Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

All --

I've picked out six popular car seats for the 991, in hopes to find the best forward facing model for my nearly three year old son. A full write up is forthcoming this weekend, but first a preview of the models (note: the sixth seat is already in my car). To be tested: Porsche Junior, Evenflow SecureKid LX, Cosco Highback Booster, Cosco APT 40, Safety First Guide 65 and Peg Perego Convertible.

Wish me luck!

JB
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 AM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using MaxiCosi rodi AP. About 1.5" too wide. Do not like the fit. Will be interested in your reviews. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 AM
DocMo
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 86 Posts

Good luck and please share your detailed impressions. The little princess is coming next August and I am sure she will love the 991 GTS
Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaw
All -- I've picked out six popular car seats for the 991, in hopes to find the best forward facing model for my nearly three year old son. A full write up is forthcoming this weekend, but first a preview of the models (note: the sixth seat is already in my car). To be tested: Porsche Junior, Evenflow SecureKid LX, Cosco Highback Booster, Cosco APT 40, Safety First Guide 65 and Peg Perego Convertible. Wish me luck! JB
VERY Interested in this. You are going ***** to the wall booster. Bravo!

Is this a cab or coup 991?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:38 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Front two on the right would only work until your kid(s) grew taller than the top line. The others have adjustable head support to extend as they get older. That's the spot I'm in. Tried the Junior Sport but it didn't fit right.

May have to do custom carbon molded booster seats.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 AM
jblaw
Banned

@NA430 it's a coupe, which provides a few more options.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 AM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried the Clek Filo?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182NEBUQ

We have the slightly larger Foonf in our other cars, but it does not fit in the 911. From all the seats we tested, nothing comes close to the Clek in terms of build quality and safety (at least perceived safety, that is - I don't have comparative studies to back this claim). It's very solid, has an integrated crumple zone, looks good (as far as child seats go), and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully installed the Filo in a 991.

I may just order one and try it myself, but I would love to avoid the hassle of ordering and returning if it doesn't fit. Happy to take one for the team if no one has tried this seat.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:45 PM
jblaw
Banned

@BJK -- the problem with the Filo is that it may sit too high with the base. I took out my Peg-Perego from my C63 -- same high base situation -- and it fits fine in the 991, no rubbing on headliner, not too wide for seats -- but because the seat sits so high, I don't get a ton of front passenger legroom. I need the wife approving factor / percentage to be in the high 90s
Old 06-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Uber clek fits but it is not a square one, a little too large causing it to skew slightly to the right. it works for now though
Old 06-17-2016, 03:35 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaw
@BJK -- the problem with the Filo is that it may sit too high with the base. I took out my Peg-Perego from my C63 -- same high base situation -- and it fits fine in the 991, no rubbing on headliner, not too wide for seats -- but because the seat sits so high, I don't get a ton of front passenger legroom. I need the wife approving factor / percentage to be in the high 90s
Thanks - that is my suspicion and the reason the foonf doesn't fit. The filo measures about an inch and a half shorter, but I'm not sure that is enough. I hadn't thought about how a higher seat would reduce the room for a front passenger, and wife approval is a very important factor for me as well. Sounds like it's best to sit tight and await the results of your tests.

Originally Posted by Highyo
Uber clek fits but it is not a square one, a little too large causing it to skew slightly to the right. it works for now though
Good to know. I've got a couple more years before the oobr is an option, so will probably look for something with a smaller base when the time comes.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Researched this a long time ago, someone said the Diono Radian XT was a perfect fit:

https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-.../dp/B005MQRAAK

I bought it and agree. Very high quality carseat, goes from rear facing (tested for fun, makes front passenger unuseable, but technically works) to forward facing, to booster seat. Folds, pretty sure it fits in the frunk though I didn't test it.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM
jurnaza
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These also fit perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0116OLEJE..._rUzzxbQ5ZXB90

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F1TKP0O..._CWzzxbVBQNV7X
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can I bug you to take a pic of the seat in place, please? Shot from front and side please.

I've searched the posts about car seats here. Bought two of the "fits perfectly" seats. They don't.

They have to sit two to three inches forward from the back of the rear seat. For me, I don't trust that fit.

Thanks again
Old 06-19-2016, 03:17 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Can I bug you to take a pic of the seat in place, please? Shot from front and side please. I've searched the posts about car seats here. Bought two of the "fits perfectly" seats. They don't. They have to sit two to three inches forward from the back of the rear seat. For me, I don't trust that fit. Thanks again
+1 here. Pictures would be great. Lots of different seats that have been recommended with several different price points. The spacing between the back of the car seat and the seat is also a concern. The cab back seats seem to be angled forward making it hard to imagine a booster seat fitting properly.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:20 AM
Caoticvet
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BJK
Has anyone tried the Clek Filo?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0182NEBUQ

We have the slightly larger Foonf in our other cars, but it does not fit in the 911. From all the seats we tested, nothing comes close to the Clek in terms of build quality and safety (at least perceived safety, that is - I don't have comparative studies to back this claim). It's very solid, has an integrated crumple zone, looks good (as far as child seats go), and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully installed the Filo in a 991.

I may just order one and try it myself, but I would love to avoid the hassle of ordering and returning if it doesn't fit. Happy to take one for the team if no one has tried this seat.
I have the Clek Fllo in a 991.1 CS Coupe. Fits perfect. Fits better than the Graco does in my SUV.
The following users liked this post:
Gjr Cars (08-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models