Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts
Default GMG Racing: A Tale of Two GT3RS’s

GMG: A Tale of Two GT3RS’s

Sometimes there are serendipitous moments that instantly make one’s day something special. Last week, one of those moments happened to me. I walked through one of our big bay doors on Monday morning and what was parked just inside rooted me in my place. There they were, not one, but two gleaming white 991 GT3RS’s. I was instantly no longer in need of any morning coffee, gawking at these two captivating ladies was enough to quicken my pulse substantially. While it is true we get some truly magnificent machinery through our doors on a regular basis, it was still very special to see two nearly-identical GT3RS’s.

[

Turns out each client had brought their respective cars into our facility to have various GMG components installed. After additional scrutiny, I found that the cars were not, in fact, completely identical. One was equipped with PCCB’s and black LED headlights, while it's temporary garage-mate was equipped with steel brakes and silver Xenon’s. One car was equipped with clear rear tail lamps and side markers, while the other kept the red lights and amber side markers Each car was going to spend time on the track and needed to be prepped accordingly.

1ST GT3RS: GMG Track Package

The PCCB-equipped GT3RS was to be the recipient of our popular GMG-Signature Track Package. This meant we would address the handling, safety, and exhaust in aims of creating the best track experience possible for our client.

Cockpit Safety

Our first step was to remove a select number of interior pieces to gain access the mounting points for the Harness/Roll Bar and the Submarine Strap Mounts.

Since this GT3RS was equipped with Ceramic Composite Brakes we color matched the GMG 991 GT3RS LMS Harness/Roll Bar with the massive yellow brake calipers.

Our proprietary bar design is the result of analyzing the race cages in our 991 GT3R and Cup Cars, while utilizing our compiled data from previous generation GMG roll bars. The GMG LMS Harness/Roll Bar is meticulously bent and welded together right here in Southern California out of US-produced 4130 chromoly tubing. Each bar is stamped with a unique serial number and manufacturing date. It’s two front posts mounts to the structural bulkhead just behind the seats, while the rear bars extend back to the rear strut towers. This is done using existing factory mounting points. In consideration of rearward visibility, the main hoop is bent to the roof contour, and the cross bars are positioned in such a way to not impose on the driver’s line of sight.

In conjunction with the harness mounting points on the LMS Bar, we installed the GMG Submarine Strap Mounts underneath the stock LWB seats. This allowed for an efficient installation of the Schroth Profi II 6-point GT3 harnesses.

Exhaust

After the interior was sorted, the “Yellow” RS was put up into the air on one of our lifts for the installation of the GMG Headers and GMG Center Section. Using this header/center-section combination, while retaining the stock side mufflers, gives us the most bump in power without sacrificing low-end torque. We have found through testing that removing the primary mufflers with valves causes the engine to lose a little low-end torque. They are an important part of the variorum/variocam system. In addition, by keeping the side mufflers in place means the customer still has a way of controlling the exhaust volume should they have sensitive neighbors.

Here is the as-of-then untouched underside of the car.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JpiL2f]

Here you can see the GMG Headers w/ 200 Cell Catalytic Converters installed. The under tray was trimmed, and reinstalled after these photos were taken.

Suspension

The last aspect of our GMG Track Package is a proper alignment. Pulling directly from our on track experience, we had just the setup to dial the car in. This car was lowered slightly, and then driven onto our in-house alignment machine. The camber and toe were quickly set, and with that sorted the car was fully prepped for the track.

2nd GT3RS (Safety First)

In regards to the GT3RS equipped with the steel brakes (the “red” car), this car received all the interior safety features as the first car.

Our client opted to have the GMG LMS Roll/Harness bar powdercoated a matching white color.

Here is a close up showing the bar’s forward-most mounting points. You can see how any force the bar is subjected to is transferred through the base, and along the structural chassis cross bar. This design means that the mounting bolts themselves do not bear any of the load.

Here is the interior, completed with the GMG Submarine Belt Mount, GMG LMS Roll/Harness Bar, and Schroth 6-point Harnesses.

As the first picture teased, I could not pass up the opportunity to have both cars out for a quick photoshoot! If anyone would like any in higher-resolutions let me know.

Here is a product list of the components that we installed on these cars. If you would like to learn more about any of them please click on their link or give of a call. We completed all of the work shown above in our expansive Orange County facility. However, the installation of these parts can be performed by many of our authorized dealers.

-GMG LMS Roll Bar
-GMG Sub-Strap Mounts
-Schroth Profi II GT3 Belts
-GMG WC-GT Center Section Exhaust
-GMG GT3RS Headers w/200 cell catalytic converters
-Rennsport Tow Hook

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 06-28-2016, 02:54 PM
uberspeed3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous rare metal there
Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing

Those donuts on the tarmac were already there, right?
Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Those donuts on the tarmac were already there, right?
Unfortunately yes.

Quick Reply: GMG Racing: A Tale of Two GT3RS’s