Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Sadly the "competition" does offer a far superior base interior trim.
If in doubt have a seat in a Mercedes GT or Audi R8.

Yes, choices are great and yes they're called options. We all know that.
The fact remains that the entry level trim for a $100k 991 is, as someone so eloquently stated, unspectacular.

No one is attacking the hallowed 911, we're simply talking about interior base trim as pointed out by the OP.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi

The fact remains that the entry level trim for a $100k 991 is, as someone so eloquently stated, unspectacular.

No one is attacking the hallowed 911, we're simply talking about interior base trim as pointed out by the OP.

The "competition" is also much more expensive than the 911. You can purchase a base 911 for ~$90,000-100,000. Have you checked the MSRP of an R8 recently?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
The "competition" is also much more expensive than the 911. You can purchase a base 911 for ~$90,000-100,000. Have you checked the MSRP of an R8 recently?
and "unspectacular" is not "fact" at all.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Meh, that's your opinion. The base interior in my 981 Cayman S is nicer than the interior was in my top of the line RS5. And I've sat in R8s and never thought they were anything spectacular inside. IMO, blinged out leather everywhere interiors belong in luxury sedans, not sports cars.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
May have been a too harsh here but it's like this for me.
-Base trim is plastic I believe, even if it isn't doesn't make you feel like it belongs in a$100-150k car.
-When you pay for brushed aluminum it misses many areas like around speakers in doors, wheel, door handles, etc. so you're left with two finishes.
-Never considered paint, that's a thought. I've read bad things about taking this option but will look into it again.
-Carbon fiber is my favorite but to pay ~$2500 for it plus gear lever is a kick in the teeth for so little trim and it were ally only works with black or the blue maybe.
-Leather is okay but doesn't really translate well because it looks like it should be some trim and was added as an afterthought.
-Mahogany is very nice but very limited based on color of interior. It would be nice if they through in another wood option but wood almost seems out of place in the 911.

Disgraceful was more meant for the fact that they are putting such a cheap standard trim in to begin with, just rubs me the wrong way that's all. Increase the price $500 and put in something that's not plastic.
You are looking at the wrong car. Porsche is the best sport car for the money in the world. You are just not ready for the next rung on the ladder.

Your best bet would be the M4.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:10 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't fault Porsche for the quality of their interior trim because I don't care about the quality of the 911 interior trim, aluminum or otherwise. But I do care about the color of the interior trim.
The way I look at the interior of the car, the 911 standard color offerings for the seat covers, with the exception of red (maybe), are bland and unexciting. And, without help, that's the visual result of the interior of the car, bland and unexciting. The trim is the only the way to add vitality and excitement to the inside of the 911. Unfortunately, the trim selection is, IMO, also bland and unexciting. So, you end up with ......
This is where I think Porsche could - add more colors to their standard interior trim lineup.
I know you can paint the trim the same color as the outside; but, that, to me, is too predictable and so, kind of boring. I'm not referring to special orders.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:29 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Wasn't referring to a Base 991 and comparing it to a R8 in terms of performance.
We were talking about the base interior trim of your C2S, Targa, etc.

I believe the cars I mentioned are often compared and considered to be in the same class.

Partial "Pleather" seats and prematurely warping plastic door panels are sub par.

But I suppose you guys are right. It's an amazing and fault-free car with zero room for improvement.

I'm out..
Old 09-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd honestly wait a bit longer and think hard about the car. It does sound like you're more interested in a .1 GTS, and I'd keep looking. You're bound to find a 7MT that checks all of your boxes.

I could have waited a few short months for a 991.2, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the refresh meant absolutely nothing positive to me. In fact, I was totally into the .1 NA engine and the GTS was the perfect car for me. Took a while to decide, but it was worth it.
Same here!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
I don't fault Porsche for the quality of their interior trim because I don't care about the quality of the 911 interior trim, aluminum or otherwise. But I do care about the color of the interior trim.
The way I look at the interior of the car, the 911 standard color offerings for the seat covers, with the exception of red (maybe), are bland and unexciting. .
So you think that nine leather color combinations is not enough and that they should have more?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wasn't referring to a Base 991 and comparing it to a R8 in terms of performance.
We were talking about the base interior trim of your C2S, Targa, etc.

I believe the cars I mentioned are often compared and considered to be in the same class.

Partial "Pleather" seats and prematurely warping plastic door panels are sub par.

But I suppose you guys are right. It's an amazing and fault-free car with zero room for improvement.

I'm out..
You're "out" because you're not arguing competently. Who said anything about performance? You're saying that an R8 has a better interior than the 911, and I asked you to consider the price of both cars. The R8 has almost double the MSRP of a 911.

No one here is blindly protecting the 911 as far as I can see in this thread. I'm not saying it's the best interior in the world; hell, I didn't even say anything about the interior yet. You're just trying to justify your comments by pointing out non-existent fanboyism. Not gonna happen.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

" A mono-tone leather interior with deviated stitching would be nice but talk about eye watering prices! Otherwise I am considering a base interior with the trim on the dash and around the shifter covered in leather for $900 so it looks consistent with the door panels. My only concern is the leather would be smooth finish leather on the trim but the surrounding dash has a pebble grain look. Hopefully it would be an exact color match but may age and look different over time."

My 2017 991.2 C4S has standard black interior with leather covered trim.
Can't see any difference in materials, especially at 144mph.
Looks just like my 2013 981B with full black leather.-Richard
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
So you think that nine leather color combinations is not enough and that they should have more?
No. The leather seat colors are ok. I'm suggesting they provide more trim colors.
They need vivid color options in their trim selections to give some distinctive pop to their nine staid leather color combinations. Brushed aluminum, Mahogany, Carbon Fiber are just more ho hum inside the car.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:23 PM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuddman
No. The leather seat colors are ok. I'm suggesting they provide more trim colors.
They need vivid color options in their trim selections to give some distinctive pop to their nine staid leather color combinations. Brushed aluminum, Mahogany, Carbon Fiber are just more ho hum inside the car.
What about the painted interior options? If you want pop (and perhaps several other descriptors), you might look there.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:54 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by planet
What about the painted interior options? If you want pop (and perhaps several other descriptors), you might look there.
I don't care to bring the outside color of the car to the inside. The best way I can put it is, to me, it's too much of the same thing.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
OP - my opinion is shop CPO and find a 15/16 GTS with the options you want. Much easier to stomach the so-so shopping experience and sticker shock when you're saving 30-40% off bloated Porsche dealer MSRP
I don't think there are any GTSs at 30%-40% off trust me i've been looking..

There was a C4 GTS that went for high 90s and but it had over 15K miles..everything out there now is still in the 10% to 20% range.

Dealers are pricing GTSs as if they were GT3s

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer