Sponsored by:

Help with rear badge on a 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 09:30 PM
spaceheater
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rear badge on a 4 GTS

I've been reading Rennlist for a couple years now, but never really had anything to add to the conversation.

Last June, I decided it was time to replace my RS4 and ordered a 991 4 GTS. The great thing about ordering was I could get exactly what I wanted. The downside was trying to figure out what that was.

So in the initially submitted order, I did a model delete. The "911 Carrera 4 GTS" was too much for me on the backend. After looking at the badging some owners on Rennlist have done, I decided I wanted the rear to have the brand name and just a simple "GTS" below it.

At that time, I changed my order to have the model designation just as "911" so that the height of the "PORSCHE" would be right and I could just replace the "911" badge.

November comes and the car is delivered. Somewhere along the lines the order didn't get changed. Unfortunately, if you do the full badge delete, the "PORSCHE" is mounted lower on the back. As a result, I didn't want to just add the GTS.

The dealership ordered me new badges and ordered the GT3 template to reinstall the badges I wanted. However, they couldn't locate the bracket that affixes to the car for the template.

They offered to mount it freehand, but instead I borrowed the template and I'm going to do it myself.

I tried to line the template up with a few cars on the lot, but unfortunately, there weren't any wide body cars with either the 4 light bar or GTS/50th grill.

Here's where I need help, can anyone with a 4 or GTS/50th measure the distance from the rear crease to the top of the "PORSCHE" letters for me so that I can mount the lettering at the right height?

As payment, here's a picture of my car.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Nice color combo!
Old 07-22-2016, 12:32 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a GTS and will measure when I get home this afternoon if you don't have an answer by then. I drove the Wrangler today.

I'm in a similar boat -- ordered the car and left all badges intact. But it's way too busy. I want to leave P O R S C H E as is, remove Carrera and just have 911 GTS. I think I'm going to hire it done.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceheater
Here's where I need help, can anyone with a 4 or GTS/50th measure the distance from the rear crease to the top of the "PORSCHE" letters for me so that I can mount the lettering at the right height? As payment, here's a picture of my car. Thanks!
I have a Targa 4S with standard badging.

I get 1 inch exactly when measuring from the little bend in the rear body panel right below the light bar (is that what you are calling the crease) to the top of the "S" in Porsche. It's a bit more than an inch at each end (the P and the E) because of the curve.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

My thinking was exactly the same as yours when I configured my 60th Anniversary Club Coupe. I ordered "911" instead of the sub-script "911 Carrera GTS" and then replaced the "911" with "GTS."

I get the same measurements as FASTTR...one inch from the crease to the top of the S in PORSCHE; about an inch & an eighth to the tops of P and E. The word PORSCHE is straight, but the curvature of the panel creates the greater distance to the outer most letters.

I'd measure the height of the S, add 1 inch, then put a LEVEL line of painters tape that far down from the panel crease in the center. Put the bottoms of your PORSCHE letters on that straight edge and you should be very close to factory. Sounds easy...
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2016, 05:17 PM
spaceheater
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies and FASTTR and Leader thanks for the measurements!

I should be able to get the 1" separation from the crease/bend in the deck to the top of the S in PORSCHE.

I borrowed the GT3 template from the dealer and should be able to use it to make sure the spacing is right as long as I get the height right in the middle.

The template is curved to line up with the rear body work. Hopefully it will be easy to get it level and lined up. Normally, the template attaches to some bracket that aligns with the body panel. But my dealership couldn't locate the bracket.

Here's a picture of the template.

I'll add some before and after pics tomorrow.
Attached Images  

Last edited by spaceheater; 07-22-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added comment about inclduing before and after pics
Old 07-22-2016, 06:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Just hold the template up there and rattle-can the letters onto your rear valance. Much faster.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 PM
spaceheater
AutoX

NoGaBiker,

That's a great idea. My other thought was to press the template up against the car and use the template to scratch up the back of the car except where the holes were. Like a sort of reverse secret image.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:40 AM
spaceheater
AutoX

It was too humid today to get the badges to stick well. I'll have to try again when it's not so humid out.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leader
My thinking was exactly the same as yours when I configured my 60th Anniversary Club Coupe. I ordered "911" instead of the sub-script "911 Carrera GTS" and then replaced the "911" with "GTS."

I get the same measurements as FASTTR...one inch from the crease to the top of the S in PORSCHE; about an inch & an eighth to the tops of P and E. The word PORSCHE is straight, but the curvature of the panel creates the greater distance to the outer most letters.

I'd measure the height of the S, add 1 inch, then put a LEVEL line of painters tape that far down from the panel crease in the center. Put the bottoms of your PORSCHE letters on that straight edge and you should be very close to factory. Sounds easy...
I would like to do the same as you. Remove "911 Carrera GTS" and just put GTS. Did you do that yourself? If so, did you have a template or just freehand it?
Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM
cmchism
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help a brother out??

Originally Posted by shellbmb
I would like to do the same as you. Remove "911 Carrera GTS" and just put GTS. Did you do that yourself? If so, did you have a template or just freehand it?
My detailee offered to take off my "Carrera 4 GTS" as one of the letters was broken and I had a full replacement set on its way. Unfortunately I didn't mention to him to get the exact spacing of the letters. Any 4Gts owners that can help give me the full installed length from front C to the end of the back S? Also would be great to know the distance beteeen the a and the 4 if any one had the time to help a new owner out. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my GTS for 4 weeks now. I ordered the rear badging with PORSCHE and then 911 below it to later change the "911" to "GTS". I forgot that when the car was going to be wrapped in PPF, the lettering would be removed which it has now. I have ordered the lettering again from the dealership. I'm thinking all Porsche dealerships have the template, no? It sounded like my SA would be able to apply the lettering at a nominal charge. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by nav991.2gts
I've had my GTS for 4 weeks now. I ordered the rear badging with PORSCHE and then 911 below it to later change the "911" to "GTS". I forgot that when the car was going to be wrapped in PPF, the lettering would be removed which it has now. I have ordered the lettering again from the dealership. I'm thinking all Porsche dealerships have the template, no? It sounded like my SA would be able to apply the lettering at a nominal charge. Fingers crossed.
Your detailer will likely make a template with painter's tape since the badges are still on the car. My 991 was debadged and I wanted to add "Carrera S"; my detailer had a leftover "template" from a 991.1 Turbo S and installed my badges.

Quick Reply: Help with rear badge on a 4 GTS