Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is buying 991 with repaired body damage bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:17 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Were the front tires replaced due to the accident? It looks like the front driver tire could have been damaged, and maybe they replaced both. Two new rear tires in 10k miles is not likely a sign of abuse.

Tough call. That is a decent price if the damage were merely cosmetic, but as mentioned, do you want to deal wth the hassle of explaining it when you decide to sell it? Bid $70k if you really like the car, and maybe you will score a great deal

I would pass, personally.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:28 PM
rwel
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Two tires were replaced at 10,000 miles. Accident was May 2016 at about 18,000. Clear damage to at least front left wheel. I'm guessing one or both left side wheels were replaced. I'll learn more this week. It's at a place called Team One Motorcars in Atlanta. Found it online...know nothing about them.

Consensus seems to say pass on this one, and I probably will. I'm not a flipper at all- I keep cars too long if anything- so I want my first Porsche to be a keeper.

Just wanted to pick the collective brains of this group of enthusiasts. And I truly appreciate your insights. Wife says pass and buy CPO from dealer. No shortage of cars in my area. Probably best idea.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
If this was my choice and I really loved the color and options and planned long term ownership I would buy it if the price reflected a downward adjustment for the previous damage and it checked out cosmetically and mechanically. I would take it to a Porsche mechanic and have it thoroughly inspected and drive it looking for anything unusual.

If you are a guy that likes to flip cars and plan short term ownership I would not buy it because you will deal with the hassle of trying to sell it to people who want it to be perfect.
This is good advice. Would add that the damage doesn't look (at least in the pics) significant -- just cosmetic. It's one thing if structural parts of the car were bent or mechanicals were affected. If the damage was minor and it was repaired correctly, and if there is documentation/pictures that prove the insignificance of the damage (both for you now and for the day you sell it), that's a hell of a lot of car for mid-$70K. Half the sticker. I'd offer $72K and go from there.

I was looking for one optioned out like that one, and it took months of looking to find one.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:06 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Kind of related to the reduced-price, but you'll want to take into consideration that 75-85% of the potential buyer's market wouldn't buy this one regardless of the discount unless it was pretty extreme, at least if you attempt to do a private party sale later on. You'd have to ask yourself if you are willing to deal with that or just go the easier route with a truly clean Carfax'ed car. Myself, I'd rather have the whole market potentially interested.

It is a pretty nicely outfitted one though! It is pretty much the doppelgänger to mine. You are on the right track.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by rwel
Thanks for all the responses. Lex, I did say clean Carfax with notable exception, which is of course the reason I posted.
Sorry, Rwel, you are correct. I didn't read it that way the first time. I tought you were saying the CarFax was clean, and the repair was done "off the books" somehow and didn't show. In my defense, I was drinking IPAs, (Deschutes, West Coast, and one other) eating chicken wings, and watching the Cubs destroy Kershaw when I posted.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If you are going to sell in the next 3 to 4 years then your market will shrink a lot. However, if you are going to keep the car longer then I would be less concerned about it. My car was involved in a fender bender before I purchased it and I think I got a good deal because of it. The MSRP of my car is over $140K and I was not willing to pay for one that that was $10+K higher at the time. I have had zero issues with the car so for me it was the right deal.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:35 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

agree if you're gonna keep the car 4-5+ yrs and its what you want go for it. Its a great price for a '15 C4S optioned out. I say that cause by the time you go to sell it...the damage may be less relevant to buyers and market availability may likely had decreased a bit. On the other hand if you are **** about your car and the carfax and it would bother you to know end and/or plan to move into something else soon...then pass. Plenty of 911.1s out there especially now that the 991.2 has dropped into our midst. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:33 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Depends on whether you plan to keep the car long term or not.

I bought my 991 with $35k in total damage (3 seperate insurance fraud claims all within 3 weeks of each other...) and easily bought the car for $18k less than market and its a CPO car from a Porsche dealer. It was the color and options I wanted and actually my factory warranty expired yesterday and my CPO started today...

I'm happy with my car.

Quick Reply: Is buying 991 with repaired body damage bad idea?