Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you ever accept an electronic glitch on a new Porsche that can't be fixed?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:55 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Would you ever accept an electronic glitch on a new Porsche that can't be fixed?

I have had a series of electronic issues initially traced to a bad left rear wiring sub harness. My parking brake computer and sensor does not behave correctly triggering a flashing light indicating something is wrong when the brake is correctly engaged. The shop foreman could not reset it with the P master computer. The next step is to leave the car for a week and let them start swapping parts related to the parking brake sensor, computer etc. The car runs great otherwise and is a blast to drive. So my question, I guess, is whether I should just drive and enjoy the car or let them keep trying to fix it and take a chance on messing something else up.
Jim
Old 07-27-2016, 08:58 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Did Porsche cash 100% of your check when you purchased your car, enough said.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:02 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They certainly need to fix it. So to your title question...F No. And if it continues you have a lemon candidate.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I would keep having them fix it until it works like it is supposed to...
Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

The parking brake problem did not arise until they tore into the wheel well, replacing the wheel bearing assembly before finding out it was a wiring harness problem. The car becomes 'less stock' with each trip to the repair facility. its like, it works but differently then when new and that darn blinking light!
J
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I can relate to your dilemma, I rather not have them take my car apart but it is also annoying to know things are not 100% the way they need to be. I had a similar issue with my BMW assist, it was recommended that the module be replaced, etc etc. I decided to live without assist and not have my brand new car taken apart.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Research the Lemon Laws in your state. The law will tell you how many chances they get to make each defect right then it sometimes becomes an auto-triggered buyback.
Make sure you know more about the law than your dealer=LEVERAGE

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I would let them dig and dig and fit it correctly.

I would also get to know your regional Porsche rep and start chatting about turning the car in if it does not fix the problem.

There are folks on here more knowledgeable then me on the lemon law procedures.... and I hope to never have to be knowledgeable.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:53 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
The parking brake problem did not arise until they tore into the wheel well, replacing the wheel bearing assembly before finding out it was a wiring harness problem. The car becomes 'less stock' with each trip to the repair facility. its like, it works but differently then when new and that darn blinking light!
J
Some people have fewer problems with salvage title flood cars. Tried changing dealers?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'd want it fixed. I'd also expect a decent loaner car while yours is in the shop.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Research the Lemon Laws in your state. The law will tell you how many chances they get to make each defect right then it sometimes becomes an auto-triggered buyback.
Make sure you know more about the law than your dealer=LEVERAGE
This^^^^

You spent a lot of money for a car with the expectation it will work properly. If it were a toaster, computer or lawn mower, etc. I suspect you would not "learn to live" with any shortcomings. It is funny that the more people spend on something, the more they seem to be willing to accept less than advertised quality.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,114 Likes on 665 Posts

Aren't electrical issues one of the hardest to find and fix? Tearing the car apart to find and fix it would be a real pain with no guarantee that they will find and fix it. Unfortunately, sounds like a losing proposition and actually might be easier to live with it depending on your tolerance level.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Aren't electrical issues one of the hardest to find and fix? Tearing the car apart to find and fix it would be a real pain with no guarantee that they will find and fix it. Unfortunately, sounds like a losing proposition and actually might be easier to live with it depending on your tolerance level.
Yes, electrical problems can be often hard very hard to find and fix. Often they prove to be in the wiring harness and to get at this can require the vehicle be stripped down to the painted metal.

I've spotted a Cayenne in the service bay with all the interior pieces out and when asked what was going on was told the vehicle was in for an electrical problem and the wiring harness was being replaced.

But I don't care. If it were my car and still under warranty I don't care how much work it would be to find and fix the problem that's between the dealer and the factory.

I would want it fixed or the car bought back and I make suitable arrangements for another comparable car.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I have had a series of electronic issues initially traced to a bad left rear wiring sub harness. My parking brake computer and sensor does not behave correctly triggering a flashing light indicating something is wrong when the brake is correctly engaged. The shop foreman could not reset it with the P master computer. The next step is to leave the car for a week and let them start swapping parts related to the parking brake sensor, computer etc. The car runs great otherwise and is a blast to drive. So my question, I guess, is whether I should just drive and enjoy the car or let them keep trying to fix it and take a chance on messing something else up.
Jim
Leave the car and with the statement you expect the car to be fixed and fixed right.

I would not accept the car as it is. You paid top dollar for the car with the expectation it would be ok and it is not, through no fault of your own.

When you go to pick up the car you must be prepared to refuse to accept the car if the problem is not dealt with completely.

Then when you get the car back be sure you thoroughly road test the car to ensure the problem is gone and that no new problems are present.

If the original problem is back or there is another problem, no matter how seemlngly small it is, refuse to take the car. Leave it.

As others have offered, and I have to repeat this because it is important, learn all you can right now about the lemon laws in your state.

Be sure you know what you need to do in order to make a case should it come to this that the car is a lemon and do it.

And to reinforce this: You must not accept the car back if the original or any new problems are present. If you accept the car then you have signaled the dealer you will accept sub-par service/repair and in the future you can forget about ever getting any problem ever addressed to your satisfaction.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,235 Posts

Jim
short answer 'NO' ... not on a $100k+ car... probably not on any new car actually

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would you ever accept an electronic glitch on a new Porsche that can't be fixed?