Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911.2 vs 911.1 Ride Comfort Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
I swapped a 991.1 4S for a 991.2 4S. .1 had brand new tires, .2 shipped with the same ones. Both have/had SPASM. Only difference is the .1 had PDCC as well. I reduce the pressure a bit, so similar on both. And the .2 suspension is definitely markedly improved, big difference.
Same experience. I have no problem at all with my .1 suspension, but I'd trade it for the suspension in a .2 in a heartbeat.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:48 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Lots of placebo effects I'm guessing. New car, new tires, different weights/models, too many variables.

PASM, no PASM, SPASM, new updated PZERO's .... Etc ..... 19", 20", blah blah ..
I don't understand your post. Are you suggesting PASM doesn't add any ride comfort, it is just placebo?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:50 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can't argue with physics - especially if all other parameters are equal. That's why I've ordered a 991.2 on Porsche's OEM 19" wheel. 'Tyre sidewall' differential between a 20" with a 305 section and a 19" with a 295 section is around 9.5%. I'm not a Goodyear or Pirelli technician but that's gotta to improve sidewall suppleness by ....well...er...9.5%: a not inconsiderable figure in a world of incremental improvements. It also helps steering feel, too. The potential problem is you'll have to live with the rather ho-hum looks of the current 19" OEM rims until the after-market catches up. If you think the 19" rims don't provide a purer Porsche drive, then take a look at Jason Cammisa's review of the 'broke-bitch ain't got no options' C2 manual on Motor Trend's YouTube reviews in the last few months.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Lots of placebo effects I'm guessing. New car, new tires, different weights/models, too many variables.

PASM, no PASM, SPASM, new updated PZERO's .... Etc ..... 19", 20", blah blah ..
test drove an identical option .2 this weekend. My .1 is at 6k miles so still fresh. No different in ride and actually had a rattle in the .2 with 4K miles.

One thing that was great was the PDK shifters. The travel was half and this alone made it feel more precise. Not as little like a mouse click on my last car but shorter movement makes it feel much more precise.

suspension felt absolutely no change.

.2 had way more torque but just didn't have the soul. To be fair I have one of the most aggressive exhausts on the market which helps the experience with valves open or closed! Will not be trading
Old 10-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried a few cars out, the SPASM is stiffer than the normal PASM

Make sure you know which one is on the cars your drive.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Porsche makes all sorts of small improvements in the car that they don't publicize. My '14 Cayman S has the X73 sports suspension. My '16 Spyder has the X73 sport suspension. Yet the latter is waaaayyy better than the former. Porsche has improved the damping, making the car much more compliant in normal driving situations, yet retained all the response and performance in sporty situations. Same wheels and tires on both cars. The 'new' X73 is a big step forward from the 'old' X73.

When I drove the .2 base PASM car, the only thing about the car that stood out to me as really improved was the suspension. It felt better in the same way my Spyder's X73 feels better than the old one. I've driven a bunch of .1 Carreras with all three suspensions. The .2 was better than all of them.
The 958 Cayenne also got an unpublicized suspension upgrade in 2015! Drive a '14 then a '15 and you will notice a big difference with the SAME wheels/tires!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni
I think you can't argue with physics - especially if all other parameters are equal. That's why I've ordered a 991.2 on Porsche's OEM 19" wheel. 'Tyre sidewall' differential between a 20" with a 305 section and a 19" with a 295 section is around 9.5%. I'm not a Goodyear or Pirelli technician but that's gotta to improve sidewall suppleness by ....well...er...9.5%: a not inconsiderable figure in a world of incremental improvements. It also helps steering feel, too. The potential problem is you'll have to live with the rather ho-hum looks of the current 19" OEM rims until the after-market catches up. If you think the 19" rims don't provide a purer Porsche drive, then take a look at Jason Cammisa's review of the 'broke-bitch ain't got no options' C2 manual on Motor Trend's YouTube reviews in the last few months.
Yeah, love that MT review and influenced me in the options that I selected. I also read that a lot of guys tracking these take their 20's off and put on the 19's. I kept the 19's for the ride, but the 20's look better.

I had a 335is with the rubber band tires and always felt a jolt when it hit a seam in the road causing me to shudder...
Old 10-24-2016, 10:42 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha....Seems we are on 2 separate threads here. Mmm....maybe Signore Cammisa should be taking a commission from Zuffenhausen...!

Yep: stick to 19". BBS in Europe offer the CH-R only, so no split rims. You can also get BBS FI rims but they are wincingly expensive and come recommended at 20"....which kinda destroys the argument to change the OEM rims.

Interestingly it's the US after-market rim suppliers that are stepping upto the plate in offering solutions for the Gen 2 but we are hung up on TUV approvals in Europe, so like sticking with BBS and OZ....

It'd be interesting in what happens your side of The Pond for the Gen 2 as time wears on.

Cheers

Roger
Old 10-24-2016, 12:01 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default From the 991.2 press kit....

"Despite being considerably more comfortable than the previous model, the handling of the new 911 Carrera has reached an even higher level. Thanks to a new generation of active PASM dampers offering a broader spread between ride comfort and agile handling, body roll is reduced further during spirited driving, while the responsiveness on uneven road surfaces is improved. Rebound buffer springs at all four wheel corners not only reduce the tendency to roll and pitch, but also improve rebound response. The new chassis tuning also encompasses modified coil springs and anti-roll bars. The width of the rear wheels has been increased by half an inch to 11.5 inches. Working together with its tire suppliers, Porsche has developed a new generation of tires for the 911 Carrera that offer improved dry handling and braking as well as optimized wet handling characteristics and reduced rolling resistance."
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I drove a 991.1 C2S and a 991.2 C2S back to back within the same hour and could tell the difference. The .2 is simply more composed, IMO.

Having said that, we have HORRIBLE roads here in houston. My .1 C2S handles the bumps better than an M3 / M4. Of course, sport is unusable unless you are on a smooth backroad.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

My .1 had PASM and my .2 is equipped with SPASM. The.2 feels a little stiffer while at the same time more compliant over bumps and broken pavement. A definite improvement. Handling is also improved noticeably, the feels more direct and pinned down.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I drove a 991.1 C2S and a 991.2 C2S back to back within the same hour and could tell the difference. The .2 is simply more composed, IMO.
Absolutely. Anyone who can't feel the difference is numb or simply burying their head in the sand. Porsche has made a great suspension even better. Very noticeable on my test drive. That and the slightly quicker steering were the two most positive aspects of the car when I drove it. That said, I still love my SPASM/PDCC car and I'm blown away by how supple and comfortable it can be and yet still perform so well when pushed.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 PM
Itsrottweiler
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 CS and a close friend of mine just took delivery of a 2017 CS.

I drove mine to his place and immediately jumped to his car for a test drive. The difference was apparent. The 2017 just glided the roads. When my car needs new suspensions and if at all the 2017's suspension is compatible I would definitely fit them.

Originally Posted by kayjh
Hi,

Has anyone tried a 991.1 and 991.2 base and can comment on whether the ride quality is improved in the 991.2?

I had a C2S out for an hour a couple of weeks ago that seem to have a reasonably compliant ride. The dealer sold that car and is trying to sell me a 2015 C2 with 20's. I had the car out overnight last week and while I liked it, I found the ride bordering on "punishing" on some of our local roads.

I thought I read that the standard PASM and other adjustments on the 991.2 base have made the ride better. I'd test drive them back to back, but my dealer doesn't have the two iterations for me to drive. All that is left to test drive is a 991.2 C4S.

Any thoughts? I'm also wondering whether I'd see an improvement by sticking with the standard tire size (19")?

Appreciate your input.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:41 AM
planet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Itsrottweiler
I have a 2013 CS and a close friend of mine just took delivery of a 2017 CS.

I drove mine to his place and immediately jumped to his car for a test drive. The difference was apparent. The 2017 just glided the roads. When my car needs new suspensions and if at all the 2017's suspension is compatible I would definitely fit them.
Out of curiosity: does your 2013 have PDCC and/or SPASM? Does your friend's 2017 have either option?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:38 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
"Despite being considerably more comfortable than the previous model, the handling of the new 911 Carrera has reached an even higher level. Thanks to a new generation of active PASM dampers offering a broader spread between ride comfort and agile handling, body roll is reduced further during spirited driving, while the responsiveness on uneven road surfaces is improved. Rebound buffer springs at all four wheel corners not only reduce the tendency to roll and pitch, but also improve rebound response. The new chassis tuning also encompasses modified coil springs and anti-roll bars. The width of the rear wheels has been increased by half an inch to 11.5 inches. Working together with its tire suppliers, Porsche has developed a new generation of tires for the 911 Carrera that offer improved dry handling and braking as well as optimized wet handling characteristics and reduced rolling resistance."
Thanks for this Fred - I was looking for it! and as Archimedes pointed the ride difference between the .1 and .2 is noticeable (as is the handling difference).

Last edited by randr; 10-25-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 911.2 vs 911.1 Ride Comfort Differences?