Help me diagnose please

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 01:47 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help me diagnose please

Hello RL,

I wanted to see if you could help me diagnose a possible problem.

The Car:
I recently purchased a 2012.5 CPO C2S. It's a 7spd MT, with not too many fancy options (which was the way I liked it) and about 24K miles. It has the standard PASM suspension, on the standard 20" wheels and factory PZero tires.

The (possible) problem:
I was taking the car for a hard drive through the Angeles Crest canyons this weekend. The car was performing like a champ, and I was really enjoying the drive. On the return drive (which is largely a downhill ride), I experienced car bumping around far more than usual. My first though was that perhaps I had blown a tire, to the point where I eventually pulled over the check. The tires were fine, so I jumped back in and kept going. Still, the car felt strange.

Since then, I've been driving the car, and it largely feels normal, but it does feel like the bumps are noisier than usual. Hard to describe here, but bumps feel like they're making a "ka-thunk" sound vaguely towards the rear of the car. On a smooth road, the car is as quiet and smooth as can be.

I tried to go back to the canyons on Sunday late-afternoon, but ran into so much traffic that I wasn't able to get enough speed to see if it's hard driving that causes the bump and "ka-thunk" noises or not. Please note, that I can't seem to tell any difference if the "Sport" button is turned on or not. But, it was on during my hard canyon drive.

The context:
I've owned several "performance" cars including an RX7, an MR2, an E36 M3, and an E46 M3, several of which were significantly lowered so I'm very familiar with bumpy rides. In general, I'm amazed at how comfortable the ride is on the 991 considering how capable the car is. Also, I wouldn't by any means consider myself an automotive hypochondriac, but I'm questioning myself this time.

The question:
What do you all think? Does it sound like I'm imagining things or did something relatively subtle break? Thanks for reading this super long thread and thanks in advance for your advice

Last edited by bright_medal; 07-26-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Maybe high tire pressures or P Zeros that need to be swapped out?
Jim
Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Maybe high tire pressures or P Zeros that need to be swapped out?
Jim
Thanks for the advice, I don't think it's the PZeros. The front are brand new, and the rears are in good condition.

What tire pressures does everyone run on the front and rears?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 AM
dawgsontop
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if the feeling is consistently rhythmic and speed related that would lead me to believe that it's rotating mass related and it sounds awfully similar to what happened to me on my 335i. There ended up being 4 large bubbles on the inner sidewall of the back right tire and it was causing the car to vibrate at speed. Might not be a terrible idea to have the alignment/tire pressure/tires checked.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by bright_medal
The comfort pressure recommendations are....
31 Front
34 Rear
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you need new tires, switch to Michelin PSS2's. Much quieter tires.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I don't think it's the PZeros. The front are brand new, and the rears are in good condition.

I'd start here. How old are the rears? Rarely are the rears ever newer than the fronts.

As for the tires pressures, you may have worked them, and heated them up on the way up the canyon, then on the way down, they might be a bit (1-2 PSI) over inflated from optimum. Don't let em get much over 40-42 hot. 40 is pretty ideal (hot).
Old 07-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I run 31 front and 39 rear cold. Consider MPSS as your next set of tires, quieter and lasts longer.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:27 PM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went ahead and lowered my tire pressure to comfort settings and was pretty amazed by the difference.

However, I don't think that tire pressure was quite the "problem". The outside temp on Saturday during my canyon run was probably around 100 degrees, so I do wonder if I may have overheated my tires.

Does anyone think it might be suspension related? The harsh hits seem to be more harsh than ever and make a "thunk" like sound.

Thanks all.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Jnosol
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went ahead and lowered my tire pressure to comfort settings and was pretty amazed by the difference.

However, I don't think that tire pressure was quite the "problem". The outside temp on Saturday during my canyon run was probably around 100 degrees, so I do wonder if I may have overheated my tires.

Does anyone think it might be suspension related? The harsh hits seem to be more harsh than ever and make a "thunk" like sound.

Thanks all.
It might be good to have your dealer to take the look. It's not out of the ordinary for struts to give out pre-maturely or you have a rock stuck in the springs/suspension parts.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Thanks all.
check your rear droplinks are properly torqued, also check that you are not missing any wheel/ tire balance weights... check that your rear shocks are not leaking

Also remember if your tires were significantly over pressure this would impact high velocity compression cycles of your shocks, since the effective spring rate of the tires (over inflated) would be higher...

If the problem is still manifest, its a h/w problem, if its gone, then it was s/w (tire pressure etcs)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks all.
Check out the shocks. Maybe the gas seals are gone.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a "thunk" coming from my rear suspension. Brought it in for service, turns out it was the sway bar clunking away.

Last edited by Jsonorous; 07-26-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

OP might also try driving with PASM in "normal" and "sport" to see if the frequency of "thunks" changes with this setting ...
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

2nd on the the torquing sway bar connections. I had a rattle thump after I lowered my car. Turns out my drop links were a little loose.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose please