Sponsored by:

Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
I think we can all agree that the standard interior trim for a $100k car is pretty pathetic.
Of course you can spend another 30k on wrapping every piece of plastic in leather. But when compared to your standard Audi or Mercedes interior, there certainly is a lot of room for improvement.
Porsche does not want to be Audi or Mercedes. And the improvement is there - it's called options. It's all about choice. The performance guys can get what they want and so can the comfort guys. Or you can pretty much have it all. Coming from BMW I am really surprised at all the choice. You can take a 100k base and be north of 150k real quick with all of the choices. There is nothing pathetic about the standard interior trim if your goal is to be in a 911 and all you have is 100k.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Porsche, or any manufacturer, cannot win in this situation. Yes, I agree that the standard interior is very basic and yes, I think that every car should come with PSE standard. But if full leather and PSE were included in the basic price (along with some other things), they'd increase the price 10K and then other people would complain that they'd rather not pay for things they don't want. After speccing 2 cars myself, I personally have gotten over the "trauma" of Porsche pricing and prefer it the way it is.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Am I the only one that actually likes the standard base interior and trim?

I think it looks good and is easy to maintain. I like how the "plastic" aluminum trim matches the spokes on the steering wheel and the shifter etc.. I was specing out my next car with full leather then I realized, the ONLY part of my current car that has shown any where at all is on the leather portion of the seat.

My next car will again come with the standard basic interior.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:17 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My GTS is standard interior. Happy.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:31 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Porsche does not want to be Audi or Mercedes. And the improvement is there - it's called options. It's all about choice. The performance guys can get what they want and so can the comfort guys. Or you can pretty much have it all. Coming from BMW I am really surprised at all the choice. You can take a 100k base and be north of 150k real quick with all of the choices. There is nothing pathetic about the standard interior trim if your goal is to be in a 911 and all you have is 100k.
+1
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Lack of Pasm on base Carrera.
991.2 base has PASM standard now.

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Drove out of my way to visit a dealer with a base Carrera 7MT.
I hear you. I am just starting the process to order a base.

The base 991.1 had the options of Sport PASM and Torque Vectoring. I assume they no longer offer it on the 991.2 base to differentiate it from the S. In a way I understand it. Especially since now there is the Sport Package on the S.

I don't mind the standard plastic "metal" trim but I prefer the look of it on the doors as well as included with the leather interior. Otherwise it looks unfinished to me. And if your going to get leather, I think getting two-tone that includes some deviated stitching is the way to go for only a few hundred more. (Don't forget to spec the steering column in leather if the dash top is any color but black.) A mono-tone leather interior with deviated stitching would be nice but talk about eye watering prices! Otherwise I am considering a base interior with the trim on the dash and around the shifter covered in leather for $900 so it looks consistent with the door panels. My only concern is the leather would be smooth finish leather on the trim but the surrounding dash has a pebble grain look. Hopefully it would be an exact color match but may age and look different over time.

I am torn over Sport Exhaust. The new version looks a bit too VW R32 for my taste. The cackling on overrun is a bit over the top (again for my taste) but I believe that is only in Sport Plus (if you have Sport Chrono). In Sport mode it is just louder if my understanding is correct.

Sport Chrono does all the things you mention on the base car same as the S. I question how often I personally would engage SC for how the car will realistically be used. Plus I am not a huge fan of the stopwatch pod on the dash as it has a bit of a Japanese tuner look to my eye. More gauges add HP!

Regarding seats, I don't care for the base or 14-way at all. My 2013 S had 14-ways and I will never buy another with them. The 4-way Sport Plus and 18-way are essentially the same seat. I find the 4-way Sport Plus to be plenty comfortable as long as they are ventilated. I just wish there was some kind of Premium Package offered for the 4-ways seats.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the brushed aluminum trim in my 50th. It looks "just right", IMHO. It never occurred to me that more would be necessary. You are saying the door lever pulls should match?

edit: agree slightly on the base trim. Pretty unspectacular. Get brushed or carbon fiber.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Am I the only one that actually likes the standard base interior and trim? I think it looks good and is easy to maintain. I like how the "plastic" aluminum trim matches the spokes on the steering wheel and the shifter etc.. I was specing out my next car with full leather then I realized, the ONLY part of my current car that has shown any where at all is on the leather portion of the seat. My next car will again come with the standard basic interior.
I love it and I'd never spec a car with full leather. I'll never understand the reason for a leather covered dash, but different strokes I guess.

On a related topic, I'm at my dealer for service today and I gotta say again, the new Carrera S wheels are awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the old ones, but these are wicked. Everyone's high on the RS wheel, but the new S wheels look much racier. And when the car status moving they just look epic.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I love it and I'd never spec a car with full leather. I'll never understand the reason for a leather covered dash, but different strokes I guess.

On a related topic, I'm at my dealer for service today and I gotta say again, the new Carrera S wheels are awesome. I wasn't a huge fan of the old ones, but these are wicked. Everyone's high on the RS wheel, but the new S wheels look much racier. And when the car status moving they just look epic.
meh. I have full leather in the 50th and standard interior in the boxster. The boxster interior looks plasticy to me in comparison. I personally would never spec anything other than full leather. Different strokes I guess.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

My car has full leather and as such the stainless trim includes gorgeous door trim - i love the additional leather and it's done well on Porsches but it is expensive. Even BMW charges for extended leather now so no biggie IMO. I've owned 5 911s and each time I've remarked "next time I am getting full leather" it just finished the look and now that the cars are (way) over $100K I believe the car needs it to be even close to competitive on cabin fit and finish.

I think the OP is lamenting that if you choose stainless you only get the dash trim and it looks like it's incomplete when the door panels aren't included. Painted doesn't look that good IMO but is better than partial stainless.

BMW does a nice job IMO of bundling options to make them affordable. Don't kid yourself that the a la carte approach isn't Porsche padding their margins - but you have to applaud that you can buy a "stripper" car if you want or load it up to $150K for a Carrrera S. Very profitable for Porsche who has the highest margins in the business!

Last edited by Chris C.; 09-06-2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
Am I the only one that actually likes the standard base interior and trim?

I think it looks good and is easy to maintain. I like how the "plastic" aluminum trim matches the spokes on the steering wheel and the shifter etc.. I was specing out my next car with full leather then I realized, the ONLY part of my current car that has shown any where at all is on the leather portion of the seat.

My next car will again come with the standard basic interior.
I'll take my basic 991 interior over my wife's Audi A5 and my previous S5 which had the top end interior. I also hate black interior so different strokes...
Old 09-06-2016, 01:11 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope you get exactly what you are looking for. My first Porsche is/was a 991.1 GTS with all the interior upgrades. All I can say is when Porsche does those options they are done very well. Problem is that I find myself noticing other P cars that have standard interiors and thinking my bar is too high for future models. Seems a bit condescending typing it out.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I'll take my basic 991 interior over my wife's Audi A5 and my previous S5 which had the top end interior. I also hate black interior so different strokes...
Plus the extra weight of all that leather!
Old 09-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd honestly wait a bit longer and think hard about the car. It does sound like you're more interested in a .1 GTS, and I'd keep looking. You're bound to find a 7MT that checks all of your boxes.

I could have waited a few short months for a 991.2, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the refresh meant absolutely nothing positive to me. In fact, I was totally into the .1 NA engine and the GTS was the perfect car for me. Took a while to decide, but it was worth it.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Go sit in a 997 and you will see how far the 911 interior has come. The 991 is a whole new level of quality materials and premium appearance. Also substantially better than my Audi A6. And Audi is known for having some of the best interiors in the business. No complaints here.

Quick Reply: Observations after spening 4 hours at dealer