Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New episode of MotorTrend Ignition (991.2 base)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
As you mentioned, the NA 991.1 would have been really slow from 2000 rpm as well. No turbo lag there, just the "lag" in building RPMs. In practical terms, you're going to be waiting a while in both of them for some action when starting at 2000 rpm.
In a PDK, the car would downshift in that situation, and in many instances people mistake that for "lag".
Old 07-22-2016, 02:05 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

For sure flooring it at 2K rpm is not the way to go. No engine likes that except for maybe a tractor or a Harley
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM
knasman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
In a PDK, the car would downshift in that situation, and in many instances people mistake that for "lag".
All (turbo, PDK, or NA rpm building) of them are lag in terms of "when do I get moving". And for all of them, the simple fix is to manually drop some gears
Old 07-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Happy911S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the questioning about turbo lag - it is just physics.

Both the 991.1 or .2 should respond almost immediately to a throttle response change, however, the .1 will be linear and the .2 will respond some and then have a short lag before the turbo spools. This is the point the guy made in the video. So if you are driving a .1 at at constant speed/RPM and press the accelerator 20% more the response will be to change speed very quickly. If you do the same in a .2 the engine will respond very quickly because there will be more fuel going in, however, a short time later the increased exhaust gas from more fuel being burned will cause the turbo to increase in speed and increase the air manifold pressure which allow the controls to add even more fuel or increase the torque. This is the turbo lag.

You may not notice the lag but it is impossible not to have some. It may not bother you that it has a small lag and it may bother others.

You can get FI without the lag but this requires a supercharger and is not as fuel efficient as a turbo.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On another topic, he mentions the steering feel is better on the 991.2, but still not at the level of the 997. I saw Tiff Needell thought the steering on the 991.1 was pretty good at 1:29 so I was surprised to see Motortrend complain about it

Old 07-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by knasman
While it _can_ have max torque at X RPM, it doesn't mean it always does. Flooring it at 2000 rpm will mean it takes forever to build boost, that would be your turbo lag. As you mentioned, the NA 991.1 would have been really slow from 2000 rpm as well. No turbo lag there, just the "lag" in building RPMs. In practical terms, you're going to be waiting a while in both of them for some action when starting at 2000 rpm.

In both cases, dropping a gear or two and mashing it would have been the quick way to go, obviously.
You're confusing throttle response with outright power. The throttle response on the NA car will be immediate and linear, it will just take time to go faster because it doesn't have as much power in that rev range. The turbo will be the faster car because it has more torque at lower RPMs, but it will have a throttle response characterized by initial lag and then a harder hit. Porsche has done a great job disguising it, particularly at higher revs, but it's still there to some extent. It's simply a trade off for having more power and better economy. When I drove the .2, I could definitely tell it was FI, but it wasn't so bad that it would keep me from buying the car. Porsche has done about as good a job as I think you can do with a turbo.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Wait a minute. The 991.2 is a turbo engine? Any lag? (Jk)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

What I want to know is how the car feels compared to the GT4. Not how fast it is, but how it feels compared to the GT4. My GT4 is awesome, and I don't want to get rid of it anytime soon, but I definitely miss having a 911 convertible. I just wonder if the new 911 feels as special and as solid as the GT4. Anyone have any comparisons?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
What I want to know is how the car feels compared to the GT4. Not how fast it is, but how it feels compared to the GT4. My GT4 is awesome, and I don't want to get rid of it anytime soon, but I definitely miss having a 911 convertible. I just wonder if the new 911 feels as special and as solid as the GT4. Anyone have any comparisons?
All I can say is, Id never trade my 17 C4S cab for any version of a Cayman and It feels more special than my old 15 GTS cab.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Apples to oranges comparison if there ever was one in the Porsche lineup. Totally different cars that will each feel special in very different ways.

If you love the GT4 but really want a convertible, I'd suggest trying to find one of last few Spyders still available on dealer floors. That's going to be much more comparable in feel and performance than your GT4.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 ... Well said. "To each his own" ..

The MY17 Carrera PDK coupe** loaner car we drove for better part of 2 days was a hoot... So much so that I've looked over the "build" feature on the Porsche website; A severe case of cognitive dissidence?
The 3.0ltt coupes power output/availability at lower RPM grabbed my attention regardless of elevation. Either or at Denver's 5280ft or a substantially greater 8,400ft + elevation throughout the mountain towns. The base cars diminished turbo lag character is a respectable accomplishment. ... The thin air/pressure at 8,400ft elevation presents an ever-so-slight, kinda-sorta-maybe turbo lag character yet well within the definition of throttle linearity... Turbo lag with the new 3.0ltt is a bit of a ghost.... You're either a believer or not.

That said, the throttle response of a MY98 3.6l air/oil cooled Hans Mezger flat six is old sckol throttle character in spades..
Location elevation effects air pressure/density metrics, big time. A rule of thumb for a normally aspirated (N/A) engine is (neg.) -3% specific output for every 1,000ft elevation increase.. Using "rule of thumb" arithmetic a MY98 993 C2S coupe's 3.6l N/A specific output is down -24% or so at the driveway which is 8,400ft elevation. .. As for elevation effect and the MY17 911 3.0l twin turbo .... some effect on specific output - however not so much.

** Base model MY17 911 3.0ltt (370hp/331 Lb.-Ft.)

Originally Posted by 997s07
Some may feel the lag and some may not. I felt a lag, but I am used to the ultra responsive 3.4 991.1 base. If one doesn't feel the lag consider yourself lucky and enjoy the 991.2.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:01 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Turbo lag or not, my 991.2 C2s has very addictive power and with all the handling goodies I got the car is very impressive in the turns. Did a a few mile loop the other day with some good turns and blasts out of turns. Got in the driveway and noticed that burnt rubber smell coming from the rear tires. Guess I had the traction control working overtime. A huge smile followed!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:17 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+1 ... I hear that. Huge smile!
The newer MY17 991.2 with twin turbo induction have my attention. ... Bring money.

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Turbo lag or not, my 991.2 C2s has very addictive power and with all the handling goodies I got the car is very impressive in the turns. Did a a few mile loop the other day with some good turns and blasts out of turns. Got in the driveway and noticed that burnt rubber smell coming from the rear tires. Guess I had the traction control working overtime. A huge smile followed!

Quick Reply: New episode of MotorTrend Ignition (991.2 base)