Sponsored by:

LWFW upgrade on a 991 GTS MT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:42 AM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWFW upgrade on a 991 GTS MT?

Might be a really bad idea but today I read a thread about that the Lightweight flywheel for the 911R might be possible to upgrade as a spare part for the many customers that had their car built without one.

This sparked a thought - would it be possible to upgrade other MT 991s such as the GTS to a LWFW to get that free revving character?

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

not clear that the R LWFW would be compatible with the rest of the 991 range, since the 6MT on that car differs from the 7MT PDK derived transmission on
the rest of the 991 range...

Also you should go read the numerous threads on the 997 GT3 forum regarding engine damage due to harmonic vibrations caused by the LWFW on
the RS and retrofitted to many GT3s...
Old 08-06-2016, 03:30 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

even if avail later via parts dept, the ECU on the 911R with the ( avail starting with Nov production ) optional single mass flywheel may be factory preprogramed so it doesnt stall if you , say, throw the gearbox suddenly into neutral and brake as you rapidly approach a stop sign

for a daily driver 991, not sure I'd want the constant " can of pebbles " grinding/rattling from the gear box when trundling around in stop and go traffic
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
even if avail later via parts dept, the ECU on the 911R with the ( avail starting with Nov production ) optional single mass flywheel may be factory preprogramed so it doesnt stall if you , say, throw the gearbox suddenly into neutral and brake as you rapidly approach a stop sign

for a daily driver 991, not sure I'd want the constant " can of pebbles " grinding/rattling from the gear box when trundling around in stop and go traffic
That could well be the case, although as I recall on the 997 GT3 there was a sensor that identified LWFW vs DMFW and the ECU corrected accordingly, I would expect the 'R' to do the same.

But your point is a very valid one, since the 'R' ECU and the rest of the 991 series programming will be totally different and its highly unlikely that the 'std' 991 ECU has such a feature, so there is a real driveability issue in
attempting this conversion w/o an associated ECU re-program, which in this
instance would require to be an aftermarket affair (as the R programming would not be usable on another 991).
Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 AM
atm75
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MKW, you're probably right - this idea stops at the ECU, which will only work if a third party develops it, which in turn is unlikely.

I love my GTS though so I'm totally happy as is - it's only sometimes one gets carried by the upgrade bug.

Larry, wasn't aware of the damage issues, thanks!

Quick Reply: LWFW upgrade on a 991 GTS MT?