Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Techart paddle conversion for PDK button wheel?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone tried Techart paddle conversion for PDK button wheel?

Greetings Rennlist. So the GTS is nearing 'completion' - have the Fabspeed headers installed, and a Kline Inconel catback on the way (review of that to follow once it's on). Also having Xpel Stealth PPF put on the original JBM paintwork as the grey wrap seemed to be a stone-chip magnet. Will post some pictures of that once it's done. The last piece of the puzzle is the steering wheel.

I ordered the MF wheel because I have a thing about having a volume control on the steering wheel. I'm a bit of an audio-tragic and I adjust the volume a lot while on the move. Plan was to switch it for the 991.2 MF/paddle wheel, but as one brave RLer found out recently, if one does this the MF controls don't work. Shame, but so it goes.

I'm sick of the buttons for changing gear (I drive in manual all the time), so my options are:

1) buy a sport design wheel. This is full OE and has lovely metal paddles but I lose the volume control (and heating!)

2) do a Techart conversion, where they blank out the buttons and fit their own proprietary race-grade polymer (plastic!) paddles. So I get to keep my MF and heating but have those instead of metal paddles.

Has anyone tried option 2? It seems the most sensible one, but I do like the thinness of the SD wheel and would hate to spend the money and have the paddles not feel 'right'. All opinions welcome. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2016, 12:53 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

yes i have them on my 997.2 (see pic at left) -- terrific upgrade -- the std buttons absolutely suck
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Greetings Rennlist. So the GTS is nearing 'completion' - have the Fabspeed headers installed, and a Kline Inconel catback on the way (review of that to follow once it's on). Also having Xpel Stealth PPF put on the original JBM paintwork as the grey wrap seemed to be a stone-chip magnet. Will post some pictures of that once it's done. The last piece of the puzzle is the steering wheel.

I ordered the MF wheel because I have a thing about having a volume control on the steering wheel. I'm a bit of an audio-tragic and I adjust the volume a lot while on the move. Plan was to switch it for the 991.2 MF/paddle wheel, but as one brave RLer found out recently, if one does this the MF controls don't work. Shame, but so it goes.

I'm sick of the buttons for changing gear (I drive in manual all the time), so my options are:

1) buy a sport design wheel. This is full OE and has lovely metal paddles but I lose the volume control (and heating!)

2) do a Techart conversion, where they blank out the buttons and fit their own proprietary race-grade polymer (plastic!) paddles. So I get to keep my MF and heating but have those instead of metal paddles.

Has anyone tried option 2? It seems the most sensible one, but I do like the thinness of the SD wheel and would hate to spend the money and have the paddles not feel 'right'. All opinions welcome. Thanks!
do this! you wont regret it!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1

Turn stereo off, PSE on and volume control is via right foot.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:42 PM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Is the TechArt steering wheel the same thickness as OE?

Also, I believe you can choose some other nice features like perforated leather at 10 and 2, deviated stitching and the colored top wheel marker.

Any sense of pricing?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:59 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Do this twice it's perfect
Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
+1

Turn stereo off, PSE on and volume control is via right foot.
If my wife didn't use it to check out the traffic reports, I wouldn't have a clue whether the radio worked or not. Flat 6 Symphony is my one-song playlist...T
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 205 Posts

OEM Sport Design wheel is the way to go. One of the best steering wheels I've used on any car, the paddles are perfect.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the Techart paddle shifters installed on 991.1 MF wheel. They looked and worked great. You'll be happy with the upgrade because you keep the MF features. champion also had a paddle shifter option you could check.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a picture of my TechArt paddle installation. I'm very happy with them. I sprayed Plasti-dip on the button covers to rid myself of the silver TechArt ones for better blending. It's lasted for years.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 5774
Size:  443.4 KB
Old 08-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by dgoldenz
OEM Sport Design wheel is the way to go. One of the best steering wheels I've used on any car, the paddles are perfect.
+1
Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwaynemosley
Here's a picture of my TechArt paddle installation. I'm very happy with them. I sprayed Plasti-dip on the button covers to rid myself of the silver TechArt ones for better blending. It's lasted for years.

Attachment 1076464
Thanks for that. Are you happy with the feel/action of the paddles as compared to OEM?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Thanks for that. Are you happy with the feel/action of the paddles as compared to OEM?
They work flawlessly. I could not live with the buttons. It was a bit of a PITA to get the plastic center portion of the wheel loose and off, but after that the rest is not difficult at all

Since I've never had a Porsche sport wheel with OEM paddles, I don't know whether these are as good as those or not. Maybe someone else has used both wheels and can chime in.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Getting close to pulling the trigger on this one way or the other (and haven't ruled out going nuclear and buying the 991.2 GT Sport wheel without MF). One more question: how do the paddles attach to the car? Do they basically stick on the back of the existing buttons, so that when you pull one you are effectively making a pull action on the button, but the buttons are rewired so one shifts up and one shifts down?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:40 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my dealer install the paddles.

Pros:
- Keep heated steering wheel function, a must have for me owning a cab
- Less expensive keeping my CF / leather wheel matching existing interior
- Real paddles
- Works flawlessly

Cons:
- My biggest gripe is that these paddles are painted plastic. Feels cheep, looks cheep if you look closely
- Not OEM

it's a tough choice. Give up CF / leather and heated steering wheel for OEM paddles? I am still torn on this one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone tried Techart paddle conversion for PDK button wheel?