Sponsored by:

30% deposit, 76.5% Import Tax, No Discount, and 10% Penalty

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
I've heard a rumor that the parents buy these cars for their kids to use for a year or two and then ship them back home to sell for huge profit. Again rumor...
Interesting. I wonder if that works in more than a few countries.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Others are significantly higher...

Google pulled this site up which lists import duty and sales tax for most countries. Egypt and India have rates well over 100%:

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/22...-finland-is-1/
Old 10-24-2016, 05:21 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice duty tax
Old 10-24-2016, 05:59 PM
steve9
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

I wonder how many forum members are qualified to criticise foreign nation's taxation system and label it as corruption. Might it not occur to anyone that Taiwan is a small island with a population density more than an order of magnitude greater than the USA and they, like Singapore, may just want to limit the number of cars on the road? Gary, you will be pleased to hear that Norway is not far behind with a C2S costing equivalent of $188,000 and Singapore taking the lead with $365,000.

Meanwhile the Taiwanese will be laughing at our social and healthcare systems and the extraordinary amount of time and money spent on litigation.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
I live in a university town that has a large international student population. Very common to see Bentley, Aston Martin, Porsche, one Lamborghini that I know of, and 6 figure Mecedes, BMW and Audi near campus. Not hard to understand why when these cars are a bargain compared to what they cost in their home country.

I've heard a rumor that the parents buy these cars for their kids to use for a year or two and then ship them back home to sell for huge profit. Again rumor...
The rumor I heard, is that's Lovie Smith's top recruits cars for the 2017 season.

Hey, do you know Prof. Zumdahl? He's a HUGE car guy.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by steve9

Meanwhile the Taiwanese will be laughing at our social and healthcare systems and the extraordinary amount of time and money spent on litigation.

Yet they all flock to the greatest county in the world to spend billions on real estate, go to medical school, and party up the night away. Hmmmmm... I don't envy them at all except being able to out produce us. They laugh at how they're able to export so much to countries that are "too advanced" and "too good" to make anything. , while they make BILLIONS and BILLIONS $$$$$$$$$ off us. We're above making anything less than $15/hr to make a Starbucks Latte and anything that will contribute to cow flatulence.

Oh yeah, we're pretty good at making Kardashian and Housewives reality shows and products that are "Designed in California" and made in China.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Yet they all flock to the greatest county in the world to spend billions on real estate, go to medical school, and party up the night away. Hmmmmm... I don't envy them at all except being able to out produce us. They laugh at how they're able to export so much to countries that are "too advanced" and "too good" to make anything. , while they make BILLIONS and BILLIONS $$$$$$$$$ off us. We're above making anything less than $15/hr to make a Starbucks Latte and anything that will contribute to cow flatulence.

Oh yeah, we're pretty good at making Kardashian and Housewives reality shows and products that are "Designed in California" and made in China.
Don't rant, vote!
I know I am
Old 10-24-2016, 07:08 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In Australia we have a wealth redistribution scheme known as the Luxury Car Tax - the threshold is $75,000 and the tax rate applied to any dollar above this is 33%.

On top of this you pay GST and Stamp Duty. Thus a well optioned C2S can cost $300,000 AUD or about $225,000 USD.

The purpose of the GST was to remove extraneous taxes such as stamp duty and LCT. The reality is, if you live in Australia and are in the top 10% of income earners you will find you are part of a group that pays over 55% of the total tax take.

The reality of this is the most successful and productive people tend sell their businesses or retire early. The harm to the economy (long term) is significant.

The other market based reality is it takes time to get an allocation (high demand even at these prices) for a build order and you will likely wait for 9 months to get your car (part of the cost in Australia is meeting Australian regs and RHD).
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The rumor I heard, is that's Lovie Smith's top recruits cars for the 2017 season.

Hey, do you know Prof. Zumdahl? He's a HUGE car guy.
My boy Steve! He's a character.

Is a verb missing from the first sentence?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Wow...I'll sell them mine and go get a 991R with the profit! LOL
Old 10-25-2016, 08:25 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Interesting. I wonder if that works in more than a few countries.
Huge profit? No. but with a stronger euro a few years ago, you could almost buy a new Porsche in the USA, drive it a year and sell it in Europe for the same price. Mind you, you can only import one car/year as a personal use vehicle and you have to own it 1 year abroad and 1 year in the country you are importing it in before selling.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Yup. You read the title correctly...In some country in Asia...If enough people replies, I will reveal this lovely country....
Timor-Leste??
Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM
guod
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
It's Taiwan.

This island has one dealer who monopolized Porsche and BMW since 1970's.
When I was in Taiwan I passed by a dealer to look. A 4 GTS similar spec to my car was just above double the CAD equivalent.

Also the experience at the dealership was a bit odd. The guy didn't stop following me around after I told him I just wanted to look.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I sold M-Bs for many years and would have university students in purchasing new cars with cash (from parents). It also wasn't unusual for their parents to purchase a home in an upscale area for the student to live in with the idea it would increase in value during the four year period and the profit would cover some of expense of their children's education.
I sold new M-Bs to a couple Asian's, one a MD from Taiwan, here on long term stays (sabbaticals for research). They were in the US long enough to enable them to ship them home as used vehicles and avoid the high new car taxes. They saved a ton of $$ doing that.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:04 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

It similarly may happen here as well if Trump gets into office. Tariff on imports is something he is pursuing heavily.

Quick Reply: 30% deposit, 76.5% Import Tax, No Discount, and 10% Penalty