Sponsored by:

Slight wobbly feeling when car idles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
I had a subtle idle wobble before on a past 911 ( new 996 Turbo ) which was said to be " normal , because Mezger, because powerful motor , blah , blah " and which did not throw any OBD codes . I insisted they investigate it further , to their annoyance .

It turns out one of the spark plugs looked like it had been dropped before installation as the electrode was bent and the gap was obviously much too close ..problem solved !

First step is to go to your dealer and compare your car's idle to 4-5 similar ones on their lot.
Ouch. Does the wobble you feel, the same wobble the car does during a cold start? The idle wobble is very subtle now compare to that, and sometimes I don't feel it anymore. I started to think it could be gas related but personally, i don't buy the gas theory, but the time i felt the wobble clearly was when i just had the car with the gas the dealership puts in - there is a no-brand private owned tiny gas station with a grocery store next to the lot, so i am sure they use that (they may have just use regular instead of premium) - it's a penny pinching Porsche dealership which I only realized later.

Sadly, there aren't any 991.1 in the Porsche dealerships around me now. Few 991.2. Many 991.1 in 3rd party dealerships, but seems weird going in there trying to test drive a same 991.1 lol......Also Suby buddies mention no such thing with theirs

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-18-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

So i took some time and pay more attention this time today. The slight wobble can be felt after cold start for the first few miles idle. After 10 mins of highway driving, i don't feel them anymore. Seems odd, i will try to get the dealer to look at that.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:45 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

They replaced the throttle body since the car throws code (the butterfly flap wasn't closing properly and it slams shut when i turn the car off making a loud klong sound). The car felt so much better now, but i still get this vibration when I put the shifter to Neutral/Park. I can feel mine and see the passenger seat vibrates. Put it back to "D" and no vibration. Turn on Sport Mode helps as well. Set the Sport Chasis reduce it slightly. I compared this to another 991 and no sign of this vibration. Anyone had experience and can suggest what the dealer can look into? Engine mount? Car have 12k miles now.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:56 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

when in Sport vibration goes away because Idle is high, my previews 991 do all those things..

the butterfly flap was one of those things and I had the same noise... ( not present on my current 991)
the vibration on the seats (not present on my current 991)
the erratic idle (not present on my current 991)
never figured out what was wrong.. dealer lame excuse was always, The "Can Not Duplicate"
same thing on my Panamera, I started to get the erratic idle and vibration...

on both cars I had this weird problem, when lifting foot off the brake, my rpm would drop followed with some vibration on my exhaust and then quickly recovering, I always thought they messed something on purpose, "conspiracy theory"
Old 10-24-2016, 10:49 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by solrac6262
when in Sport vibration goes away because Idle is high, my previews 991 do all those things..

the butterfly flap was one of those things and I had the same noise... ( not present on my current 991)
the vibration on the seats (not present on my current 991)
the erratic idle (not present on my current 991)
never figured out what was wrong.. dealer lame excuse was always, The "Can Not Duplicate"
same thing on my Panamera, I started to get the erratic idle and vibration...

on both cars I had this weird problem, when lifting foot off the brake, my rpm would drop followed with some vibration on my exhaust and then quickly recovering, I always thought they messed something on purpose, "conspiracy theory"

Thanks! I also have the weird problem with the vibration where mine would have some metal rattling sound - i am not sure if it's the exhaust or something in the engine but it's bothersome. The engine also have some grinding noise (not at a fixed interval). Will try to upload a video clip with sound from under the engine later. In general, the car drives fine, but these types of not-normal behaviors concerns me and make me not enjoy the car as much as I would have. I will try to get the dealer to figure this out again, and if they can't come to any sensible reasoning, I am out. I am on the verge of giving up Porsche, my first and my last.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same. By default the car has a low idle to be fair... I can see the empty passenger seat back shake, visibly. But I have sports mode (not sports chrono) and if I press it, the idle rises 200 rpm from 600 to 800 and the car is smooth as silk. So I'm pretty sure it's normal. You should see how my 1972 911 shakes at idle compared to a 991 ;-)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregD
I have the same. By default the car has a low idle to be fair... I can see the empty passenger seat back shake, visibly. But I have sports mode (not sports chrono) and if I press it, the idle rises 200 rpm from 600 to 800 and the car is smooth as silk. So I'm pretty sure it's normal. You should see how my 1972 911 shakes at idle compared to a 991 ;-)
I sat in 2 other 991 and the seats don't vibrate unfortunately. Those cars don't shake as much too. My seats vibrate only in Neutral, abit in P and not in D. I will try to get the dealer to show me some 991 on the lot that is the same before I can accept these are normal.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:44 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
I sat in 2 other 991 and the seats don't vibrate unfortunately. Those cars don't shake as much too. My seats vibrate only in Neutral, abit in P and not in D. I will try to get the dealer to show me some 991 on the lot that is the same before I can accept these are normal.
Sure, why not... I asked the indy that pulled my codes (overrev) after buying the car AND the porsche tech that did my recalls, both the same week, they both said they all idled like that (and told me to try sports mode and indeed, all smooth)... I've also read on this board and others the exact same thing. Unless you have codes, I betcha they tell you the same thing... I don't notice anymore - but I'm in sports mode a lot ;-)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I have noticed this wobbly feeling when the car is idle, like it wobbles slight left and right, the RPM of the car also very slightly fluctuate which you won't notice unless you pay very close attention to the needle and notice the movement. The feeling is like how you feel when you are in a boat floating in a calm water. Anyone experience the same? What is the problem?
Curious, do you have PASM?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Mine does this - sometimes more than others. I also have sport chrono. I've always thought it to be normal.
FWIW, while I have not experienced this occurrence the DCS V2 will allow you to tighten up the engine mounts in normal mode. That should stop the swaying.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Curious, do you have PASM?
I have PASM with Sport Chrono
Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 AM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregD
Sure, why not... I asked the indy that pulled my codes (overrev) after buying the car AND the porsche tech that did my recalls, both the same week, they both said they all idled like that (and told me to try sports mode and indeed, all smooth)... I've also read on this board and others the exact same thing. Unless you have codes, I betcha they tell you the same thing... I don't notice anymore - but I'm in sports mode a lot ;-)
yeah, without code, they probably don't care much, but I hope my dealer here would do their best in their work. If all they do is read codes, why need a good mechanic or foreman, those folks would be out of their job in no time soon if that's what it all comes down too. They should start not being lazy and secure their job while Porsche have their lousy softwares still.

Btw my normal idle is 750, and sport mode bump it up to 800.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:09 PM
Jonny9999991
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah, without code, they probably don't care much, but I hope my dealer here would do their best in their work. If all they do is read codes, why need a good mechanic or foreman, those folks would be out of their job in no time soon if that's what it all comes down too. They should start not being lazy and secure their job while Porsche have their lousy softwares still.

Btw my normal idle is 750, and sport mode bump it up to 800.
hey @bmxtreme did you ever resolve this?

I knows it’s been a few years, but I too have your symptoms but also another annoying vibration at speed too, so currently trying to do the work for my dealer since all they seem to say is it’s normal.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2023, 07:26 PM
bmxtreme
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonny9999991
hey @bmxtreme did you ever resolve this?

I knows it’s been a few years, but I too have your symptoms but also another annoying vibration at speed too, so currently trying to do the work for my dealer since all they seem to say is it’s normal.

Thanks
Nah, never figure it out, my dealer asked me to go fly kite. I replaced my timing belt and spark plug last year and it's still doing the same thing in normal mode but very subtle, so I just kept it on sport mode most of the time, which I prefer anyway. Seems like it doesn't do any harm 🤷

Last edited by bmxtreme; 11-23-2023 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jan86 (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 07:36 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Nah, never figure it out, my dealer asked me to go fly kite. I replaced my timing belt and spark plug last year and it's still doing the same thing in normal mode but very subtle, so I just kept it on sport mode most of the time, which I prefer anyway. Seems like it doesn't do any harm 🤷
Please do tell.

Just kidding...I'm sure you meant serpentine belt.

Quick Reply: Slight wobbly feeling when car idles