Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:55 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

@amre -- I completely forgot to take a photo, because we were going back and forth on that one and using our peg perego. Amazon has free prime returns on the seat, so there's no harm giving it a try for yourself.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:13 PM
venval
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Porsche jr seat plus and my 4 year old barely fits. If I move the headrest on it up more than 2 clicks it rubs the headliner and his shoulders are nearly touching the bottom of the head restraint. 7 year old is on a bubble bum or for short trips nothing. What's everyone doing for the 5-10 year olds? I need to achieve 2 things: seat belt positioned properly on the shoulder not neck and head / whiplash protection. So it needs a narrow base AND a high back for head / neck protection (but not so wide a head restraint that it hits the headliner).
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by venval
So it needs a narrow base AND a high back for head / neck protection (but not so wide a head restraint that it hits the headliner)
Diono Radian RXT (removed link myself--an admin or bot changed it from Amazon to Khol's? The reason I linked to Amazon was because there are lots of great reviews and Q&A sections--there was no referral credit link or anything. Last time I bother trying to be helpful like that...)

Last edited by Tangerine; 06-23-2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: WTF we aren't allowed to link to Amazon?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 PM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brianja
I hope this sin't taking this thread too far off track...

How are people protecting the back of their passenger seats when they have a forward facing car seat in the back? I'm concerned about the leather on the back of the seat being damaged by little feet / shoes.

Since our cars don't have separated front headrests, none of the seat-back protectors I've seen will be able to attach.

I'm thinking that a "shoes off" policy for rear seat occupants would solve the problem, but perhaps someone else has a better solution.

I have leather seat backs which aren't high gloss. I started off taking their shoes off but then just let it slide. I keep an old gym towel in the car to wipe off their shoes if it's been raining but otherwise after 2 years (from ages 2 - 4) my seat backs show no permanent damage.

On the other hand, I'm probably the only one when the car is detailed ends up with a small baggy of lego people limbs that have been randomly scattered throughout the car.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 PM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaw
Sorry for the lack up of date -- I tested on Friday and haven't had a chance to post. Of the six seats I tested, only one clearly didn't fit -- the Cosco APT40 (the bright blue one). The Even Flow Secure Kit also didn't all that well, unless the base was lifted a few inches above the seat. That left a few options: the Porsche Junior fits pretty well, but doesn't have a five point harness (will wait until my boy is 4); the Cosco Highback (most legroom for front seat, but no real side impact protection) the Safety First Guide 65 (fit really well, looked well made) and the Peg Perego Viaggo Convertible. We decided to use the Peg Perego as it seemed the best made (should at nearly $400) and I already owned it. While it sits a little high and takes a little more front seat leg room out of the equation, we figured we could use it until he was ready for the Porsche Junior we also own. FYI -- none of these seats bumped up against the headliner.
I have used the Cosco high back for 2 years and it does provide the most legroom for them and me. It's a 5 pt harness but no side protection. I'm not sure I believe the side protection makes a difference, but that's my opinion. Not fact. I did like the fact the seats are only $40 and about 12 lbs. They're our preferred travel car seats.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Picture of Diono Radian RXT installed in 991. Excellent head protection. Seat can fold for travel, works as rear facing (makes front seat unuseable, but you can if you want) all the way to booster. You'll never outgrow it, and probably never break it--we have another cheaper seat that has started falling apart after a few years of abuse.

Note there is a newer version, but it is a bit wider. I can't vouch for the new one in the 991, though I expect it will fit. Mostly it's the upper area that's wider in the new one. You can still buy the old one as of this posting.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Picture of Diono Radian RXT installed in 991. Excellent head protection. Seat can fold for travel, works as rear facing (makes front seat unuseable, but you can if you want) all the way to booster. You'll never outgrow it, and probably never break it--we have another cheaper seat that has started falling apart after a few years of abuse.

Note there is a newer version, but it is a bit wider. I can't vouch for the new one in the 991, though I expect it will fit. Mostly it's the upper area that's wider in the new one. You can still buy the old one as of this posting.
That's great. Thank you for sharing the photo.

How is the front passenger's leg room with this setup? Usable? Usable by someone around 5'9"? Usable, but only for short trips?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:00 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Originally Posted by brianja
How is the front passenger's leg room with this setup? Usable? Usable by someone around 5'9"? Usable, but only for short trips?
Front seat isn't moved up at all. I think it can go back a little bit, but that's only if you are huge you'd need to do that. I am tall and have the driver seat almost all the way back, and when the carseat is in that side the little one has to put her feet to the sides but it doesn't bother her.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Tangerine
Pro

I re-read that and I might have not been clear--there is no impact to the front seats with this carseat and a small child. The child pictured is 42 lbs, I forget how tall. For older children maybe the seat would need to go forward a bit, but as pictured a male adult would not need to change the seat position at all.

(we also use the "shoes off" policy in the car)
Old 06-24-2016, 09:12 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I re-read that and I might have not been clear--there is no impact to the front seats with this carseat and a small child. The child pictured is 42 lbs, I forget how tall. For older children maybe the seat would need to go forward a bit, but as pictured a male adult would not need to change the seat position at all.

(we also use the "shoes off" policy in the car)
Thank you for the info.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:15 AM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All -- I've picked out six popular car seats for the 991, in hopes to find the best forward facing model for my nearly three year old son. A full write up is forthcoming this weekend, but first a preview of the models (note: the sixth seat is already in my car). To be tested: Porsche Junior, Evenflow SecureKid LX, Cosco Highback Booster, Cosco APT 40, Safety First Guide 65 and Peg Perego Convertible. Wish me luck! JB
Thanks for doing all this. Much appreciated.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:22 AM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ArthurVandalay
Thanks for doing all this. Much appreciated.
Just doing my part -- so much great info on this board. Now wait until you see my posts with the roof bars and roof box! THIS IS MY MINIVAN!
Old 06-24-2016, 10:54 AM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks jblaw. Excellent information and I know it was a lot of work to do all this.

On the same topic, I shared this with my SO and she went on a rampage (she must have been holding back) about how the whole idea of a Porsche 911 for a father of two children is stupid and selfish! Tried to convince her that it's perfectly fine but I lost that argument!

Has anyone done any research about the actual safety in the backseat?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:08 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Booster seat (bottom only) that pits perfectly.

I was looking for a booster seat only and found this one fits perfectly. It's the Harmony Juvenile Youth booster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 PM
ArthurVandalay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just doing my part -- so much great info on this board. Now wait until you see my posts with the roof bars and roof box! THIS IS MY MINIVAN!

Dude! Great minds think alike. Already have the roof rack. Best one I've ever used/owned.

Quick Reply: Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models