Sponsored by:

Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
I ended up getting the Radian. It fits rear facing with the angle adjuster. My wife could sit in the front seat, though it would be tight. Of course with her sitting behind me (I'm 6'1") wasn't exactly spacious, either, but it worked for the 30 minute ride out to dinner.

6'1" and your wife behind you? Good luck. Just buy a Panamera for family outings and drive the cab to and from work on your own. That gets my vote. If you get into an accident with the pictures setup, no one is getting out of that car in one piece.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:40 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I ended up getting the Radian. It fits rear facing with the angle adjuster. My wife could sit in the front seat, though it would be tight. Of course with her sitting behind me (I'm 6'1") wasn't exactly spacious, either, but it worked for the 30 minute ride out to dinner.
She sits behind you because she wants to be close to your child, or because the front seat is no longer usable?

I just ended up buying the Safety 1st Guide 65 (not yet installed) because it seemed to provide the most room for someone riding shotgun when rear facing.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've only done it once and it was my sons first trip with the top down, so she wanted to be close to him. She could sit in the front, though it wouldn't be great for long trips either.

We did a quick test fit before I ordered this car, so we knew what we were in for. It will get a lot better, of course, once he's forward facing ... but to those that say it can't be done, they're wrong. My wife is 5'5", I'm 6'1", and mine is a proper manual. So it was tight with her behind me but I could still shift and drive just fine. It started raining, so we drove home from dinner with the top up. I will say it was quite breezy back there for the boy, but he took it like a champ!
Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 PM
webhead49
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought up the RideSafer Travel Vests.

http://ridesafertravelvest.com/

In my old Corvette it was the only way my kids could ride safely, and they are just about perfect for the Porsche to allow the kids to enjoy the ride (though if they are old enough for a no back booster--those are pretty nice as well.

My wife and I have a pair for our kids, and one is always in each of our cars in case we need to transport a friend's kid from time to time. Makes a great backup for those times your kid needs to go with a friend or grandma/grandpa across town and you don't want to install a full seat.

Also great for traveling with kids on planes, as you can use them in taxis and rentals and they are legal car seats.

At $150 they cost less than your last suncoast order--just get a couple to keep around, they are great.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:44 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

We've only done it once and it was my sons first trip with the top down, so she wanted to be close to him. She could sit in the front, though it wouldn't be great for long trips either.

We did a quick test fit before I ordered this car, so we knew what we were in for. It will get a lot better, of course, once he's forward facing ... but to those that say it can't be done, they're wrong. My wife is 5'5", I'm 6'1", and mine is a proper manual. So it was tight with her behind me but I could still shift and drive just fine. It started raining, so we drove home from dinner with the top up. I will say it was quite breezy back there for the boy, but he took it like a champ!
Do you think someone 5'1" would be comfortable riding shotgun?

I installed the Safety 1st seat rear facing yesterday and we went for our first "family ride". I don't love the quality (our other seat is a Britax ClickTight) or the way it fits, and would return it if the Diono fits better while still allowing my 5'1" wife to ride shotgun.

Originally Posted by webhead49
I'm a bit surprised nobody has brought up the RideSafer Travel Vests.

http://ridesafertravelvest.com/

In my old Corvette it was the only way my kids could ride safely, and they are just about perfect for the Porsche to allow the kids to enjoy the ride (though if they are old enough for a no back booster--those are pretty nice as well.

My wife and I have a pair for our kids, and one is always in each of our cars in case we need to transport a friend's kid from time to time. Makes a great backup for those times your kid needs to go with a friend or grandma/grandpa across town and you don't want to install a full seat.

Also great for traveling with kids on planes, as you can use them in taxis and rentals and they are legal car seats.

At $150 they cost less than your last suncoast order--just get a couple to keep around, they are great.
Thanks for the tip, but those are years down the road for me...

I did a lot of car-seat research and they have definitely been mention in other threads.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

5'1" should work without issue. To test fit it, just put the seat as far forward as the motors will take it and see if she can handle it. It's tighter than many are used to, but it's not horrible once you're in. Getting feet in and out isn't perfect.

Please note, for the Diono to work as a rear-facing and still have the front seat usable, you'll need a $10 Diono Angle Adjuster. It's basically a foam wedge that goes under the bottom of the seat, making it more upright for the child and creating more space in the front. I actually also just discovered that the wind deflector can be deployed with my son in the seat and it comes in just in front of his head. It cuts down a bit on the breeze and would keep bugs from swirling around in his face.

Last edited by TAL2GK; 11-03-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: correcting inaccurate info
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

5'1" should work without issue. To test fit it, just put the seat as far forward as the motors will take it and see if she can handle it. It's tighter than many are used to, but it's not horrible once you're in. Getting feet in and out isn't perfect.

Please note, for the Diono to work this way and still have the front seat usable, you'll need a $10 Diono Angle Adjuster. It's basically a foam wedge that goes under the bottom of the seat, making it more upright for the child and creating more space in the front.

How steep does the passenger seat need to be with the Diono rear facing? My wife is fine with the seat all the way forward, but there needs to be a bit of recline.

Did you use LATCH or the seatbelt? I tried the seatbelt initially, but it would not lock, so I had to use the LATCH system.

I can't wait until the spring when our son is in the forward-facing position
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

We use the LATCH and there's a strap on the Diono that ties the back to a loop you'd insert around the seat frame of the front seat.

The bad news is the front seat has to be fairly upright - so there isn't much recline. And yes, it will all be so much easier once the kids are forward facing.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:59 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

We use the LATCH and there's a strap on the Diono that ties the back to a loop you'd insert around the seat frame of the front seat.

The bad news is the front seat has to be fairly upright - so there isn't much recline. And yes, it will all be so much easier once the kids are forward facing.
That is what I thought regarding the upright seating position...

I played around with the Safety 1st after our ride (wife became nauseated riding in the back seat on return trip) and think I can get more room for the front seat to recline. Otherwise the 911 really will be "daddy's car" until the spring, because my wife is not riding in the back seat again
Old 11-03-2016, 11:39 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Can I bug you to take a pic of the seat in place, please? Shot from front and side please.

I've searched the posts about car seats here. Bought two of the "fits perfectly" seats. They don't.

They have to sit two to three inches forward from the back of the rear seat. For me, I don't trust that fit.

Thanks again

I have two of these in my 996
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Update with an addition of another stroller that fits in the frunk.

I just picked up a nice cheap option at Target. The Baby Trend tri-fold mini stroller. It even comes in Miami Blue (although they call it Malibu Blue ;-) ).

It's better than an umbrella stroller, but not as nice as a full sized, as you might expect. Most importantly, it folds up tight and fits with room to spare in the frunk. I can fit a bag for the toddler in there, as well. There are others listed that fit, as well, but those are all $250ish. I got this one for around $90. It's built cheaper, but it's more than adequate for occasional use.

http://www.target.com/p/baby-trend-t...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Got this for my 6 year old to sit in the back of our Cab. Works great.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony-.../6000195518298
Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Someone on Audizine asked for pictures of my car-seat setup, so I will also post them here while I remember.

Seat - Safety 1st Guide 65
Passenger-Seat Room - Someone ~5'5" can ride shotgun with a toddler, but a newborn/infant will take up more room due to flatter position

Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 684 Likes on 478 Posts

With a rear facing car seat and a wife, the only one comfortable in the car is the kid.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
With a rear facing car seat and a wife, the only one comfortable in the car is the kid.
My wife is 5'2" 😎

Quick Reply: Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models