Sponsored by:

Hill Hold on 7MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:58 AM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Being in the Chicago Area, the highest hill is an overpass, so not much use for hill hold feature here. But I noticed today while coming out of a slight incline that the hill hold feature on my 2013 7MT 991 seems to hold a little too tight. When I start out it really feels as if the e-Brake is fully engaged and take a bit more gas/clutch to get the car moving. I have driven a 6MT Mini Cooper with hill hold which felt much less like the e-brake was fully engaged.

I believe that I have seen other posts here where people complain about the amount of gas/clutch to get the 7MT moving. My question here is if anyone is aware of a hill hold adjustment that can be done by owner/dealer to reduce the amount of brake applied for the hill hold function?

Thanks for looking.
There was a software update for the e-parking brake which apparently improved the HH operation as well. However, it appears to only apply to '12s and early '13s.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...hill-hold.html
Old 08-06-2016, 11:35 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Max...
Re-tested: works. Shrug. DNR, throw back to QA

Doesn't feel as bad as ebrake or as smooth as what I had in BMW. On the other hand it isn't all too sensitive since it took quite a nasty ramp to engage it. Guess it's better to have it than not.
It rarely ever goes on in my 2012.5 manual ... I think I've experienced it only a handful of times in the 4+ years I've owned my car.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 PM
pfan
Pro

Upon further investigation, I'm unsure as to why the electric parking brake software update would affect the hill hold operation. The HH function doesn't utilize the e-parking brake; it actually uses the PSM system to maintain brake pressure at all four wheels.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Bishop200
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...I'm sure that I've heard that motor/solenoid sound that the E-brake makes when the hill hold has disengaged...could be wrong.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:48 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bishop200
Hmm...I'm sure that I've heard that motor/solenoid sound that the E-brake makes when the hill hold has disengaged...could be wrong.
Oh, that's interesting! HH has thwarted my efforts to move forward on many occasions. If I wanted an idiot-proof car I'd have bought a lovely Accord.

I don't mind the theory of HH, but Porsche should check with the engineers that designed the simple Ford Fiesta for proper execution of the idea... it worked flawlessly in my Fiesta ST. We've had several BMWs and it works nicely... behind the scenes.

Lastly, to all those that say it works great, the recurring nature of this discussion proves it interferes with many normal driving styles... Porsche owes us an e-band aid to reduce the nuisance.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I've been saying for over 2.5 years the Hill Hold works great. In my 32,000 miles, this function has engaged less than 10 times. Each time it worked flawlessly. I'm still convinced the likability of this feature is directly related to your driving style of a manual transmission, and how you were taught to drive such manual.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:09 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well Lexvan, last time I was in Chicago it was prett flat.

I live here.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201603030139

Depending on my route, my HH could trigger 10x a day.

I haven't had a problem starting on a hill since I was 16, aside from our new Targa. I've got a big-block 4-speed Mercury Cyclone GT with mechanical clutch linkage. No problem. I plow snow with a 5-speed F250 and a hydraulic clutch. No problem. Same truck tows the 50 year old Merc... just over 5 tons CGVW... no problem.

Oh, that pesky 915 in our SC... you guessed it... No problem.

I have a problem with HH, and so do plenty of other folks here. Maybe in flat country it's no issue, but the world isn't flat.

HH is a problem.

Porsche owes us a less intrusive/defeatable solution.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:31 PM
pfan
Pro

The more posts I read concerning dissatisfaction with the HH feature, the more I'm convinced that the feature may not be operating properly on certain cars. I've got to believe there's a certain amount of adjustability within the system that should allow for some fine tuning.

The only time I've had difficulties is when I didn't check the dash to see that it was engaged.

Also, after re-reading Porsche's description, it sounds as if PSM is initially utilized to maintain brake pressure and then the e-brake is applied.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that I am actually pretty proficient with an MT. Been driving one for over 30 years and am yet to need to replace a clutch. The HH feature on my Mini, which I am assuming is akin to the BMW units mentioned here was quite effective.

My car is an early 2013 build, so I am going to pursue Pfan's recommendation and ask the dealer to look into this.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2016, 01:49 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, having learned manual in the hills of San Francisco, I don't normally use the parking brake at all for steep hills on any of my previous manual cars because I learned to engage the clutch quickly. So my first impression was the hill hold feature was slower than my standard clutch engagement and the first few reactions for me were the panic of, "uh oh, I've messed up my engagement, I'm going to roll back". So, I've just had to get used to letting the car do it and go slow as if I was using a parking brake technique.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

gradual smooth clutch release, add a little gas as needed, just keep it smooth, that's all

Quick Reply: Hill Hold on 7MT