Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
No. The leather seat colors are ok. I'm suggesting they provide more trim colors.
They need vivid color options in their trim selections to give some distinctive pop to their nine staid leather color combinations. Brushed aluminum, Mahogany, Carbon Fiber are just more ho hum inside the car.
Again, other than those choices or painted pieces, what are you expecting? Piano black? The vast majority of people who elect to deviate from the base trim in a sports car do either aluminum, carbon fiber or paint to match. If you're looking for burled walnut, you might check out Rolls.

Also, you know there are shops out there that will paint them any color you want, right?
Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 AM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The vast majority of people who elect to deviate from the base trim in a sports car do either aluminum, carbon fiber or paint to match.
Probably because the vast majority is unaware Porsche will paint the interior trim a color other than the one matching the exterior color of their car.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
Probably because the vast majority is unaware Porsche will paint the interior trim a color other than the one matching the exterior color of their car.
No, it's more likely because sports cars tend to be inspired by race cars, and race cars tend to be full of bare metal and carbon fiber.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 AM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out their work

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9501...l#post13545181

My favourite car company for bespoke interiors is Alpina. Check out their site and the options are pretty cool.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Again, other than those choices or painted pieces, what are you expecting? Piano black? The vast majority of people who elect to deviate from the base trim in a sports car do either aluminum, carbon fiber or paint to match. If you're looking for burled walnut, you might check out Rolls.

Also, you know there are shops out there that will paint them any color you want, right?
Really. Complaining about lack of choices when there are actually many makes no sense.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

From my standpoint I'm satisfied with aluminum, carbon fiber or wood trim options.
My issue is that even if you order the brushed aluminum it is incomplete and you now have two trims, one real brushed aluminum and one plastic aluminum.

Anybody have the brushed aluminum option and satisfied? Like many things I'm probably making too big a deal out of minor details. Now I'll stop bitching about trim.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:45 AM
sp330
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I love full leather but there is no need in modern Porsches. I'd still get it though because if I were ordering new I'd get red leather.

Try looking at the m4 without full leather, I found the dash is worse than my 2015 Corolla.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sp330
I love full leather but there is no need in modern Porsches. I'd still get it though because if I were ordering new I'd get red leather.
Agreed; my last three Porsches have all been full leather, not because I particularly needed it but because the colors I wanted only came that way.

But I had a 2004 986SE that was full leather -- Cocoa. I would have ordered full leather on the 986/996 lines even if I was just getting black. They needed help. However, with full leather they weren't bad at all.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sp330
I love full leather but there is no need in modern Porsches. I'd still get it though because if I were ordering new I'd get red leather. Try looking at the m4 without full leather, I found the dash is worse than my 2015 Corolla.
For me 60 percent of the full leather experience is the smell! If it were me I'd put it everywhere including the roof. Haha.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

The whole car is not needed let alone the leather when a Ford will get you where you want to go. Not "needing" anything for these cars is a weak argument.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:02 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
For me 60 percent of the full leather experience is the smell!

You must have missed this thread! You're in a minority on that one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9495...her-smell.html
Old 09-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
991.2 base has PASM standard now.

I hear you. I am just starting the process to order a base.

I am torn over Sport Exhaust. The new version looks a bit too VW R32 for my taste. The cackling on overrun is a bit over the top (again for my taste) but I believe that is only in Sport Plus (if you have Sport Chrono). In Sport mode it is just louder if my understanding is correct.

Huh?
I am the original owner of a 2004 R32 and LOVE the sound of the exhaust, sans flapper!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
You must have missed this thread! You're in a minority on that one: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9495...her-smell.html
I think the base leather may not really be leather or is just heavily treated leather. And the so called leather package (where they put on the dash and doors) feels different than base but still is very firm and is still treated with chemicals maybe taking away from the smell. My guess is that Porsche leather wears well over the years because it's treated well from factory. I believe the natural leather has more natural characteristics including smell but holds up perhaps worse over the years relative to the other two leathers offered. This is all speculation on my part based on sitting in a couple dozen 991s. I've yet to have privilege of owning a Porsche.

How does Porsche leather wear?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
"Lack of finished trim options and base plastic trim for Porsche 911 is disgraceful. "

huh? metal, paint, carbon, leather, mahogany. Did I miss any?
Maybe he means the plastic dashboard. If course you can option all the leather you want.

Coming from a BMW he should expect a bigger option bill. That said BMW has a big option bill too. When I ordered my F10 M5 I had about 25k of options.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

BlueHorse,

My last three cars were Full Leather, Full Natural Leather, and currently Full Leather. I didn't notice the Natural smelling any better, and it definitely didn't wear as well as the other two. At least, it "crazed" more quickly -- I sold the Turbo that had Natural Grey leather at 25,000 miles and it was more crazed than the previous full-leather Carrera had been at 45,000 when I sold it. And disappointingly, the crazing lines showed through as white, rather than being the color of the leather (very dark charcoal grey, to where most people just thought it was black.) I went in all excited to have a Natural Leather 911, since I'd always thought that would be the pinnacle of Porsche leather ownership. I'd not get another based on my experience.

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer