Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal

Old 10-17-2016, 03:00 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_love
Beautiful car man, my first choice for 991 was a black one, however I couldn't find one to my liking. There's something about black 991 that reveals the beautiful curves of the car. Congrats and enjoy the new beast

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Tried holding out for GTSM but lack the critical skill of patience. 4/6 of my last cars were black, swearing off the color each time saying "never black again," but oddly enough keep coming back to it. The night before I decided to buy this car I came across these two videos, and they sealed the deal for me even though in my mind GT Silver Metallic showcases the sexy body of this car best.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Just an FYI, you can't turn PDCC on and off. It is always on. When you press the suspension button, you're changing the SPASM settings, not PDCC.

Archimedes, thanks for the details. I obviously need to study up on how to use this car. I'm just used to the straightforwardness of the BMW system from M5 which separates suspension, throttle and steering. If the PDCC button doesn't turn the system on/off then what distinguishes it from Sport and Sport Plus functionality?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Archimedes, thanks for the details. I obviously need to study up on how to use this car. I'm just used to the straightforwardness of the BMW system from M5 which separates suspension, throttle and steering. If the PDCC button doesn't turn the system on/off then what distinguishes it from Sport and Sport Plus functionality?
The shock absorber button merely changes the SPASM settings from normal to sport. They added PDCC on the button simply to assuage buyers who wanted the car to say PDCC, not because it controls anything related to PDCC.

And the Sport/Sport plus buttons have nothing to do with suspension settings. Only the shock absorber button does. PDCC is always on, making the ride more compliant over bumps, but then firming up to counteract body roll in turns.

I find that on my SPASM/PDCC car, the normal suspension mode is fine for anything other than fast twisty driving, where I prefer the sport suspension mode, particularly if it gets bumpy. I like the response of the sport suspension setting in bumpy corners, particularly under heavy throttle load on exit, as the car stays more planted.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:29 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on a fine vehicle.

Welcome to the GTS Club.

The color is wonderful but then again I am biased and like you almost always get Black!

Enjoy in good health.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
And the Sport/Sport plus buttons have nothing to do with suspension settings. Only the shock absorber button does.
On my PASM car, when you push Sport Plus, it also by default turns on the Sport Suspension setting of PASM and lights up the Shock Absorber Button. You can click the Shock Absorber button to turn it back to Normal if you wish. I would assume it would do the same in a SPASM car...no??
Old 10-17-2016, 06:09 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I agree to an extent. Strongly considered the RacingBrake 380mm upgrade (same diameter as GT3, but thicker). But honestly, it would be for looks only, as even in track sessions I've never cooked the brakes, and 3k plus some hassle for the looks didn't make sense to me. Plus, they're grooved, which doesn't look as good as cross-drilled.

But in the end, you can solve this problem for 3 grand:

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-14.htm
Thanks for the link but share your feelings and wouldn't waste a penny to change them for looks alone! Just nursing a serious case of PCCB envy. Surprising how few GTSs are around with this option, roughly 60:1 in my estimation. I'd sacrifice some options (e.g., fancy shmancy sound system, sunroof, etc.)for better brakes in a heartbeat.
Well, we're on the same page as far as deciding not to go with 380mm steel brakes in lieu of standard steel brakes. But I'm (smilingly) wondering how the bolded statements make sense? If you wouldn't spend a penny (much less 3 grand) for looks, but would spend 10Gs for PCCB, you must be willing to spend 10Gs for better fade resistance and slightly lighter unsprung weight. (only non-looks advantage of PCCBs). But you can also get better fade resistance with 380mm steels for 3Gs. So does that mean you're willing to spend 7Gs for the lighter unsprung weight alone?

I totally get "wanting what you want, period" and in fact that's why I have a GTS rather than an S; the X51 and the wide-body and the CLs provide such small additional performance (if any) that the only real justification to me is looks, sound, and exclusivity.

But I think you need to own up to the fact that you would, indeed, pay many, many, many pennies for looks in the case of PCCBs. Unless you've found yourself boiling your brake fluid with the steel brakes. So I say, proudly own your willingness to drop a 10-spot on pretty brakes that you actually have no need of! It's the Porsch way!

(And remember, the "no brake dust" part of PCCBs is still "for looks only.")

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Well, we're on the same page as far as deciding not to go with 380mm steel brakes in lieu of standard steel brakes. But I'm (smilingly) wondering how the bolded statements make sense? If you wouldn't spend a penny (much less 3 grand) for looks, but would spend 10Gs for PCCB, you must be willing to spend 10Gs for better fade resistance and slightly lighter unsprung weight. (only non-looks advantage of PCCBs).
Total nonsense. The PCCBs offer much better pedal feel at speed than the iron rotors, which translates into better driving performance for 99% of drivers out there. That's why Porsche always uses a PCCB car when they want to turn one fast lap for PR purposes and why fast guys like Randy Pobst rave about the PCCBs. The only reason not to get PCCBs is cost and/or a desire to run a smaller wheel. The idea that it's all for aesthetics is pure drivel. I've had all three of the current Porsche set ups and I'd take the PCCBs every time, but for cost or winter wheel considerations. Are they worth $8k? That's a personal decision, but they are markedly better in sporting driving. Unfortunately, the new rotors are too big to squeeze a 19" wheel over it.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

It only took me one set of them to realize that you're wrong Archimedes. No need to buy three sets.

Well, I mean, to be fair I wasn't on this board when I realized it, so I didn't explicitly know that you were wrong because I didn't know anything about you. So nothing personal.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Adding a few photos. Car is actually a bit dirty but don't think you'll be able to notice. So hard to photograph black cars.

Did my interior leather this afternoon with Leather Masters Matte (love that stuff), prevents leather from getting that nasty shiny finish over time.

Love the alcantara interior! Provides a nice contrast to the leather and feels very rich to the touch. So far I really love the feel on the steering wheel as well (the thickness of the wheel is a little dainty for my taste, and there's not enough space for your hands at 9 and 3 positions, hard to beat latest M5 steering wheel).

Also, took a few shots of the brushed black aluminum--what a great trim option, although I do love the carbon fiber too. The only thing my interior is missing is deviated stitching!

More photos to follow after a proper washing, paint correction and wax.
Attached Images        
Old 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It only took me one set of them to realize that you're wrong Archimedes. No need to buy three sets.
Not sure you understood my post. I owned the base set up, the S set up and the Gen III PCCBs, all at the same time on three different cars. The PCCBs were much better performing than the S brakes and the S were better than the base set up. There is a marked step up in performance in each set up across the spectrum. It's not just my opinion, it shows in the lap times and it's been stated repeatedly by some of the best drivers on the planet.

I totally get why someone wouldn't think they're worth an extra $8k, but anyone who says it's all aesthetics has no credibility. Most people who say that, are those who have never owned a car with Gen III PCCBs.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Well, we're on the same page as far as deciding not to go with 380mm steel brakes in lieu of standard steel brakes. But I'm (smilingly) wondering how the bolded statements make sense? If you wouldn't spend a penny (much less 3 grand) for looks, but would spend 10Gs for PCCB, you must be willing to spend 10Gs for better fade resistance and slightly lighter unsprung weight. (only non-looks advantage of PCCBs). But you can also get better fade resistance with 380mm steels for 3Gs. So does that mean you're willing to spend 7Gs for the lighter unsprung weight alone?

I totally get "wanting what you want, period" and in fact that's why I have a GTS rather than an S; the X51 and the wide-body and the CLs provide such small additional performance (if any) that the only real justification to me is looks, sound, and exclusivity.

But I think you need to own up to the fact that you would, indeed, pay many, many, many pennies for looks in the case of PCCBs. Unless you've found yourself boiling your brake fluid with the steel brakes. So I say, proudly own your willingness to drop a 10-spot on pretty brakes that you actually have no need of! It's the Porsch way!

(And remember, the "no brake dust" part of PCCBs is still "for looks only.")

Cheers!
Haha for me, if I had to put a personal value to the cost of the PCCBs, it's about 50 percent for the weight savings (where it counts) and added potential performance/feel; and 50 percent cleanliness. I despise brake dust. As my wife often tells me... you have more money than brains a lot of the time!

On a separate note, your wheels look amazing with your GTSM. I went through an old thread where you were talking about having them painted in satin but was never able to find the pictures. Could you please post a few pics or direct me to where I can find them? Thanks!
Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 PM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Congratulations on your GTS and welcome to the club! I would highly recommend getting it to the track to see what it can really do. I've been luck enough to have a RL mentor take me out as a passenger and as a coach while I drove on Laguna Seca and 3x at Sonoma. These cars are amazing to drive on any street, don't get me wrong, but they are even better when really pushed hard on a track.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Haha for me, if I had to put a personal value to the cost of the PCCBs, it's about 50 percent for the weight savings (where it counts) and added potential performance/feel; and 50 percent cleanliness. I despise brake dust. As my wife often tells me... you have more money than brains a lot of the time!

On a separate note, your wheels look amazing with your GTSM. I went through an old thread where you were talking about having them painted in satin but was never able to find the pictures. Could you please post a few pics or direct me to where I can find them? Thanks!
Thanks, Horseshoe. Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9376...gt-silver.html
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

As you can see I am also a BMW fanboy not only for the brand but also for the Bavarian history. I have owned my GTS for a year now and I can't stop smiling every time I get in and turn the engine on listening the exhaust at cold start. I don't drive it everyday but when I do I get this feeling that I have never gotten before with any of my M cars. You've got a rare specimen and for some the best 911 ever created. I am keeping mine forever. I have driven the 991.2 S and I know I made the right decision. Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I love this car!
Wheels – 10/10 I’m in love with the black Turbo S spyder wheels but they are an absolute nightmare to keep clean. I will soon be taking off the wheels and treat them with something so the brake dust doesn’t stick so much. What’s your favorite wheel treatment?

Brakes – 10/10 Standard steel brakes work wonderfully with nothing to be desired. This car stops from a hundred MPH with ease. One small peeve of mine, the disks look on the smallish side for the ginormous wheels. In the future I will not pass up ceramic brakes, not only for weight savings but for the look and cleanliness.

This affordable "bolt-on" RB-CCB kit can better fill your wheels w/o filling them up with brake dust.

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCB-Sy...ccb-por-01.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's GTS Journal