Sponsored by:

Build advice - unique vs. disasterous

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Build advice - unique vs. disasterous

I'm looking at ordering a '17 C2S Cabrio.

My first build had Sapphire with Black/Bordeaux Red interior, but dealer and wife both thought that might be a little much. Now I'm looking at Sapphire and undecided on interior color. Black is what every other car I've owned had, but nothing else standard is calling out to me.

Carrera S Cabrio

• Sapphire Blue
  • Black Top
  • RS Spyder Wheels (Debating Carrera S wheels in Platinum)
  • 18-way seats (Mainly because the seatback shell might prevent scuffing of leather from my son in rear seat).
  • Premium Package
  • Porsche Entry & Drive
  • Sport Chrono
  • Sport Exhaust
  • Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel (Debating GT Wheel)
  • Seat Ventilation (Must have, especially in cabrio)
  • Smoking Package (Non-smoker, but cleaner look)
  • Luggage net
  • (Debating brushed aluminum, but not in build now).
  • Bose stereo
My biggest questions are:
  1. PDK - If I was single, this would 100% be a 7-speed three-pedal manual build. I'll be driving 90% of the time if I get PDK or 100% of the time if I get manual. The wife knows how to drive manual, but hates it. The easy choice for the bros before hos crowd would be to get a manual, but I'm leaning PDK so the wife can get to drive once in a while. It's the "right" thing to do, but it's killing me. She's said "just get what you want", but I know if I get it the manual she'll never ever drive it. Since this is the most expensive thing we've purchased together, I'd like her to get some enjoyment out of it.
  2. Interior color.
  3. Wheels. Accepting commentary. I like the initial look of the Spyders, but cleaning those babies looks like a bitch.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The sapphire blue cars look good with black interior if you add some 'pop'. Go for either some deviated stitching and/or painted trim pieces inside. I personally think blue is the best color for the painted trim pieces on a black interior.

I went PDK for the same reason and my wife is still reluctant to drive it. Take her at her word and get what you want. Let her get enjoyment out of the places the two of you go in the car (occasionally ask if you should stop by a jewelry store, purse shop, or boot store).
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This color combo was posted last month. Looked awesome. Like superman!

Do a red top. Not black.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:15 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep. Most likely your wife will not want the responsibility of potentially damaging her husbands cherished toy. Get the trans you want, she won't be driving.

Or do what I did and lease her a Boxster as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:41 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 401 Posts

Buying Short Term - think about your color choices carefully for trade in/sale in the future.

Buying Long Term - Get whatever color combo you want and drive the **** out of it.

Lease - Get whatever color combo you want and let the dealer worry about resale.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:43 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm buying and keeping for 8-10 years. The advice is helpful, thanks.

Would you pay leather to sample? I'm thinking cohiba, but don't want any reflections from the dash. It should be dark enough, I'm hoping.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do it. Look here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9366...7-991-2-a.html
Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Sapphire with red interior with black accents would look killer
Old 06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the black interior, driving south on a sunny day, the glare off the dash and the fake chrome on the steering wheel is blinding. Wish there was an option for a polarized windshield.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
That's mine! Love Superman! I had a Saphhire Blue / Blue Top with the black/beige interior prior that looked good as well but I wanted something darker than beige this time around.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Also, on a sunny day there is so much glare, the black gauges are nearly unseeable, if that's a word. My biggest regret is not getting gauges in white. Powered mirrors are nice in that if you are half way to the door of where you are going and don't remember if you locked your car, if you can see that the mirrors are folded then you locked the car.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
I'm leaning PDK so the wife can get to drive once in a while. It's the "right" thing to do, but it's killing me. She's said "just get what you want", but I know if I get it the manual she'll never ever drive it. Since this is the most expensive thing we've purchased together, I'd like her to get some enjoyment out of it.
I did the "right" thing on my 991.1 was a PDK for the same reason. Turned out my wife drove the car twice. My 991.2 is MT. She knows how to drive MT (doesn't like to do so) if she really wants to drive it.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:21 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My vote is to get the 911 that makes you happiest (and that your wife will support), so get the manual.

Can you look at the interiors at your dealership or online? The configurator doesn't always do the colors justice.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
The sapphire blue cars look good with black interior if you add some 'pop'. Go for either some deviated stitching and/or painted trim pieces inside. I personally think blue is the best color for the painted trim pieces on a black interior.

I went PDK for the same reason and my wife is still reluctant to drive it. Take her at her word and get what you want. Let her get enjoyment out of the places the two of you go in the car (occasionally ask if you should stop by a jewelry store, purse shop, or boot store).
+1
Old 06-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Light interiors are the only way to go with the blue IMO. Luxor beige or pebble grey. Two tone if you want, but SB is a dark color, and a black interior will bake in the sun. Red/blue would be weird. If you must have red interior, get silver exterior. The lighter interior is great on rainy days too, it's not as gloomy inside. Black scuffs just as easily, light interiors are better in every way. The people who tell you to get black all the way have never tried a lighter one.

Quick Reply: Build advice - unique vs. disasterous