Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

center lock wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There were problems with earlier iterations of CL wheels, on the 997 I believe, but they were revised for the 991. I have not heard or read about many if any 991 CL problems. There is margin for user error however.
I think people who are less mechanical may struggle with them, others no problem at all. For example one poster laments you need someone to hold the brakes, other users simply use a 24" reversed clamp that costs $20 to hold the brake pedal. I think the CL makes the GTS and would not have ordered the car without them. They look gorgeous and more special than a Carrera 5 lug.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:21 PM
walkabout
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I will likely go ahead with the purchase and live with the inconvenience at times. I plan to talk with the local shop to see if he can do the tire changes and has the tools. That may change my view. My guess is he will be willing to purchase the tools if necessary or I can buy them.

Thanks again

Don
Old 08-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Dan Darst
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was specing my car to order, thought about how many car manufacturers offer center locks. And since I was spending big for a special car anyway, decided to get them.

For the tools, you can get a three to one torque multiplier for two hundred dollars and use the half inch torque wrench you already have, then get the reversed clamp to hold the brake. I did the procedure just as an excersise, it's nothing.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:19 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Darst
...then get the reversed clamp to hold the brake. I did the procedure just as an excersise, it's nothing.
I've only changed them once and had a friend with me who wanted to see how it's done, so I had a brake pedal man. But I'd like to have the clamp for solo changes in the future. No problemo getting the Irwin clamp but I'm wondering how to install it -- does it push against the seat frame? I'm not at my car right now so it may be intuitive and obvious, but in case it's not, I don't want to mar or rip something if the clamp slips off because I put it in the wrong place.

Internet search turned up lots of mentions, but no pictorial of the wood clamp.

And I assume this is the clamp in question, with one side reversed?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Take the movable section and turn it opposite direction. Now it spreads outwards.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:06 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

I understand that part. Just wondering what you brace it against opposite the brake pedal.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Darst
When I was specing my car to order, thought about how many car manufacturers offer center locks. And since I was spending big for a special car anyway, decided to get them.

For the tools, you can get a three to one torque multiplier for two hundred dollars and use the half inch torque wrench you already have, then get the reversed clamp to hold the brake. I did the procedure just as an excersise, it's nothing.
how do you like he torque multiplier? how much easier does it make the job of loosening that bolt?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:12 PM
Dan Darst
Intermediate

I preferred the torque multiplier because it is short compared to the four foot 600 foot pound torque wrench, it is easier for one person to handle, comes in a nice case, costs less, already had the 225 foot pound torque wrench, and it fits in the frunk.

I find it much easier to work with than the alternative, but each should find their own easiest way.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Dan Darst
Intermediate

Regarding the clamp, both ends need to be turned 180 degrees. Push against the intuitive front of the seat. You can use something between the seat and clamp/spreader if you like. I may have used a piece of wood, 2x4 across the front of the seat to spread the load.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM
tekniik
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I understand that part. Just wondering what you brace it against opposite the brake pedal.
I believe the other side is reversed as well and braces against the bottom part of the seat.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I Track my TTS twice a month. Have two set of CL wheels.once you have all the tools, mounting stud, torque wrench, optimoly grease, it is way faster then five lugs. Just a little practice.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
problems:

center locks are awesome, and on of the best bits of the GTS. They are not rocket science, in fact you can easily watch a video on youtube on how to remove them.
Fixed.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

For me it boiled down to this:

1) 5 lugs are a known quantity, a "problem" that didn't need solving, so I would have gone with those except:
2) I wanted a GTS, and
3) The GTS demands that you pay for CLs, whether you get them or not, and
4) CLs are a $4000 cost adder on the one car where they are optional (991 Turbo), and I didn't want to pay that (or some fraction of it) and not get what I was paying for, and
5) The optional 5-lug S wheels are nothing special, but the CLs are very special looking.

If CLs were optional on, say, 991.2S, I'd not pay the 2-4K extra for them, especially given the raft of nice looking wheels for 991.2S.

I've not found the CLs to be particularly daunting, but again, they're a bit more trouble than 5 lugs, more can go wrong when reinstalling, unless you carry your tools around you could wind up in a place where nobody can change them, and they don't solve any problems that need solving. For me it was purely a look and a uniqueness factor. If they start being optional on later regular 911 models, that part will be destroyed.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
porsche42
Racer

Get this torque wrench
http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...s-c4d600f.aspx
then go to Lowe/Home depot and get a metal bar to use as the breaker bar. Daunting at first, but becomes easier when you do it a couple of times.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:05 PM
walkabout
Intermediate

Thanks again for your input. I went ahead and put a deposit on the car last night and will order the torque wrench to have available if needed.

You guys are the best!

Don

Quick Reply: center lock wheels