Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I guess based on appearance? I can not imagine foregoing PSE for that, so this is confusing.
The two center tail pipes are definitely not as nice as the 2 on the left and two on the right and for some that plays a role whether they buy PSE. I have never liked center tailpipes. But, I think most who opt not to have PSE for looks alone will regret it down the line.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Ive owned 14 C2S, 15 GTS cab, and 17 C4S cab. 991.2 is the all around better car. The only thing that .1 car has on .2 is exhaust note. The .1 car is also beginning to look dated.
Thank you for sharing your astute observations.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:43 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well, it's all personal I think, but I'm pretty close to ordering a .2 to go along with my .1 (as my .1 is a pure performance build and we want a Carrera that's a little more 'couple' friendly), and the two tradeoffs to me are as follows:

First, in order to get things I'd typically want, like SPASM, I have to go with the S, which has more noticeable turbo lag. I test drove a base and I can live with that throttle response. Don't think I could with the S based on everything I'm reading. So, I'm stuck with PASM.

Second, in order to get sport exhaust, you have to choose the two narrow center exhaust option, which I can't stand and could never own. So no sport exhaust. That I can live with as I don't think this car sounds amazing either way, but it is kind of a bummer.

I'm going to spend a ton of $ and still wind up with a non-SPASM car with the quiet exhaust, unless I'm willing to make, what to me, are big tradeoffs. That's what's keeping me from getting tremendously jacked about ordering a new car, though I can live with it. Still going to be an awesome C4 if I do go forward and order it. And I'll always have my .1 w/SPASM/PSE in the garage for my 'alone' time.
As you know I share your thoughts. After driving those with and those without PSE I have one important recommendation for you: Do not buy any 991.2 without PSE solely based on looks. Many feel that the exhaust note is unacceptable for a Porsche and few will want it. And when you want to sell the car, you'll alienate the majority of potential buyers. Plus you'll risk being frustrated every time you drive your new beauty. My plan is to give give the 991 GTS a go while I wait to see what Porsche has in store for future 991.2 iterations. I am very optimistic but couldn't wait it out because I lack patience when it comes to this sort of stuff. I also searched for a '15-'16 C2S with Powerkit but there were none available close to my spec.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

That is a wicked looking car. Well done. If I go forward with my C4, it'll probably be black as well.
Thanks a lot. Black is a hard habit to break. This one is going to be a real b*tch to keep pristine because it's non-metallic black. My first of this sort.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Geiss
Instructor

I do intend to purchase a 992 in addition to my .1 GTS. I wouldn't touch a .2 if you already have a .1. The only exception would be the .2 GTS, but I guarantee you the 992 hybrid GTS would be a far more unique driving experience. All in all, I'd skip the .2.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Thanks a lot. Black is a hard habit to break. This one is going to be a real b*tch to keep pristine because it's non-metallic black. My first of this sort.
I feel your pain!

I replaced a Basalt Black metallic 991S with a black 991S three weeks ago....the Basalt Black hid the dirt a lot better LOL....

But black does look soooooo good when it's clean!

Old 09-24-2016, 12:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As you know I share your thoughts. After driving those with and those without PSE I have one important recommendation for you: Do not buy any 991.2 without PSE solely based on looks. Many feel that the exhaust note is unacceptable for a Porsche and few will want it. And when you want to sell the car, you'll alienate the majority of potential buyers. Plus you'll risk being frustrated every time you drive your new beauty. .
Won't bother me at all, as I don't think the PSE sounds very good on the .2 anyway and this car is going to be more for the wife and i to use together. I like the sound of the PSE on my .1, but it's not near the top of the list of why I love my 911. I buy these cars for the handling and the beauty more than anything. If the .2 sounded great with PSE I might consider it, but it doesn't IMO and I simply can't stand those narrow exhausts. It's a total non-starter for me; I wouldn't buy the car with them. I think subconsciously my brain sees a VW Beetle from my childhood everytime I look at the .2 PSE. When I want great sound, I'll just drive my .1
Old 09-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

OptiCoat Pro Plus. Have a detailer immediately do paint correction and a nano coating like OptiCoat Pro Plus, CQuartz or Modesta. It will keep the paint looking much better and make cleaning the car way easier. A must on a black car IMO.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geiss
The two center tail pipes are definitely not as nice as the 2 on the left and two on the right and for some that plays a role whether they buy PSE. I have never liked center tailpipes. But, I think most who opt not to have PSE for looks alone will regret it down the line.
And therein lines one of the big tradeoffs of the .2 that did not exist on the .1
Old 09-24-2016, 01:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I simply can't stand those narrow exhausts... I think subconsciously my brain sees a VW Beetle from my childhood everytime I look at the .2 PSE.
EXACTLY what I thought the first time I saw a picture of one.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by RONGLOS
The GTS in Scottsdale is a fabulously beautiful car. If it wasn't for the wait for my 911 C4 the GTS would be in my garage.
I'd avoid Porsche of Scottsdale like the plague. Purchased a GT3 from them a few years back and their business practices were borderline fraudulent (they lied to cover up paint work). YMMV but...
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I'd avoid Porsche of Scottsdale like the plague. Purchased a GT3 from them a few years back and their business practices were borderline fraudulent (they lied to cover up paint work). YMMV but...
I think this is pretty much standard practice for car dealers. I would be surprised if they didn't lie.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts

Won't bother me at all, as I don't think the PSE sounds very good on the .2 anyway and this car is going to be more for the wife and i to use together. I like the sound of the PSE on my .1, but it's not near the top of the list of why I love my 911. I buy these cars for the handling and the beauty more than anything. If the .2 sounded great with PSE I might consider it, but it doesn't IMO and I simply can't stand those narrow exhausts. It's a total non-starter for me; I wouldn't buy the car with them. I think subconsciously my brain sees a VW Beetle from my childhood everytime I look at the .2 PSE. When I want great sound, I'll just drive my .1
I finalized my order for a base 991.2 yesterday and I skipped the PSE simply because I could not stand the looks of the pipe location. (I opted for the black tips on the standard exhaust) I won't miss it a bit, I must be getting old......

Quite honestly my bug back in the day had beefier looking exhaust than the PSE..... (the pic is from the internet, not my bug, but my '66 had a similar setup)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

^^ I did the same thing. I can't stop thinking it looks awkward. I love the idea of the pipes in the far corners. I got everything else from the sports package and left the PSE off.

Even got PDCC for extra sport handling.

I heard the sound of the regular exhaust............ its TOTALLY fine. I don't understand the opinion that even with PSE - it sounds quiet. I even heard someone refer to NON PSE as... "Silent"

Give me a break.

And for what it's worth - you shouldn't give the original poster a hard time re: cheap interior feel.

I went to see the porsche interior before ordering - the difference between the leather interior vs the standard is night and day. There is a DEFINITE difference. Saying one does not care about the interior as porsche is all about performance does NOT equal "The standard interior is a good interior".

Some people like outback steak. Some people like Wagyu Steak. Most like everything in between. At $150,000 It should be "Everything in between with an upgrade option to Wagyu"... not "Outback".
Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Couple of notes on what was said in random order.

The base trim is silver but it is a soft paint. It would be a huge improvement to order painted interior trim if you have a silver exterior.

Black painted trim should be an option regardless of exterior color. Porsche is already doing that on at least one model, I think the Panamera.

The painted trim is not really an option if you have a bright outside color. Some have it with yellow or guards red and it is brutal.

Can somebody confirm or deny that leather trim leather is indeed different from the seat leather? I sat in a leather trim + full leather 991 just a couple weeks back and didn't notice a mismatch.

I don't mind upsell. The devil is in the details:
  • Charging so much more for the S is one thing. But making it same displacement and bigger turbocharger is the wrong way to go for me, as stated by other posters.
  • Then going and holding hostage a whole bunch of the cool options with the S, effectively on getting more turbo lag for so much money is not how to draw me into upsell. That's worse than the packaging that the other German carmakers do. Withholding SPASM is a particularly bad move.
  • No SPASM on cabs, why again?
  • Personally I would prefer to have a passive sports suspension anyway. X73. Making active suspension default isn't doing any good for me.

We also need a real aerokit soon (not the baby duck tail that popped up on the Canadian builder).

I'm getting really concerned about future 911 convertibles. We are forced to take PASM, but are excluded from SPASM. We cannot get any aero, we will probably be excluded from all GT engines/all NA engines, no special suspension for us (unless they make a Speedster again, which doesn't fit it for me).

I'm on board with not being too happy about the colors. The grey is too brown. The bright blue has none of the class of lapis or aqua. The orange is pale in too many lights. The brown has none of the class of macadamia. No metallic green color is standard or special, although the few PTS 991 we see are spectacular.

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer