Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... who challenged you to a race today?

Old 07-21-2016, 02:35 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So... who challenged you to a race today?

Some wild-haired dude in a late-90's Camaro rolling on giant chrome rims.

I declined the invitation.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a new Camaro SS play with me a couple days ago... we slowed and accelerated to the speed limit... not even close.

In the Mountains earlier that morning I had a 370Z trailing me where even the posted speed limit is ambitious... I don't care about drag racing and each turn he would fall so far behind.... He caught up next to me at a stop while my top was down and he proclaimed that he had a twin turbo setup (I did see his giant FMIC) and still could't keep my pace. Sigh - silly rabbit, unreliable HP does nothing for handling and driver mod.

Rarely do I engage but I've been traveling so much for work and in rentals so I was really itching to drive.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:49 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

I'm not much for "engaging", esp in the middle of a heavily-traveled thoroughfare posted at 45mph. But it was worth a good head shake.

Usually I just get the guy in the "performance car" revving the engine at stoplights in front or in back of me, but this clown was just itching for it. Races up next to me, slows down, speeds up, slows down, speeds up... *ugh*
Old 07-21-2016, 03:51 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by drdiaboloco
I'm not much for "engaging", esp in the middle of a heavily-traveled thoroughfare posted at 45mph. But it was worth a good head shake.

Usually I just get the guy in the "performance car" revving the engine at stoplights in front or in back of me, but this clown was just itching for it. Races up next to me, slows down, speeds up, slows down, speeds up... *ugh*
I have been known to rev at cool cars when I am in a rental. Only to be funny and never in a car that is intended to be fast.... think prius, malibu, focus, etc...
Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I have been known to rev at cool cars when I am in a rental. Only to be funny and never in a car that is intended to be fast.... think prius, malibu, focus, etc...
Rev rev revvin' a Prius? Classic.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of idiots in pickup trucks and 350zs that I ignore, but I give mad props to a 80s VW Rabbit that I came up behind on Highway 128 through the twisties in Navarro River Redwoods State Park... it took me forever to catch up! That little thing looked like it was on two wheels in the turns!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:05 PM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Lots of idiots in pickup trucks and 350zs that I ignore, but I give mad props to a 80s VW Rabbit that I came up behind on Highway 128 through the twisties in Navarro River Redwoods State Park... it took me forever to catch up! That little thing looked like it was on two wheels in the turns!
Three, for sure. That was a hallmark of A1 and A2 gen Rabbits/Golfs/Jettas, and possibly later iterations as well. Ask me how I know this.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:05 PM
jdog0411
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I had a new Camaro SS play with me a couple days ago... we slowed and accelerated to the speed limit... not even close.

In the Mountains earlier that morning I had a 370Z trailing me where even the posted speed limit is ambitious... I don't care about drag racing and each turn he would fall so far behind.... He caught up next to me at a stop while my top was down and he proclaimed that he had a twin turbo setup (I did see his giant FMIC) and still could't keep my pace. Sigh - silly rabbit, unreliable HP does nothing for handling and driver mod.

Rarely do I engage but I've been traveling so much for work and in rentals so I was really itching to drive.
The Camaro SS wasn't even close? I know it's a fat pig, but it has a bunch of power. Was that just straight acceleration or was it in the twisties?
Old 07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by jdog0411
The Camaro SS wasn't even close? I know it's a fat pig, but it has a bunch of power. Was that just straight acceleration or was it in the twisties?
Straight line. Camaro has a ton more torque than my sad little 991.1s too but that transmission in the right gear...

I had an SS as a rental and it was one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Convertible... awful blind spots and the handling felt unsafe. I'd rather have a 4 cylinder ecotec mustang any day.

Cara and Driver says they're only a tick off... but that extra 1,000 pounds....

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/camaro

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm still waiting for a manual .2 that wants to play. In Mexico off course.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by drdiaboloco
Three, for sure. That was a hallmark of A1 and A2 gen Rabbits/Golfs/Jettas, and possibly later iterations as well. Ask me how I know this.
Hah! Awesome.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:05 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the things I hadn't thought about when driving my 991.2 C2s. Quite a few drivers will to risk life and limb to beat the Porsche. Happened too many times on a recent road trip. After the first incident with some bright yellow Chevy muscle truck I learned to just let them go. Too crazy.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Dbull65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I live in South Texas, it is always trucks that want to race. I just shake my head and continue about my business. The other day, I was coming home from San Antonio, and not one, not two, but three trucks tried to get me to race. I swear one of them had Farm Truck tags.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's ridiculous. Especially on the highway. Passing on the right to get two car lengths ahead. Diesel pickups are the biggest aggressors. The biggest dislike of owning the car.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:05 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm trying hard to pay attention to this thread but I keep getting a little creeped out by the OP's avatar
Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So... who challenged you to a race today?