Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

Old 07-05-2016, 11:50 AM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Picture of Diono Radian RXT installed in 991. Excellent head protection. Seat can fold for travel, works as rear facing (makes front seat unuseable, but you can if you want) all the way to booster. You'll never outgrow it, and probably never break it--we have another cheaper seat that has started falling apart after a few years of abuse.

Note there is a newer version, but it is a bit wider. I can't vouch for the new one in the 991, though I expect it will fit. Mostly it's the upper area that's wider in the new one. You can still buy the old one as of this posting.

Just an update in case anyone is interested for the 991.2....

This seat does NOT fit in the 991.2. The back rubs on the rear pillar so the seat does not sit straight. I ended up taking it out. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that the 991.2 may have slightly less rear headroom or a more sloped rear hatch.
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (07-10-2022)
Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same issue in my 911.1 with rubbing on the headliner
Old 07-05-2016, 01:24 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by amre
Just an update in case anyone is interested for the 991.2....

This seat does NOT fit in the 991.2. The back rubs on the rear pillar so the seat does not sit straight. I ended up taking it out. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that the 991.2 may have slightly less rear headroom or a more sloped rear hatch.
Is it the EXACT same model? Diono makes quite a few of them, and I don't think the new ones would fit. (we have a newer one in the other car, never bothered to test fit it in the 911 yet)

There's no difference in the back seat from 991.1 to 991.2 is there? I also use the rear strap, not sure if that makes a difference in how well it stays put? I have taken this seat out and put it in maybe a dozen times and not had a problem with it touching the headliner.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:53 AM
drdiaboloco
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amre
AFAIK there is no difference between the .1 and the .2. Aside from the possibility of the car seat itself being slightly different, is it possible that the seat in the picture fits because the car's seat cushion was removed, adding those precious few centimeters of room?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:34 PM
amre
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Is it the EXACT same model? Diono makes quite a few of them, and I don't think the new ones would fit. (we have a newer one in the other car, never bothered to test fit it in the 911 yet)

There's no difference in the back seat from 991.1 to 991.2 is there? I also use the rear strap, not sure if that makes a difference in how well it stays put? I have taken this seat out and put it in maybe a dozen times and not had a problem with it touching the headliner.
This is the seat I tried out and it was too tall for the back seat of the 991.2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys put anything under the car seat/booster to prevent damage to the leather?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by drdiaboloco
is it possible that the seat in the picture fits because the car's seat cushion was removed, adding those precious few centimeters of room?
The small cushin/pad should be removed so you can access the Latch connections for the carseat. Nothing else was removed from my setup than that.

Last edited by Tangerine; 07-06-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fix formatting
Old 07-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by MinMay
Do you guys put anything under the car seat/booster to prevent damage to the leather?
Mine is alcantara, but I do use the Diono full size seat protector. You can see it peeking out a bit at the bottom with the red tag.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM
bmw2porsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the Diono Radian RXT. It fits perfectly in my 991.1 c2s.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:32 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Is the Peg Perego you tested the "Primo Viaggio"? This is the only version I see on Amazon, for instance. I like that it comes with a base for ease of installation vs the Diono Radian but since I'm not sure about the exact model you used, I'm unsure about fit.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 AM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone test fit the Recaro Performance Booster yet?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:17 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Originally Posted by brianja
I hope this sin't taking this thread too far off track...

How are people protecting the back of their passenger seats when they have a forward facing car seat in the back? I'm concerned about the leather on the back of the seat being damaged by little feet / shoes.

Since our cars don't have separated front headrests, none of the seat-back protectors I've seen will be able to attach.

I'm thinking that a "shoes off" policy for rear seat occupants would solve the problem, but perhaps someone else has a better solution.
FWIW, This was a factor in my upgrading to the Sport Plus seats. The shell on the back of the seats means that no leather will be damaged!

In response to my own post just above this, I see that the Peg reviewed was indeed the same model. Amazon carries. Good news, I think this might be the winner for me over the more complicated Radian and allow me to move it between cars easier.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:23 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

One question: On a cab, do we have a tether anchor once this becomes a forward facing seat? I'm three weeks out from picking up mine, so I can't check for myself.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:26 PM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Has anyone tried the Combi Coccoro in either forward or rear facing? http://www.combiusa.com/Coccoro-p/8220.htm

My research is saying that it is the smallest convertible seat out there (fits in a Fiat) and wondering whether it will fit in the back of the 991. The other one I haven't seen mentioned is the Chicco Next Fit Zip. It has lots of adjustability and supposedly is fairly compact.

I tried out Maxi-Cosi Pria 70 and it was just a hair too big for forward facing.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

I ended up getting the Radian. It fits rear facing with the angle adjuster. My wife could sit in the front seat, though it would be tight. Of course with her sitting behind me (I'm 6'1") wasn't exactly spacious, either, but it worked for the 30 minute ride out to dinner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models