Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex M4 owner looking for advice C2S or C4S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:46 AM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ex M4 owner looking for advice C2S or C4S?

Test drove and started out with building 991.2 Carrera with burmester and manual. Dealer agrees with 5% discount. Then I started to look one notch up Carrera S (used) and also found one new same price range C4S, both manual.

1. Would C4S a better choice even though we don't have snow around here? I thought it is better handling regardless
2. Could I swap out the standard exhaust with Sport Exhaust if it doesn't come with one? PSE so intoxicated!

Many thanks.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:41 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by quattr0
Test drove and started out with building 991.2 Carrera with burmester and manual. Dealer agrees with 5% discount. Then I started to look one notch up Carrera S (used) and also found one new same price range C4S, both manual.

1. Would C4S a better choice even though we don't have snow around here? I thought it is better handling regardless
2. Could I swap out the standard exhaust with Sport Exhaust if it doesn't come with one? PSE so intoxicated!

Many thanks.
1. No such thing as a 'better' choice. Both come down to personal taste, planned use of the car, price, etc. Check my garage. Never snows in LA.

2. Easy to swap to PSE on a 991.1S or 4S. Was the first thing I did when I bought my 4S. About $3800 all in. Bit more costly on a .2.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response. Nice garage! Looks like we have same taste as 335i is my DD. Price is not an issue I think better offer will win.

Don't you have to replace rear bumper on .2 for PSE as the pipes are in the middle vs dual on both sides for standard exhaust?
Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Test drive all the models you might like, and then decide. Check the HFS thread if you want to find a GREAT deal.

I went from a '15 S4 to a .1 C2S since I wanted to get away from AWD. My 911 is not a DD, but I still bought winter tires so I can drive it all year; clearance seems to be the main issue with snow, not traction.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:28 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by quattr0
Thanks for the quick response. Nice garage! Looks like we have same taste as 335i is my DD. Price is not an issue I think better offer will win.

Don't you have to replace rear bumper on .2 for PSE as the pipes are in the middle vs dual on both sides for standard exhaust?
Thanks. We like the 335i a lot, but I think we'll keep it for one more year and move on to a Macan S or Turbo. The wife misses her Audi Q5, and I want something more entertaining to drive when I'm not in the 911. I wouldn't mind an M3/M4, but it's overkill for her and not worth the Insurance hike that would come with it.

You will have to replace the rear valance, but its a basic piece of plastic and I wouldn't consider that part a big cost driver. The cost will come with new side cans, center exhaust, and associated vacuum lines.

I would suggest as others will no doubt offer up, there are many sites to source the 'ideal' car for you with factory installed items that won't cause you to have to perform upgrades once you get your new ride home. Far cheaper and less of a hassle. That said, I do like modding my cars, so to each their own.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:47 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Test drive all the models you might like, and then decide. Check the HFS thread if you want to find a GREAT deal.

I went from a '15 S4 to a .1 C2S since I wanted to get away from AWD. My 911 is not a DD, but I still bought winter tires so I can drive it all year; clearance seems to be the main issue with snow, not traction.
Thank you!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Originally Posted by daberlin
Thanks. We like the 335i a lot, but I think we'll keep it for one more year and move on to a Macan S or Turbo. The wife misses her Audi Q5, and I want something more entertaining to drive when I'm not in the 911. I wouldn't mind an M3/M4, but it's overkill for her and not worth the Insurance hike that would come with it.

You will have to replace the rear valance, but its a basic piece of plastic and I wouldn't consider that part a big cost driver. The cost will come with new side cans, center exhaust, and associated vacuum lines.

I would suggest as others will no doubt offer up, there are many sites to source the 'ideal' car for you with factory installed items that won't cause you to have to perform upgrades once you get your new ride home. Far cheaper and less of a hassle. That said, I do like modding my cars, so to each their own.
Thank you! Will spend some more time for sure.

I love the n54. Last BMW w hydraulic steering i believe. Its a great DD especially one could make it to 800whp if inclined.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:22 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

I truly can't wait to go car shopping again after reading all these posts about comparisons. I drove one car and bought it. CPO is the way to go.

The hips on the C4S sold me pretty quick.

BTW the C4S is a beast of grip and handling especially in the dry with PDCC..... I LOL every time I hang it out on the twisty back roads where other cars would fail miserably.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 10-22-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:14 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had several BMW Ms and a MB E63 (my last car was a Dinan S1 modified M6 Gran Coupe with over 700hp) I drove the 911.2 S and 4S and really liked the planted feel of the 4S. I could apply almost as much power as I wanted and not constantly have to manage the rear end from stepping out.

I wound up with a 2016 911.1 Turbo after the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse. I daily drive the car and have been amazed by the everyday drivability. The only issue is the space for rear seat passengers but to my surprise the front trunk plus the fold down rear seats can manage trips to Costco. The driving feel of the 911 is night and day better than any BMW M car I have driven. I have spent allot of seat time in a Dinan S1 M4 and even with the suspension and powertrain mods, the 911 is just a much better drive.

Hope this helps

Last edited by diononiz; 10-23-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:55 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i test drove C2S last week and M4 this week. i spent about 20 min ion C2S and 40 min in M4.

All I can say is I can now understand why so many people are abandoning their M4.

M4 is a car with good value but it's still a glorified 4 series. It's a big car with lots of power but doesnt really give you much driving excitement.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didnt really want to believe that 991.2 is better than M4. But I drove M4 thoroughly and it's inferior to 991 by a mile in terms of driving experience. I thought about getting a M3/4 for two years but was rather disappointed. It's not a bad car but M4 should have been much more. BMW is becoming a family sedan/SUV company if you want to ask me and they made M4 a rather blend car. I watched a lot of exciting reviews on M3/4 and I can say with a straight face that they are pretty BS. The cornering ability of M4 is rather aweful. It's very fast in straight line.

But I have to say M4 looks better in person. 991.2 is a subtle car. M4 is much more noticeable, especially the front and back.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:49 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by gary.lee
I didnt really want to believe that 991.2 is better than M4. But I drove M4 thoroughly and it's inferior to 991 by a mile in terms of driving experience. I thought about getting a M3/4 for two years but was rather disappointed. It's not a bad car but M4 should have been much more. BMW is becoming a family sedan/SUV company if you want to ask me and they made M4 a rather blend car. I watched a lot of exciting reviews on M3/4 and I can say with a straight face that they are pretty BS. The cornering ability of M4 is rather aweful. It's very fast in straight line.

But I have to say M4 looks better in person. 991.2 is a subtle car. M4 is much more noticeable, especially the front and back.
No kid EVER had a poster of an M Car on their wall wishing 'one day I'll own one of those'
The following users liked this post:
Riptide (11-01-2021)
Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Also dreamed of owning an M only to test drive the M4 and walk away really disappointed.

I was "trying" to like it and justify getting it, despite the crappy electric steering, awful exhaust, active sound, somewhat poorly sorted out traction (needs less torque or wider stickier tires).

Either Porsche will do, by comparison.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that are looking at the M4, take a look at the M2 before deciding. I drove one today and the driving experience comes very close to my base 991.1.
To the OP, since you said money is not an issue, consider a used TT instead of a new C2S or C4S. Much better value in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 468 Posts

I have an M3 as my daily driver and its not bad. Actually very good. I had mine modded a bit with an Eisenman Sport Exhaust, AWE CF intake, KW HAS shocks, HRE FF101 wheels, and finally an ESS Tune which takes the car into the M5 Powerband! So it can be a bit fun when I want it to.

That said my "other" car is a 2013 991 Carrera S I picked up and it is a whole diffferent drive than my M3. Added sport exhaust as a retrofit since it was a CPO and swapped an Akrapovic Ti exhaust instead of a PSE and the car is the business! Just needs a Cobb tune and I think life is good.

Best of both worlds man....you can't go wrong with a base 991.2 or a 991.2 C4S...as the hips are just great to look at and do add something to the car. I have a 2009 C4S before I traded it for a 2014 Cayman S and it was just a great car all around. Grip was phenomenal and even though I didn't live anywhere with lots of winter weather it did the job. C4S is also a plus if you live in areas that get lots of rain also...but are not a must have...probably will be a bit cheaper if you're outside of the northeast and Pacific Northwest to purchase also. Good luck! You've got a good problem to have I think!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Ex M4 owner looking for advice C2S or C4S?