30% deposit, 76.5% Import Tax, No Discount, and 10% Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 04:38 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
It's Taiwan.

This island has one dealer who monopolized Porsche and BMW since 1970's.
I bet nobody complains about the small seats - front or rear - there. Amiright?
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM
OfficeDucati
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yet they all flock to the greatest county in the world to spend billions on real estate, go to medical school, and party up the night away. Hmmmmm... I don't envy them at all except being able to out produce us. They laugh at how they're able to export so much to countries that are "too advanced" and "too good" to make anything. , while they make BILLIONS and BILLIONS $$$$$$$$$ off us. We're above making anything less than $15/hr to make a Starbucks Latte and anything that will contribute to cow flatulence.

Oh yeah, we're pretty good at making Kardashian and Housewives reality shows and products that are "Designed in California" and made in China.
Taiwan not China. Most of the things you went off about are what people from mainland China do here in the US.

I do have to admit though that the import tax on cars in both countries is atrocious. Unfortunately, that's the norm in most Asian countries. My father in law just took delivery of a moderately optioned 718 Boxster in South Korea. 110k USD. Ouch!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:03 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I've lived in 5 countries and currently own and operate businesses in 3, including the US and Singapore. What I will say is things generally work out in the wash. What's expensive in one country can be cheaper in another, how one country levies taxes and fees varies hugely, and what's important to people can be vastly different across borders. Picking out one item like the cost of luxury cars is hugely misleading, you need to look across the board at things like the cost of and availability of decent housing, schools, food, transport, healthcare, the list goes on.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:52 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, sorry I havent replied but I appreciate all the excellent comments. I thought people in this forum are quite nice.

I talked and went to the Porsche dealer again.

The thing that bugged me the most is the I have to pay 30% upfront and may have to wait 8 to 12 months for the car (originally thought 3 to 4 months). They called this "Futures" cars, like you invest in futures in equities.

I thought this is complete BS. The dealer is just getting free cash interest for almost a year. The other things I can kind of ignore.

Quick Reply: 30% deposit, 76.5% Import Tax, No Discount, and 10% Penalty