Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus Toggle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:52 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Steering Plus Toggle

So, after reading all the opinions on power steering plus I ordered from Suncoast and had the local dealer add. I can only tell a slight difference but it left me thinking, I can understand Porsche just dinging us for another option (since they do for everything else) but once you own it why don't they just add it as another item you can toggle on and off in the PCM like so many other items?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:29 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Well, the nature of the option is that it automatically toggles itself on and off -- on below 25 mph or whatever it is, and off above. They figure if you want it, you'll always want it below 25. I can't imagine many people needing unboosted response below 25 occasionally - like in a low-speed autocross or something -- but wanting it the rest of the time. I hated it at all times and happily removed it.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
zx5go
Racer

I've read so many people talk about the dramatic difference between having it and not that I'm wondering if the dealership actually got mine loaded. They failed the first visit because the code wasn't in the system yet but mentioned it was the first time they'd done it. I wish someone close had a 991 that either didn't have it or was familiar with the differences (yes, I've lost faith in my local dealership and will not longer be going there...its a long story).
Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The difference is very slight and only at very slow speeds. I've been saying that on here for a long time, but certain purists love to dick swing on this topic and claim that it's some big difference. I have it on one of my cars and not on the other two. I like it, but not enough to spend the money and time to get it added to the Carrera yet. Honestly, the only time I even notice it is if I'm making a tight turn in a parking lot.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The difference is very slight and only at very slow speeds. I've been saying that on here for a long time, but certain purists love to dick swing on this topic and claim that it's some big difference. I have it on one of my cars and not on the other two. I like it, but not enough to spend the money and time to get it added to the Carrera yet. Honestly, the only time I even notice it is if I'm making a tight turn in a parking lot.
+1
Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Honestly, the only time I even notice it is if I'm making a tight turn in a parking lot.
And I too have been saying on here for a long time that some of us actually care about what steering feels like at parking lot speeds. I don't know why you keep insisting that that is dick swinging. I don't know that anybody argues it is an issue at racetrack speeds, interstate speeds, or anything above school zone speed's. But how having a preference for heavy steering at parking lot speeds is somehow dick swinging remains a mystery to me, and would seem to only occur to someone who has a lot of time to spend thinking about dicks and the swinging thereof.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 07-26-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not 95yrs old. I still like feeling the wheel and tires turn and putting slight effort into it. Not ready to throw the towel in. No walker or penile implant. Mine swings just fine.

I like the sports car feel. Not a Caddy or Buick lover.

I won't bring SPASM up. Boy, the guns come out on that one. The "scrape patrol" comes out in full force.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:33 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
I've read so many people talk about the dramatic difference between having it and not that I'm wondering if the dealership actually got mine loaded. They failed the first visit because the code wasn't in the system yet but mentioned it was the first time they'd done it. I wish someone close had a 991 that either didn't have it or was familiar with the differences (yes, I've lost faith in my local dealership and will not longer be going there...its a long story).
Hopefully you have another dealer to chose from. I know it's very frustrating.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
zx5go
Racer

Originally Posted by STG
Hopefully you have another dealer to chose from. I know it's very frustrating.
Yes, after the incident, I started searching and I feel foolish. Only a few more minutes drive the other direction and I'm at a Porsche Premier Dealership.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm not 95yrs old. I still like feeling the wheel and tires turn and putting slight effort into it. Not ready to throw the towel in. No walker or penile implant. Mine swings just fine.

I like the sports car feel. Not a Caddy or Buick lover.
+991

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus Toggle