Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal

Old 10-15-2016, 11:35 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts
Default Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal

I love this car! After two months of daily searching for a spec close to what I wanted, took delivery of a 2016 all-black GTS last week from Park Place Porsche in Dallas, TX. Jordan, my salesperson, was awesome. He portrayed the car accurately and made it very easy to do business remotely (I’m in CT). Although this was easy because the car is just about in showroom condition, with only a few very minor imperfections which can easily be remedied. Park Place also took my trades (a 2015 BMW M5 and 2009 Volvo V70 wagon) and gave me a fair price. I highly recommend this dealership, and working with Jordan.

It rained the first several days after delivery so I got have fun on wet roads. I was a bit surprised how easy I could get the rear end to come loose while still having the feeling of near complete control. No doubt this is one precision instrument.

Below, in random order, are some of my thoughts after a week of ownership and almost 300 miles. I’m far from a professional driver, and this is my first Porsche—just sharing my personal opinions.

Park Assist – 10/10 Car has front and rear parking sensors which seem to work really well but was specified with no backup camera. I’m lost without a backup camera, particularly because of poor rear visibility and I’m always backing into parking spots. A backup camera is not only a convenience but more importantly a safety feature that’s essential IMO (surprised that they aren’t required by law). I could easily skip the parking sensors but not the camera. I may add an OEM rear camera if I keep the car.

7MT – 9/10 Since I’ve never driven a 991.1 prior to taking delivery of this car I’m surprised how clunky it feels relative to the 7MT in 991.2. Don’t get me wrong this is on fantastic gearbox and the best manual transmission that I’ve ever driven—aside from the 991.2. Clutch pedal has unusually long amount of travel and is positioned too far forward in my opinion. Separately, the hill start assist feature is poorly executed relative to what I’m used to from BMW. Sometimes it doesn’t engage and when it does the brake is applied too forcefully while you’re trying to accelerate causing stalls. I will into disabling this feature. Overall, a fine clutch only requiring more getting used to.

Glass sunroof – 5/10 Didn’t want this and wish I didn’t have it. Although it’s very nice to use and provides some sunlight in the all black cockpit when closed, my fear came true in that there’s a definite squidgy sound coming from the roof while closed during both cornering and riding over rough road surfaces. It should be noted that I do not think that there’s a problem here but just comes with the territory. This is a very minor sound that may not irritate others but I’m a little nuts. Nevertheless, I’ll bring it in and see if it can be improved but fairly certain this will be a complete waste of time. I would highly recommend skipping this option if you’re an OCD type or just overly sensitive to unwanted sounds while driving. Curious to hear from others with glass sunroof. Solution for now is to just drive with it open!

Seats – 8/10 Very good. I have the 18-way seats with the alcantara centers from the GTS Package. They are very nice but probably would’ve preferred the 4-way sport seats even though those lack the under-thigh lateral support which is great with the 18 ways. The problem I’m having is that the back side bolsters don’t relax enough and are a little too tight for my body. The 4-ways fit me like a glove and seem more forgiving around the sides of my lower back area. (I’m 5’ 10” 190lbs, would hate to see somebody much larger try to fit in these seats.) Coming from F10 M5, the Porsche 18-ways are step down both in comfort and adjustability. I love that the rear of the seats are finished in aluminum and not leather. I think this looks great and helps me not worry about four little feet hitting the back of the seats when my kids come for a ride.

Handling (Sport PASM, PDCC) – 9/10 The best handling car I’ve ever driven but I think the PDCC and, to some extent, sport suspension are overkill for me. I think that if you’re not tracking the car on a fairly regular basis both may be unwarranted. If tracking the car I would say these are must haves but for everyday use the car rides a bit rough for my taste. Also, I’ve heard that the PDCC increases ride quality over rough road surfaces but I haven’t noticed this yet after testing it both on and off over the same rough CT roads. I do notice how flat the car corners with PDCC on and really like the feeling but would probably prefer to feel the car more through the corners. Also, not sure exactly what to attribute this to but, the car skips a bit over anything more than a small bump or pothole. This I do not like, takes away greatly from the overall refined driving experience. If I do it all over again it would be an easy decision to skip both sport suspension and PDCC (could one or both of these be the culprit here?). Anybody care to weigh in on this one? What can I do after-market to improve? Overall, the chassis is not as well composed as 991.2 IMHO and can understand why some people are going from 991 to 991.2.

Steering – 7/10 Very heavy but not overly so and well balanced, but sadly a bit numb and not as precise or communicative as I would wish. This is the weakest part of this car. Although far from perfect I do miss the hydraulic steering from my F10 M5. I also miss the ability to control steering weight and feel. Notice that this isn’t possible in the Porsche but please tell me if I’m wrong. One thing is for sure, the government is screwing car enthusiasts with electric steering and turbo motors.

Wheels – 10/10 I’m in love with the black Turbo S spyder wheels but they are an absolute nightmare to keep clean. I will soon be taking off the wheels and treat them with something so the brake dust doesn’t stick so much. What’s your favorite wheel treatment?

Brakes – 10/10 Standard steel brakes work wonderfully with nothing to be desired. This car stops from a hundred MPH with ease. One small peeve of mine, the disks look on the smallish side for the ginormous wheels. In the future I will not pass up ceramic brakes, not only for weight savings but for the look and cleanliness.

Burmester – 8/10 Excellent sound quality (not as good as B&O from my M5) but unnecessary versus Bose option unless you’re a diehard audiophile. I will likely value this option more highly over time after I find the proper settings. Regardless, this is such a purpose-built car that I hate to even have music on while driving.

Engine/Exhaust – 10/10 Perfection—lives up to expectations and makes for an excellent rear passenger. As a first-time Porsche owner I adore the motor humming behind me. Also, I do not miss the greater torque of my M5 and, even though my M5 felt faster, the 3.8 is sufficiently fast and highly entertaining winding out to redline. The exhaust note—as so acclaimed—is superb and leaves nothing to be desired for my personal taste. I almost always drive with flaps open but love that PSE can be “turned off” when desired. Damn you Porsche for not putting this in the 991.2. It’s sad to think about what could’ve been with additional years of refinement, improving on near perfection.

Color – 10/10 Non-metallic black, certainly not my first choice (that would no doubt be GT Silver Metallic). In fact, I would have never specified non-metallic black due to my OCD tendencies but so far I’m really digging it. Most of my past cars have been black and it’s a very hard habit to break. Probably the best looking color—when perfectly clean. Like everything in life it’s a huge tradeoff, and because it’s not my daily driver I can definitely tolerate its needy nature. I’ve hated the murdered-out look all of my life but must say that it just looks the part on this car. Would I specify all black inside and out and on the wheels? Probably never—but I’m drawn to its simplicity, all business attitude and understated look. Love the fact that it is one of if not the least conspicuous of colors and, for me, it suits the 911 very well because I hate the attention this car gets, just makes me uncomfortable. I don’t know why Porsche’s draw so much attention. They are far from uncommon in my neck of the woods yet most people seem to do a double take when near the car.

Interior – 10/10 I really like the subtle, elegant black brushed aluminum trim that comes with the GTS interior package (shame that it’s not offered on 991.2). I only wish that this particular car was specified with the GTS communication package for the added deviated stitching, in either silver or red. This package is a signature of the GTS and can’t see how it could be passed up, and would also go a long way to break up the all black interior. Overall fit and finish is excellent. Love the clicky, tactile nature of the buttons, provides for a high-quality feel. Also love how everything is laid out including the easy-to-read instrumentation. The leather on the doors and dash is of high quality and well executed. I was worried about the alcantara seats and wheel but have to say that it’s quite nice for a change, both form and function. Feels nice to the touch, is highly functional and isn’t nappy and disgusting as I was worried about. Nobody loves leather more than I do but would likely opt for the alcantara again in the future. Other than the annoying sunroof, there’s at least one other annoying noise while driving. It’s an odd somewhat high-pitched intermittent noise coming from just behind my left ear that I have yet to be able to pinpoint. I also miss the heads-up display from my M5 (c’mon Porsche get over it and include this already). BTW, my car has painted trim around center console. This is a subtle yet very nice interior choice to tie in exterior color.

LED lights – 10/10 Awesome look in daylight with the black surrounds. The circular driving lights are eye candy. The high-beams are amazingly bright and I the high-beam assist functions wonderfully. For me, the LEDs are not worth the money over standard fare but they will not disappoint.

Overall I’m highly satisfied with my new black beauty. It drives and sounds impeccably and doubles as a piece of art. Those wide hips and soft lines, wow. If I had more money I would make my garage part of my living space and drive it right in every night. Also, it will take me many more years of practice to give this thing its due respect and learn how to drive it properly.

If I come across a better match to my dream spec I will likely trade it. (In retrospect, I should have been a little more patient but saw something that I liked and ordered it over the phone the next day.) Dream 991 GTS build: Low mileage GT Silver (but could go for black, Agate or dark blue), 7MT, TTS wheels, PCCB, Sport Design Package, GTS Interior package, GTS communication package in red or silver, PASM (I would still lower the car the additional 10mm because it just looks right that way), Carbon fiber trim, Painted side skirts, Park Assist with backup camera, Lane Change Assist, Bose& rear wiper. If I get tired of looking I’ll probably add ducktail and backup camera, and enjoy this one for a long time! BTW, at time of writing, Porsche Atlanta Perimeter has a near match but they are asking too much on trade and car doesn’t have the ceramics so I’ll likely pass.

Prior to this purchase I was torn between 991.2 and 991 GTS. Test drove several 991.2 variants but felt like I was forced to make too many compromises so took a shot and went for the GTS. So far so good, am very happy with my decision. The motor makes all the difference for me. Over the next week or two I plan on going back to my dealer to revisit and drive a 991.2 again to either reinforce or dismiss my past feelings.

Sorry to leave you way short in the pictures department but will post more when I get the chance to do them some justice.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Congrats!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:26 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Welcome to the GTS club from another Fairfield County P owner.

Last edited by JAM2; 10-17-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:31 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hot! I love the black and red combo....simple is so sexy. Your journal needs more pictures at a different angle
Old 10-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Hi from another GTS owner in CT.

Rattles - I'm NUTS about unwanted sounds and our car is in at Porsche of Fairfield for a plethora of rattles, from the seat folding latches (all 4 are getting the felt tape treatment) to the passenger vanity mirror. I also have the glass roof and zero squeaks or rattles from that area. Get it fixed and don't compromise.

Congratulations on a fine purchase and a monster motor. If you're up for a meet, shout.

Alex
Old 10-16-2016, 12:07 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats!

I completely agree about the 18-way seats. They are fine for local drives, but we did a 300-mile out-and-back loop to drive the Kanc Highway last week and I was literally squirming behind the wheel for the last hour.

Originally Posted by Bemo

Rattles - I'm NUTS about unwanted sounds and our car is in at Porsche of Fairfield for a plethora of rattles, from the seat folding latches (all 4 are getting the felt tape treatment) to the passenger vanity mirror. I also have the glass roof and zero squeaks or rattles from that area. Get it fixed and don't compromise.

Congratulations on a fine purchase and a monster motor. If you're up for a meet, shout.

Alex
I have rear-seat squeaks, and I am guessing my latches also need felt tape... The tech literally buckled the rear seat belts when I mentioned the squeaks
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Brakes ...One small peeve of mine, the disks look on the smallish side for the ginormous wheels.
I agree to an extent. Strongly considered the RacingBrake 380mm upgrade (same diameter as GT3, but thicker). But honestly, it would be for looks only, as even in track sessions I've never cooked the brakes, and 3k plus some hassle for the looks didn't make sense to me. Plus, they're grooved, which doesn't look as good as cross-drilled.

But in the end, you can solve this problem for 3 grand:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-14.htm
Old 10-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Just an FYI, you can't turn PDCC on and off. It is always on. When you press the suspension button, you're changing the SPASM settings, not PDCC.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:45 PM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Hey Bluehorseshoe, congrats on successfully receiving your car and nice write up! I'll have to share my initial impressions as well once I have a chance to dedicate a little more time.

Sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the electric steering. I feel that it is fantastic, even compared to my E92 M3. I wonder if perhaps having the 4 changes the steering characteristics in a positive way, at least for me.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying the car as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Bemo - My name is Alex too, also in CT!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:03 AM
porsche_love
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car man, my first choice for 991 was a black one, however I couldn't find one to my liking. There's something about black 991 that reveals the beautiful curves of the car. Congrats and enjoy the new beast
Old 10-17-2016, 12:51 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
Hey Bluehorseshoe, congrats on successfully receiving your car and nice write up! I'll have to share my initial impressions as well once I have a chance to dedicate a little more time.

Sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with the electric steering. I feel that it is fantastic, even compared to my E92 M3. I wonder if perhaps having the 4 changes the steering characteristics in a positive way, at least for me.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying the car as much as I'm enjoying mine.

Bemo - My name is Alex too, also in CT!
Well join the party. Our GTS will hibernate during the winter and I probably have another 3-4 weeks left to enjoy it. Shout if you're up for a drive also!
Old 10-17-2016, 02:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Congrats on your car. Sorry to hear about the sunroof. It was one of the things I really wanted in my CPO 991.1 S. SO much in fact I had them swap out my metal sunroof for the glass moonroof. No squeaks or rattles either. Have your shop check it out..maybe it is defective roof seals. In an event your car looks great. Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Rambler_13
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Well join the party. Our GTS will hibernate during the winter and I probably have another 3-4 weeks left to enjoy it. Shout if you're up for a drive also!
Yes, i would love to meet up for a drive before the end of the season. I may try doing the bear mountain drive on the 23rd if my schedule still permits.

By the way, I have the same rattles as you in the seat latches which are pretty irritating as they are constant/continuous. I'd love to know more about whether the felt tape you're having added works.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:34 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I agree to an extent. Strongly considered the RacingBrake 380mm upgrade (same diameter as GT3, but thicker). But honestly, it would be for looks only, as even in track sessions I've never cooked the brakes, and 3k plus some hassle for the looks didn't make sense to me. Plus, they're grooved, which doesn't look as good as cross-drilled.

But in the end, you can solve this problem for 3 grand:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-14.htm

Thanks for the link but share your feelings and wouldn't waste a penny to change them for looks alone! Just nursing a serious case of PCCB envy. Surprising how few GTSs are around with this option, roughly 60:1 in my estimation. I'd sacrifice some options (e.g., fancy shmancy sound system, sunroof, etc.) for better brakes in a heartbeat.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:38 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Alex

Thanks, and happy to hear that there's likely something wrong with the seal on my sunroof. Scheduled an appointment next week to hopefully get it fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal