Sponsored by:

Took my 2017 991.2 to the track to help break it in

Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 AM
mlkn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty

Originally Posted by KenTO
Great video. i'm planning on taking my 991.2 to the track after 1 month of ownership. As I am leasing the car, could this cause any issues with Porsche warranty if it's under the break-in period?
I have it writing from the service manager here in CO that it will void the warranty. This is also in the official PCA guidelines. See copy of email below.

"Here is the word from PCNA, it is not true that if a dealer does the track inspection that it will not affect the warranty. If the vehicle is tracked and there is a failure directly related to the track use then it will not be covered.

Coverage Exclusions:
Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche approved electrical or accessory installation.
Tires damaged by road hazard.
Tires damaged by premature wear.
Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
Normal wear or deterioration of any part.
Cleaning and polishing.
Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
Air conditioner refrigerant charge after the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
Dealer-installed accessories. (Refer to the Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty in this Booklet.)
Wheel balancing and wheel alignment beyond the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with salvage titles.
Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A.
Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts) beyond the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or its authorized dealers.
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Minor wind noise and insignificant seepage at the joints between the top and the body, or door windows in Cabriolet, hardtop or Targa models cannot be completely avoided under all circumstances.
The customer’s Cabriolet should not be washed in a car wash and may experience damage to the top or rear window due to the scratching by the brushes, or may experience leaks due to the high pressure water streams directed in areas which would not experience water in normal driving conditions.
The outside of the underbody (floor pan) or any other part of the car except body panels.
Paint damage caused by abuse or lack of proper maintenance.
Environmental damage such as that caused by acid rain or other industrial pollution, insect or bird droppings, tree sap, stones or other flying missiles, highway maintenance chemicals, flood, storm, and other forms of disaster.
Paint color matching. (Porsche Cars N.A. reserves the right to decide whether painting the repaired or replaced panel to match the original finish is practicable. Porsche Cars N.A. will not, under any circumstances, pay for painting the entire car solely for paint color matching.)
Paint damage caused by the application of unauthorized paint sealants or polymers.
The customer’s vehicle is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices make some sort of noise, and/or vibration and those noises and vibrations can differ from vehicle to vehicle. Porsche Cars N.A. recognizes those noises as normal and characteristic of the product. Normal noises or vibrations as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. can be anything from brake squeal to road vibration. Therefore, normal noise and/or vibration and/or deterioration as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. or its representative, is not covered by our warranty.
Warranty claims that are submitted on Used Vehicles in Dealership Inventory must not be a part of the reconditioning of the vehicle prior to sale. Warranty repairs are intended for the defects of the workmanship or materials of the vehicle and not for normal wear and tear items.

Normal Vehicle Use:
The Owner’s Manual (which includes specific recommendations for the customer against using their car in certain ways) was written with the assumption that you will use your car only in ways for which it was designed:
To carry passengers and cargo within specified load limits. (The load limits are specified on labels located in different places depending on your model Porsche.) See the specific Owner’s Manual for their locations.
To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits.
To generally be driven daily over a distance of several miles. In the event of prolonged storage, the customer should contact their local authorized Porsche automobile dealer for instructions.
A battery maintainer, available at authorized Porsche dealers, must be used to maintain the vehicle’s battery state of charge if the customer’s vehicle will not be used for several days.
To be run on unleaded gasoline with the recommended octane rating as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
To be properly maintained according to the Maintenance Schedule in the Maintenance Booklet and Car Care Instructions in the Owner’s Manual."
Old 08-10-2016, 11:48 AM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great laps! Will you be running with PCA-GGR at TH before Labor Day? It will be a touch cooler then :-)
Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlkn
Some HPDE footage from my Fiesta ST. Overheated a couple times with 115 degree heat.

Congrats on the 991.2. I have a new 991.2 C2 but haven't tracked yet. At 500 miles too.

https://youtu.be/Xm_20Xq8s0w

Ha! I can appreciate the Ferrari driver that's careful to not drive beyond his/her abilities, but how about a point-by?

The Fiesta ST appears to be pretty well balanced. How do you like it?
Old 08-10-2016, 01:54 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 119 Posts

I have it writing from the service manager here in CO that it will void the warranty.
Not to pick nits, but no you don't. The warranty is not at all voided. "Affecting" the warranty and "voiding" the warranty are different things. PCNA is simply saying that if you take it on track and something breaks that they deem is related to that track use, they will disallow warranty coverage for that item.

Now that does give them a lot of latitude, but in fact, most of the mechanical systems on the car are subject to much higher stresses with track use, so it's not an unreasonable position for PCNA to take. If they have evidence that you have tracked your car, and then your PDK goes out six months later due to "heat related failure" or something like that, it's not unreasonable to deny coverage based on that known prior track usage. I got no problem with that. It is nearly impossible to generate the type of continued high heat on the street that you can easily get with every track venture. If the cars are not built for track use and warrantied for same, then it's reasonable for PCNA to deny.

Think of it like a street error that's outside of the design parameters of the car, say overrevving in a botched downshift. The bent valves won't be covered even though you were driving on the street. But the warranty is not voided. If your PCM screen goes out, it would be quite a stretch for PCNA to deny coverage based on track usage (or a street overrev event). Ditto your seat adjustment motor or your headlight dimmer or any number of other systems.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:06 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Very sexy car
Old 08-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
Great laps! Will you be running with PCA-GGR at TH before Labor Day? It will be a touch cooler then :-)
I will be there on the Friday with HOD (Derek's Day) and then just for the Saturday - my first time with PCA, should be a fun couple of days
Old 08-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Leecw
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by shewu
Originally Posted by dflowerz
Did you run the car in Sport+ mode? Were you shifting manually or auto? Just curious.
I was running in Sports+ mode, and doing both, dependent upon the session. I did leave the "full" stability control on, will be using PSM-Sport at the next track day.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:43 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have it writing from the service manager here in CO that it will void the warranty. This is also in the official PCA guidelines. See copy of email below.

"Here is the word from PCNA, it is not true that if a dealer does the track inspection that it will not affect the warranty. If the vehicle is tracked and there is a failure directly related to the track use then it will not be covered.

Coverage Exclusions:
Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche approved electrical or accessory installation.
Tires damaged by road hazard.
Tires damaged by premature wear.
Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
Normal wear or deterioration of any part.
Cleaning and polishing.
Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
Air conditioner refrigerant charge after the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
Dealer-installed accessories. (Refer to the Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty in this Booklet.)
Wheel balancing and wheel alignment beyond the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with salvage titles.
Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A.
Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts) beyond the first three months of service unless part of a warranty repair.
Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or its authorized dealers.
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Minor wind noise and insignificant seepage at the joints between the top and the body, or door windows in Cabriolet, hardtop or Targa models cannot be completely avoided under all circumstances.
The customer’s Cabriolet should not be washed in a car wash and may experience damage to the top or rear window due to the scratching by the brushes, or may experience leaks due to the high pressure water streams directed in areas which would not experience water in normal driving conditions.
The outside of the underbody (floor pan) or any other part of the car except body panels.
Paint damage caused by abuse or lack of proper maintenance.
Environmental damage such as that caused by acid rain or other industrial pollution, insect or bird droppings, tree sap, stones or other flying missiles, highway maintenance chemicals, flood, storm, and other forms of disaster.
Paint color matching. (Porsche Cars N.A. reserves the right to decide whether painting the repaired or replaced panel to match the original finish is practicable. Porsche Cars N.A. will not, under any circumstances, pay for painting the entire car solely for paint color matching.)
Paint damage caused by the application of unauthorized paint sealants or polymers.
The customer’s vehicle is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices make some sort of noise, and/or vibration and those noises and vibrations can differ from vehicle to vehicle. Porsche Cars N.A. recognizes those noises as normal and characteristic of the product. Normal noises or vibrations as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. can be anything from brake squeal to road vibration. Therefore, normal noise and/or vibration and/or deterioration as determined by Porsche Cars N.A. or its representative, is not covered by our warranty.
Warranty claims that are submitted on Used Vehicles in Dealership Inventory must not be a part of the reconditioning of the vehicle prior to sale. Warranty repairs are intended for the defects of the workmanship or materials of the vehicle and not for normal wear and tear items.

Normal Vehicle Use:
The Owner’s Manual (which includes specific recommendations for the customer against using their car in certain ways) was written with the assumption that you will use your car only in ways for which it was designed:
To carry passengers and cargo within specified load limits. (The load limits are specified on labels located in different places depending on your model Porsche.) See the specific Owner’s Manual for their locations.
To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits.
To generally be driven daily over a distance of several miles. In the event of prolonged storage, the customer should contact their local authorized Porsche automobile dealer for instructions.
A battery maintainer, available at authorized Porsche dealers, must be used to maintain the vehicle’s battery state of charge if the customer’s vehicle will not be used for several days.
To be run on unleaded gasoline with the recommended octane rating as specified in the Owner’s Manual.
To be properly maintained according to the Maintenance Schedule in the Maintenance Booklet and Car Care Instructions in the Owner’s Manual."
I got a chuckle out of that one. Porsche designs and engineers a car that can go over 190 mph and than notes that if you go over 55 on the free way we wont honor your warranty. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

(deleted)

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-11-2016 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

Very nice job. Clearly you know that track and very respectable time to boot. Nice line-smooth entries and nice exits. I would put that car against a GT3 with equal tires and equal drivers-it would be a slugfest at that track.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:07 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Not to pick nits, but no you don't. The warranty is not at all voided. "Affecting" the warranty and "voiding" the warranty are different things. PCNA is simply saying that if you take it on track and something breaks that they deem is related to that track use, they will disallow warranty coverage for that item.

Now that does give them a lot of latitude, but in fact, most of the mechanical systems on the car are subject to much higher stresses with track use, so it's not an unreasonable position for PCNA to take. If they have evidence that you have tracked your car, and then your PDK goes out six months later due to "heat related failure" or something like that, it's not unreasonable to deny coverage based on that known prior track usage. I got no problem with that. It is nearly impossible to generate the type of continued high heat on the street that you can easily get with every track venture. If the cars are not built for track use and warrantied for same, then it's reasonable for PCNA to deny.

Think of it like a street error that's outside of the design parameters of the car, say overrevving in a botched downshift. The bent valves won't be covered even though you were driving on the street. But the warranty is not voided. If your PCM screen goes out, it would be quite a stretch for PCNA to deny coverage based on track usage (or a street overrev event). Ditto your seat adjustment motor or your headlight dimmer or any number of other systems.
Well, the warranty is voided for that particular part that failed as a result of racing use, so I guess that is what matters. I don't think anyone is suggesting or worried abound voiding the warranty on a sunroof switch because the car was tracked.

I'm sure the car can be tracked reasonably without affecting warrant coverage, but if you over rev the engine on the track or on the street repeatedly and it fails, it seems you'll have the same problem relying on the warranty.

On a side note, interesting that vibrations and other similar sounds, Porsche says that may differ from car to car may be considered to be normal and a rent part of warranty coverage. I find that a bit disturbing - "my car does it, but 7 others on the lot don't, but PCNA relies on the warranty statement to avoid having to look into the cause". I'm sure Zporsche isn't the only company to protect itself this way though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Took my 2017 991.2 to the track to help break it in