Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 991.1 CPO --- what is it exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:39 AM
ludimagister
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche 991.1 CPO --- what is it exactly?

Seeing so may different opinions about CPO vs. non-CPO I am wondering about a few things regarding the 991.1 CPO (more than I could just find on the Porsche website or on the internet):

1) Can anybody post a list of what exact checks/conditions etc. are run to get a car CPO-ed?

2) Are there cars out there that could be CPO-ed but aren't? Why not? To expensive, too much trouble for dealer?

3) If a car is not CPO-ed, what is mainly the reason? (My guess would be accident, track use, baby threw up in car, ...?)

4) Any other opinions on CPO? Is it worth it?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

If a CPO isn't too much more expensive than non-CPO, it's worth it. They usually replace the tires, fresh fluids, accident free, and has 100k mile warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...rscheapproved/
Old 07-26-2016, 12:20 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm pretty sure if you ask a Porsche Dealer why a car is not CPO'ed they would be upfront about it.

It probably comes down to a 3K mark up but there might be a true reason.

Let us know what you find out while you shop.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:42 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think it's worth it. It's just another extended warranty. The best warranty, for sure, but man oh man do you pay for it.

I try to get a car that has passed the CPO inspection but skip the warranty. Most dealers won't do that any more.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:50 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ludimagister
Seeing so may different opinions about CPO vs. non-CPO I am wondering about a few things regarding the 991.1 CPO (more than I could just find on the Porsche website or on the internet):

1) Can anybody post a list of what exact checks/conditions etc. are run to get a car CPO-ed?

2) Are there cars out there that could be CPO-ed but aren't? Why not? To expensive, too much trouble for dealer?

3) If a car is not CPO-ed, what is mainly the reason? (My guess would be accident, track use, baby threw up in car, ...?)

4) Any other opinions on CPO? Is it worth it?
It was worth it to me. Since I don't put a lot of miles on, it amounts to two extra summers of warranty. But that's cool, and I had the assurance that it had maintenance done. My car had been leased, and it was almost pristine, so warranty through 2018 was extra peace of mind.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ludimagister
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

this should work...

Let me also day some dealers will tell you it cost $200-300 for the inspection and am additional $2500 -2800 for the CPO warranty. My recollection is it can only be offered by a Porsche Dealer on a car they own, and while the car is still within its original 4 year warranty. If purchased by the dealer the car is covered by the original factory warranty for up to 6 years and 100,000 miles from the original warranty start date.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
porsche-inspection.pdf (146.6 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by PCA1983; 07-26-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 AM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the car can be an Approved CPO as noted in a link above and as follows:

Porsche Approved - this grade is given to pre-owned Porsche vehicles which meet the quality standards of the Porsche brand. This is how you can broaden your choice between a new and a pre-owned vehicle by one additional option: a Porsche Approved vehicle. Current model year vehicles and those of eight previous model years with less than 100,000 miles are eligible for enrollment.

Buying a Porsche Approved Certified Pre-owned Vehicle means that your dream will remain unbroken. In fact, we are so confident in our high standards that we put our name on it: Porsche Approved.

Porsche Approved means

In term, the CPO Limited Warranty is a total of 2 years or up to 50,000 miles from the mileage on the odometer at the time of retail used delivery not to exceed a total of 100,000 miles/160,000 KM.
The vehicle meets the Porsche preparation standards
The certification vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist
All work has been performed by Porsche trained technicians
Only Genuine Porsche parts have been used
-------

I was quoted between $3,000 and $3,400 when shopping.

I would definitely think it's worth it, depending on how long you keep it.

Some dealers offered the cars with or without CPO, in those cases I felt comfortable knowing they were able to certify it and that the car should be mechanically sound.

I would probably stay away from a car that a dealer is not willing to certify.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:13 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

I've had a couple CPO cars. One had 1,000 miles on it when I bought it. I wouldn't buy a used car without it.

The extra ~$3K is a small price on a car that loses $50K in depreciation in ~four years.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:55 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jnosol
If a CPO isn't too much more expensive than non-CPO, it's worth it. They usually replace the tires, fresh fluids, accident free, and has 100k mile warranty.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...rscheapproved/
Not necessarily accident free. There is a tolerance within the spec that allows for 2 or 3 panels (I forget) to be damaged and it will still qualify - so don't make the mistake and assume that CPO = pristine. It does not. Many will argue that even a CPO car needs a PPI from a different dealer.

Having said that I would never buy without CPO. It's a fantastic warranty.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

^This. If you are looking for a nice used car, here is the money worth spending in order to ensure that it stays that way for 100,000 miles.

Most 991's are too new and too low mileage yet to know what the real issues might be at 60,000 mile+ for this model.

My car now has 53,000 miles (24,000 when I bought it 2 years ago). So it is no longer under the original factory warranty. But I am not sweating anything for a while because I did choose a CPO car when I bought it. I have owned 17 previous Porsches over the past 45 years and I can tell you they can be suddenly very expensive if you don't have some sort of protection. And the really ugly stuff doesn't happen until you get some miles on the car.
I NEVER get any service done at any place other than a Porsche Dealer. It is a form of insurance. Sure I could probably do my own oil changes, but is the car really getting a full inspection when I do?
I consider it to be the same as life insurance or homeowners insurance or flood insurance, etc. You pay up front hoping you will never need it. But it is sure nice to have if you do.

Ugly stuff that happens under warranty rarely makes it to these forums. It is the stuff that someone is having to pay out of pocket that makes it to this website.

I had a TON of VERY expensive and complex (electrical) things go wrong with my 991 after I bought it. And the previous owner did, too. But those were covered under warranty so they make for little discussion here on these boards because no one is looking for an answer, or has had to solve it themselves out-of-pocket.

Plenty goes wrong with 991's. But if the dealer is handling it all under warranty, then we don't read about it here. - example: have you replaced your warped door panels on you 2012.5 991 with standard interior? My driver's side started going bad about 18 months ago, and was replaced last fall under factory warranty. Now the passenger side is showing the same symptoms. Thank you CPO! This is NOT a rare problem. But it took years for it to manifest itself, and may not be limited to only early 991's because it took so long to become an issue. There could be a couple years of 991's with this issue. There were 3 used 991's cars in the back of the dealer lot when I bought my car and those already had the problem worse than mine became, and were sitting waiting for Porsche to produce a run of those door panels again.
What if it turns out that we should have been replacing our water-pumps every 60,000 miles or four years, just like the 996 and 997 crowd. Nothing mentioned in my service manual about that. So it if fails, and takes the engine with it, CPO!

My heater system completely crashed and burned about 18 months ago - all of it, including defroster and fan system, and took the rear window with it because the heating elements there fried, too. Took the complete PCM module and display. Took out the headlight controllers. All covered under factory warranty. And if it happens again, then the CPO covers it. A least until the car is 6 years old in my case. And if none of that had happened until today, the CPO would have covered it all.

But if I trade this car in before 80,000 miles, the dealer can transfer the CPO to the next buyer, which means my car is worth more on trade-in through a Porsche dealer because it still meets all of the conditions for continued coverage. Money spent on the front side, comes back in increased trade-in value. Your CPO means nothing to other car dealers at trade-in time, but it may be valuable to a direct buyer.

CPO is insurance. They make money because the majority of folks don't need it. Just like homeowners insurance. How close do you live to those fires in California?

Last edited by Thundertub; 07-27-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:40 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
example: have you replaced your warped door panels on you 2012.5 991 with standard interior? My driver's side started going bad about 18 months ago, and was replaced last fall under factory warranty. Now the passenger side is showing the same symptoms. Thank you CPO!
I noticed this on my 2012.5 CPO two weeks ago. Dealer has stated that it is not a CPO item. I asked them to confirm but have not heard back. Any suggestions to get it covered?
Old 07-27-2016, 04:48 PM
ForbiddenRooster
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

From my CPO checklist concerning the body: Ineligible for CPO if,
1. The body of the vehicle has structural damage and/or sub-par repair
2. Panels are misaligned and have a wave-like appearance
3. Panels have been painted and there are signs of mismatched paint or inconsistence in the finish of the paint
4. Signs of structural damage, e.g. damaged flanges, loose or broken joining elements (spot week's, rivets, etc.) and/or deformities in the sheet metal
5. Paint work on the vehicle exceeds a total of 3 panels and is inconsistent in texture or color
Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Because I had to replace the drivers side panel last year, I specifically asked about what-if the passenger panel. Service Manager said, covered under CPO.

At least for me, my car, at my dealership. There seems to be some flexibility in how CPO's are executed.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
There seems to be some flexibility in how CPO's are executed.
I have had two CPO cars in the past and my experience was that the service manager had a lot of wiggle room on how he wrote up an issue and if it then qualified as a covered item.

I've also had one person tell me no, then another tell me yes (gas struts in a Cayenne trunk come to mind.......$1,500 fix that wasn't covered until I checked a second time).

In other words have a decent relationship with the service boys and make sure they know how to wiggle. It's still a very comprehensive warranty.

Quick Reply: Porsche 991.1 CPO --- what is it exactly?