Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:23 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Drove out of my way to visit a dealer with a base Carrera 7MT. Drove it today and feel strongly that it's a great engine choice for me vs S because it was hard to find any turbo lag at all whereas on S it's quite noticeable. Both are great and fun to take to red line but base engine is definitely my preference. Porsche should offer a Sports Suspension on base.

-Sport Seats Plus 4-way ($800) felt significantly better than 14-way Sport seats aka comfort seats ($2,320) because they cradle your body much better. Only problem is that they lacked the front adjustment and found them a tad too short under my knees. Irritating because the 4-way Sport Plus seats felt better than the 18-way Adaptive Sport Seats Plus ($3,825) seats except for the front area that I mentioned above. It's going to be hard to justify another $3,025 for the Adaptive Sport Seats Plus. The seats in my F10 M5 are equal to or better than The best Porsche seats.

-Saw carbon fiber trim ($1,990) and it looks nice, albeit rather insignificant, and is my favorite trim option so far with appropriate interior color just hate to pay so much for so little (definite theme with lots of Porsche options). The brushed is a step up but the problem is that a lot of the trim around door speakers, steering wheel and seats and more don't change to brushed so you're left with two different trims. For certain color interiors you're really forced to stay with plastic trim. Lack of finished trim options and base plastic trim for Porsche 911 is disgraceful. Tried posting pics but iPhone app gives me error msg.

-Sport exhaust (2,950) is 100 percent essential. Standard exhaust is near silent, could not believe it! Hate that I have to pony up all that money plus hate the look to hear the exhaust (and not even that great).

Questions: Does Sports Chrono offer All modes on base Carrera and adjust both dampers and engine? And will it turn performance exhaust on in Sport and Sport Plus modes like is the CS4 that I recently drove? Still trying to figure out if Sports Chrono just moves buttons to wheel that would normally be near gear shifter, or if it actually adds functionality. Say Dynamic Engine Mounts but have no idea what that means.

-Saw a graphite blue/chalk interior and was very impressed. I think one of the three two tone interiors is the way to go because it adds a lot to an otherwise underwhelming interior. Or maybe just getting all black with some deviated stitching.

Next step for me is to find a C4 (preferably 7MT) to drive and figure out if I like it over base (I love the rear end of the new C4). Overall, left dealer a bit confused and disappointed, and now considering either postponing purchase until I see what 991.2 GTS is all about or just try to find a used 2016 GTS.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can wait for the .2 GTS then by all means, but if turbo lag is the issue then what makes you think the .2 GTS would be an improvement over the lag you experienced in the current .2 S? I'd say pick up a .1 GTS personally and when the .2 GTS is released, trade it, if you like it that much more.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Your post seems to have more negatives than positives.

Seats, Trim, Expensive Options, Dislike of the Exhaust sound, Turbo Lag in the stronger engine, Lack of Pasm on base Carrera. etc.

I don't mean to sound like a snoot, but it sounds like you are convincing yourself that this isn't the car for you. I can't imagine anyone ordering a porsche and not being completely excited and enamored with the process and the wait time.

I'm getting a hum drum vibe from your post as if you don't really want to proceed.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:02 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Your post seems to have more negatives than positives. Seats, Trim, Expensive Options, Dislike of the Exhaust sound, Turbo Lag in the stronger engine, Lack of Pasm on base Carrera. etc. I don't mean to sound like a snoot, but it sounds like you are convincing yourself that this isn't the car for you. I can't imagine anyone ordering a porsche and not being completely excited and enamored with the process and the wait time. I'm getting a hum drum vibe from your post as if you don't really want to proceed.
I guess I just left a little overwhelmed. I know my post came off negative but don't get me wrong I still love the car and the positives outweigh the negatives, just a bit disappointed that he process hasn't been easier. I'm new to the brand and just wish that I was a year earlier because the GTS is my car. Looking for a while and can only find PDKs.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:04 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
I'm getting a hum drum vibe from your post as if you don't really want to proceed.
I've experienced the same emotions, coming from BMW for example where so much is standard and in many cases better executed than the Carrera. Doesn't mean you can't find what you need to be happy but everything you want is sometimes elusive

You have to fall in love with what it has, and overlook the faults and quirks - most especially the "make you pay more for basic options" BS.

OP - my opinion is shop CPO and find a 15/16 GTS with the options you want. Much easier to stomach the so-so shopping experience and sticker shock when you're saving 30-40% off bloated Porsche dealer MSRP
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geiss
If you can wait for the .2 GTS then by all means, but if turbo lag is the issue then what makes you think the .2 GTS would be an improvement over the lag you experienced in the current .2 S? I'd say pick up a .1 GTS personally and when the .2 GTS is released, trade it, if you like it that much more.
Good point regarding the next GTS. Also hard to find 7MT GTS coupe but will be on the hunt for a 2016. Found lots so far but mainly PDK.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Good point regarding the next GTS. Also hard to find 7MT GTS coupe but will be on the hunt for a 2016. Found lots so far but mainly PDK.
I searched cargurus and found a few manuals, a beautiful very well optioned carmine red manual GTS in Scottsdale... Expand your search to 2015 models and you'll get more color options.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:18 AM
Geiss
Instructor

I guess I just left a little overwhelmed. I know my post came off negative but don't get me wrong I still love the car and the positives outweigh the negatives, just a bit disappointed that he process hasn't been easier. I'm new to the brand and just wish that I was a year earlier because the GTS is my car. Looking for a while and can only find PDKs.
This was my issue. I was new to the brand. If I knew they were decommissioning the old engines I would've ordered the GTS to my specs. But alas I had to pick from slim pickings. I'm still lucky I have what I have though.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

An answer to a question you didn't specifically ask, but I had the same issue with sport plus seats: cheap, light and comfy but too short in the front. Ended up having the driver's seat stuffed with memory foam at an auto upholsterers, and the back of the seat as well while I'm about it. Total cost about £300 and I have a bespoke seat that looks like it came that way from factory.

I specced my car from new and what I felt to be imperfections annoyed me so I sorted them on the aftermarket. Other option as someone said is to buy used, accept imperfections and think about the money you saved.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

"Lack of finished trim options and base plastic trim for Porsche 911 is disgraceful. "

huh? metal, paint, carbon, leather, mahogany. Did I miss any?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gary JR
"Lack of finished trim options and base plastic trim for Porsche 911 is disgraceful. " huh? metal, paint, carbon, leather, mahogany. Did I miss any?
May have been a too harsh here but it's like this for me.
-Base trim is plastic I believe, even if it isn't doesn't make you feel like it belongs in a$100-150k car.
-When you pay for brushed aluminum it misses many areas like around speakers in doors, wheel, door handles, etc. so you're left with two finishes.
-Never considered paint, that's a thought. I've read bad things about taking this option but will look into it again.
-Carbon fiber is my favorite but to pay ~$2500 for it plus gear lever is a kick in the teeth for so little trim and it were ally only works with black or the blue maybe.
-Leather is okay but doesn't really translate well because it looks like it should be some trim and was added as an afterthought.
-Mahogany is very nice but very limited based on color of interior. It would be nice if they through in another wood option but wood almost seems out of place in the 911.

Disgraceful was more meant for the fact that they are putting such a cheap standard trim in to begin with, just rubs me the wrong way that's all. Increase the price $500 and put in something that's not plastic.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Carbon fiber looks gorgeous, especially with black leather.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Disgraceful was more meant for the fact that they are putting such a cheap standard trim in to begin with, just rubs me the wrong way that's all. Increase the price $500 and put in something that's not plastic.
My dealer told me most people are just fine with standard trim and make no change. How does that $500 work out for them?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:29 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

I think we can all agree that the standard interior trim for a $100k car is pretty pathetic.
Of course you can spend another 30k on wrapping every piece of plastic in leather. But when compared to your standard Audi or Mercedes interior, there certainly is a lot of room for improvement.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
I think we can all agree that the standard interior trim for a $100k car is pretty pathetic.
Of course you can spend another 30k on wrapping every piece of plastic in leather. But when compared to your standard Audi or Mercedes interior, there certainly is a lot of room for improvement.
Porsche would probably say they focus on handling & performance. I think the 911 has always been more Spartan that comparably priced cars--even 20 years ago. Until recently you almost needed a degree in hieroglyphs to work the HVAC..... I don't recall my dad's 993 having cupholders.

Tough to compare features. 911 loses. Compare how you feel when you sit in/start/drive the car.

BMW will feel like an appliance and 911 will become a family member. Well for many of us at least...

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer