Sponsored by:

Stuff that's weird about the 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:15 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stuff that's weird about the 991.1

Mine anyway... After 10 days, I *love* the car but I've picked up on some weird stuff... Maybe you have more or can tell me why it's not weird- or to RTFM but I haven't received the manuals yet ;-)

- Shifter indicator: On a manual, not sure what the point is because it only works *after* you release the clutch, so it's no use in case you're worried about a money downshift. Would be useful if it could display the selected gear *before* the clutch pedal is released ! (mod?)

- Fan setting: Apparently you cannot turn it off, it comes right back at startup

- Idle: it's a little rough... 600rpm when warm !! The passenger seat back shakes a little ! Put it in sports mode, boom, 800 rpm and smooth as a baby's butt... (I had it checked at the dealer, no codes, all A-ok)

- The window hiccup: Not sure what that is, but after I turn it off, the passenger window does...something.... Door is closed, window too - correct position, but it did something, like a quick drop/back up thing...

- Handbrake: it's just reversed for me ! I want to pull it to set it, push to release, I cannot get used to that ;-) At least I figured out there's no need to release it if your seat belt is on.

- The smell: Could be my car, faint burnt oil whiff outside... Oil level is good, zero drops, low miles engine, maybe they sprayed some when doing the filter change or some detailing product crap...

-The tires: I think I still have OEM tires since the car has 12K only, Goodyear eagle F1 dated 24th week of 2012. They're like new but they are crap ;-) I put the car sideways yesterday night at low speed (and low temps) in a situation where my 1972 911 would grip on tires 1/2 the size. I think they are made of wood or just aged prematurely from lack of use...

- The little upshift indicator: hopefully the manual will tell me where to turn that off...

- The 93 octane sticker.. My older 987S said 91, you'd think Porsche would remember Kalifornia doesn't have 93 - not confidence inducing...

Nitpicks, but maybe you've got suggestions... Lovely car !

Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Congrats on the car!

My gear indicator shows the gear before I release the clutch.

Fan setting....can't address that.

Idle...normal

Window...normal

Brake....just need to train your brain. Normal to me. In my experience with older cars with a foot operated brake, there was a release you pulled to release the brake. Same action as on this one.

Smell...normal. Experienced it on every 911 I drove.

Tires..getting older, not great to begin with and cold. No surprise there.

Upshift indicator...settings...display....you'll figure it out from there.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,082 Likes on 5,257 Posts

All normal.

Welcome to the 911.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:27 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

If your tires have 12k the rears are probably shot. If they don't look worn, they must have been replaced. Mine needed replaced at 7800.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My car... glitches. Turn off (sometimes) = windshield wipers jump. Like up/down, quarter inch. Maybe less.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:33 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Goodyear Eagles??? When did Porsche issue those as OE? I thought the 991's always had Pirelli rubber off the shelf....
Old 10-19-2016, 11:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
My car... glitches. Turn off (sometimes) = windshield wipers jump. Like up/down, quarter inch. Maybe less.
That too is normal. They do that to prevent the blades from sticking to the windshield. Nice design nuance if you ask me.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I can't tell where you live, but you mentioned low temps. I'm not sure if you meant low tires temps or low temps in your area. If it was low weather temps, I can really feel the difference when it gets colder here with the summer performance tires I keep on all year. In the low 40s they get really slippy until they get heated up.

In any case, I consider performance tires shot at the 4 year point just due to aging. Even normal tires are considered too hard at 6 years. The Goodyears don't ever show up on any of the preferred tire discussions here. Michelin PSS (and possibly the new PS4) are my preference if you can get them, many prefer the Michelin Sport Cup tires too. I think you'll be amazed at the difference that Michelins or one of the other popular choices will make for you.

The smell is a special part of modern 911 ownership.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I've read from one of the old experts here that the wiper jump is to keep them from sticking like plenum said. I wouldn't be surprised if the window indexing is also to keep the window and the window seal from sticking together if that door isn't opened for a long time.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:56 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Goodyear Eagles??? When did Porsche issue those as OE? I thought the 991's always had Pirelli rubber off the shelf....
Most of the Non Wide body cars I've seen got Goodyears.

All 305/20's were Pirelli
Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 AM
Gr8ful1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C2S is new and thought i was hearing things with the passenger window. Thanks for the post. Glad it is a normal thing.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Nice car, love the base wheels. But yes, you are picking the nit.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:54 AM
GregD
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Congrats on the car!

My gear indicator shows the gear before I release the clutch.
Seriously ??? Ok so that is both awesome and strange because I'm not wrong about this on my car. Can anyone else with a stick shift confirm? Maybe the PO did something to the clutch switch or maybe you did? Not even sure that makes sense... Either way that's interesting, I'll be taking a look with a flashlight... If that was the default behavior it *would* be very useful and I might even consider using 7th ;-)

Oh, and I know I'm nitpicking, trust me, I love the car to bits... it's just stuff that neither my old 996/987 ex-cars ever did... The parking brake, I'll stick to my guns but will try to get used to it ;-) On every manual handbrake you pull to set it. On every electric one I have seen you pull to set it. On this car you push ! But that's Porsche, they had the shift paddles/tip reversed for the longest time.. Thanks guys, very helpful !!!

I wasn't planning on swapping tires but now I think they might be dangerous as is... As you said, not good to begin with, low 50s, cold tires.. it was a beauty of a slide though, no idea PSM let you go that far sideways ;-) Will look into Michelins-pilot-something or other shortly...
Old 10-20-2016, 01:09 AM
GregD
Racer

Been googling and found precious little, in fact one other post:

"...would benefit from a dose of 5th to regain speed, a gear that's located somewhere between 7th out on its limb and the spring assisted 3rd. I have to admit to picking the wrong one several times, not helped by the otherwise handy gear indicator in the rev counter that displays a blank until the clutch is fully home."

that's my beef... It's blank until you let the clutch out, by which time who cares, too late... Are you positive you see your gear selected with the clutch pedal still pressed ? Anyone ?
Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Been googling and found precious little, in fact one other post:

"...would benefit from a dose of 5th to regain speed, a gear that's located somewhere between 7th out on its limb and the spring assisted 3rd. I have to admit to picking the wrong one several times, not helped by the otherwise handy gear indicator in the rev counter that displays a blank until the clutch is fully home."

that's my beef... It's blank until you let the clutch out, by which time who cares, too late... Are you positive you see your gear selected with the clutch pedal still pressed ? Anyone ?
I have a 1/2013-delivered base 991.1 MT, same tires (haven't ended up sideways, but I take it really easy when it gets colder and will be looking at all the options when I replace them...), and the same gear indicator issue. And yes, it is an issue - I mean as you say, you'd only see that you caught the wrong gear when it's too late. If someone else is really seeing the gear selection ahead of letting the clutch out, I'd also like to know if that's a later model fix or something broken on mine. I'm the original owner, so I know it has always been that way in any case.

Same shaky idle when not in sport (it seems to get a bit better once it's warmed up, but then I'm usually in sport, so...), but I love it every time I have it out, so in the big picture yes, those are nits. Um... aside from ending up sideways and not seeing the gear selection ahead of time?

Quick Reply: Stuff that's weird about the 991.1