Nicely said, and largely agree.

But backfiring can happen in both intake and exhaust, assuming by "backfiring" we mean gasoline that is burned outside the combustion chamber.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Wharf Rat
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm spending $3500 to have the pops and crackles added to my car tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Vinh Nguyen (06-07-2021)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:50 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One small thing to add is that the overrun sound is there even without PSE. I believe it's just more pronounced with the PSE.

I have a 991 S with nonPSR and still hear the overrun
Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Switch to sport plus, which is the real performance mode, and it goes away.
Huh? Maybe it's a GTS thing but I drive in Sport+ 100% of the time, and I have massive, deeply flatulant rumbling, popping, burbling on decel after downshifts.

In fact, yesterday I was curious if the sound abated at all when using Sport without the +. So I did a series of decel tests with the button in Sport and also Sport+. I couldn't tell any real difference, but fancied that if there was a diff, it was slightly quieter in Sport.

Of course, in Normal, it all goes away.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I can't believe you drive a cab, which isn't a real sports car, but you don't see me posting that, do you? Oh wait.

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your feelings about my taste in exhaust sounds. I am grateful we could go on this journey of sharing and discovery together.
There are times when I don't want the pops too but want the deeper PSE sound. At those times I'll just enable PSE without Sport or Sport Plus and the pops mostly disappear. That's the only option I'm aware of for you. (And then there are the times my alter-ego kicks in and the pops are a plus!)

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Huh? Maybe it's a GTS thing but I drive in Sport+ 100% of the time, and I have massive, deeply flatulant rumbling, popping, burbling on decel after downshifts.

In fact, yesterday I was curious if the sound abated at all when using Sport without the +. So I did a series of decel tests with the button in Sport and also Sport+. I couldn't tell any real difference, but fancied that if there was a diff, it was slightly quieter in Sport.

Of course, in Normal, it all goes away.
My car's behavior is just like NoGaBiker's. Sport and Sport Plus both crackle and pop just fine and if there is a difference in sound it is pretty fine. I do prefer Sport Plus in manual mode though since you get the great combo of crackly exhaust, firmer shifts, the firmed-up dynamic engine mounts, and the PSM relaxes and lets you get a bit more slip and slide before kicking in.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM
cmorv
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed far more popping in Sport mode when lettting off the throttle vs. Sport+ mode in my 911.2, IMO?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

I hate all that fake sportiness crap. Injecting too much fuel for no reason just to make silly noises "because race car" is a perfect description of what porsche has become...a joke.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?