Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuff that's weird about the 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 01:37 AM
DMA3
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are definitely some weird automatic things with the car. What I get in my 911-50, before i start it sometimes I hear the parking brake motor do a little buzz. Any idea what that is?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
"...would benefit from a dose of 5th to regain speed, a gear that's located somewhere between 7th out on its limb and the spring assisted 3rd. I have to admit to picking the wrong one several times, not helped by the otherwise handy gear indicator in the rev counter that displays a blank until the clutch is fully home."
Gear shift indicator: My car is a late 2013 MT, first gear is a little different (more later) but the other gears will show up on the indicator as the shifter moves through the gate, before the gear actually engages and well before the clutch is released. That being said the car must be rolling at proper speed. I did this test, ran 2nd up to 4K, depressed clutch, then very slowly guided the shifter out of 2nd, across neutral, and slowly into 3rd watching the indicator the entire time. My car behaves as if there is a switch near the gate path just outside of neutral, when the shifter crosses that path the indicator changes appropriately.

As for first, my car will not show the indicator in 1st until I have released the clutch and I am moving.

GregD's quote above does not make sense, it is absolutely impossible to shift from 4th and accidentally end up in 7th. There is a lockout mechanism designed in the gearbox that will not unlock until you have engaged either 5th or 6th. I found this to be excellent as I track my car and hit 5th quite often. Depress clutch, pull out of 4th, push shifter as far to the right as you can, push shifter forward into 5th. Very easy to do and doesn't require any concentration - as it should be on the track
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Is normal for the windows to come down a notch when you open the door. In that way, Porsche makes sure that the window doesn't get stuck in the rubber and you can open the door easily.

Regarding the fan setting, try leaving the fan setting were you want it to be the next time you jump on your car and make sure to save the setting by pressing the key button locate on your memory buttons on the left door. Next time you get into your car, the fan setting is going to be memorized and start the way you want.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Regarding the fan setting, try leaving the fan setting were you want it to be the next time you jump on your car and make sure to save the setting by pressing the key button locate on your memory buttons on the left door. Next time you get into your car, the fan setting is going to be memorized and start the way you want.
That seems to work for all settings other than Off. OP wants it to remember Off...which it does not.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I've read from one of the old experts here that the wiper jump is to keep them from sticking like plenum said. I wouldn't be surprised if the window indexing is also to keep the window and the window seal from sticking together if that door isn't opened for a long time.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DMA3
There are definitely some weird automatic things with the car. What I get in my 911-50, before i start it sometimes I hear the parking brake motor do a little buzz. Any idea what that is?
That's not the parking brake motor. If I had to guess, I would say it's the fuel pumps getting the system to proper pressure (remember, direct injection takes very high fuel pressure) to start.

Our Cayenne Diesel does the same thing. When you open the door, it starts clicking and priming stuff. Then when you turn ignition on but don't start, it does more of the same.

In addition, when you shut down, about 30 seconds later there's a weird growling kind of pumping noise. Real low frequency. I think it has something to do with the AdBlue because I've never heard a non-diesel do it. But i've heard other diesel loaners do it.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Gear shift indicator: My car is a late 2013 MT, first gear is a little different (more later) but the other gears will show up on the indicator as the shifter moves through the gate, before the gear actually engages and well before the clutch is released. That being said the car must be rolling at proper speed. I did this test, ran 2nd up to 4K, depressed clutch, then very slowly guided the shifter out of 2nd, across neutral, and slowly into 3rd watching the indicator the entire time. My car behaves as if there is a switch near the gate path just outside of neutral, when the shifter crosses that path the indicator changes appropriately.

As for first, my car will not show the indicator in 1st until I have released the clutch and I am moving.
Mine behaves the same way.

GregD's quote above does not make sense, it is absolutely impossible to shift from 4th and accidentally end up in 7th. There is a lockout mechanism designed in the gearbox that will not unlock until you have engaged either 5th or 6th. I found this to be excellent as I track my car and hit 5th quite often. Depress clutch, pull out of 4th, push shifter as far to the right as you can, push shifter forward into 5th. Very easy to do and doesn't require any concentration - as it should be on the track
you are correct, but I can identify with him that it's a bit unnerving at first. I made several 7th to 3rd "almost shifts" on my initial drive home (thank goodness for the gear indicator, I didn't clutch out) and it definitely takes some getting used to. The key is, as you said, to learn to trust the lockout gate and push with as much force as you would on a 6 speed.

7th to 5th downshifts just require you to return to neutral a bit to activate the lockout. It's an easy motion to learn, easier than heel and toe-ing. 6th to 5th, where you CAN get 7th gear, is what I'm still learning to do smoothly.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

If planning to drive in cooler temps then need a set of all-season tires at a minimum. Summer tires have little grip at 50*.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Is normal for the windows to come down a notch when you open the door. In that way, Porsche makes sure that the window doesn't get stuck in the rubber and you can open the door easily.
Window indexing - first introduced on the BMW 850 IIRC - is primarily to reduce stress and wear on the window lift and guide mechanisms that result in 'floppy window syndrome' with frameless windows after a while.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 AM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

GregD's quote above does not make sense, it is absolutely impossible to shift from 4th and accidentally end up in 7th.
I think you mis-interpreted that... it's a quote from another forum where the guy described that when going DOWN from 7th it was possible to hit 3/4 instead of 5/6. Not up, down... I'm aware of the lockout, and just in case on the way down I pass by neutral instead to fully cover my a$$ (thanks to previous advice from Needsdecaf). The point of that quote was about the gear indicator not showing the gear until *after* the clutch was out...

Now it would seems that the results are split: for some people it works like on my car, that is "too late to be useful", but for 2 of you it works based on the gate (super useful).. I'd like to understand why, model year, software version ??? because the indicator would be super useful if it triggered based on the gate position and not on the clutch... Interesting... I'd love to have that feature ! I don't need the gear indicator to tell me which gear I'm in because muscle memory does that for me. But I'd love to get a preview with the clutch still not let out, to avoid accidental downshifts why I'm getting accustomed to 7th (which I'm avoiding religiously).
Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 AM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I get that part. I was talking about the passenger side, nobody in the passenger seat. I turn the car off... And a few seconds later the closed passenger side window does a jig... ;-) That's OK if it's a feature to prevent it from sticking to the rubber, it's just odd the first few times ;-)

I tried that but doesn't seem to work for the OFF position, comes back to lowest setting... I'll try again ! Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD

I tried that but doesn't seem to work for the OFF position, comes back to lowest setting... I'll try again ! Thanks!
The Porsche engineers evidently decided that there was a need for fan operation on start. No mater what you do with the settings, the fan will operate when you start the car.

Last edited by pfan; 10-20-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
If your tires have 12k the rears are probably shot. If they don't look worn, they must have been replaced. Mine needed replaced at 7800.
My tires are original and Pirelli not Goodyear.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:18 PM
carlosv
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just picked up our 2014 S and I noticed the passenger window going up/down as well. The oil smell is normal in 911's. I do have the same problem with the parking brake though. I'm starting to get used to it
Old 10-20-2016, 12:28 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Gear indicator comes up on mine as I lift the clutch - nothing before.

didn't know I could switch off the annoying little upshift triangle (I'll decide thank you....that's why I bought a manual). That will be gone by the end of the day :-)

Parking brake is also counter intuitive for me and I still have to think carefully each time I press it and often get it wrong (it's not a DD for me).

Quick Reply: Stuff that's weird about the 991.1