Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 07:56 AM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy used two of the Harmony seats for his 996. I have one in the front Sport Plus for the GT4.

Best value too cannot hurt also.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony-.../6000189057033
Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM
jurnaza
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
+1 here. Pictures would be great. Lots of different seats that have been recommended with several different price points. The spacing between the back of the car seat and the seat is also a concern. The cab back seats seem to be angled forward making it hard to imagine a booster seat fitting properly.
Will post pix once the car gets back from detail & PSE install.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by focal
I have one in the front Sport Plus for the GT4.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/harmony-.../6000189057033
Does the base of this seat actually fit between the side bolsters of the Sports Plus seat? Or is it a tight fit (wedged or some deformation of the cushion)? I think the center seat cushion (the flat part where you'd rest the base of the child seat) on the Sports Plus seat is 14" wide at the knee, and only 12" wide at the deepest part (near the hips). I could have sworn the seat you linked is too wide to fit in the narrow Sports Plus seat but I might be confusing it with another model.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gearFX
Does the base of this seat actually fit between the side bolsters of the Sports Plus seat? Or is it a tight fit (wedged or some deformation of the cushion)? I think the center seat cushion (the flat part where you'd rest the base of the child seat) on the Sports Plus seat is 14" wide at the knee, and only 12" wide at the deepest part (near the hips). I could have sworn the seat you linked is too wide to fit in the narrow Sports Plus seat but I might be confusing it with another model.
last I looked it's sitting on the cushion and not on the thigh/side bolsters. I'll need to look again.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:37 PM
jblaw
Banned

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry for the lack up of date -- I tested on Friday and haven't had a chance to post. Of the six seats I tested, only one clearly didn't fit -- the Cosco APT40 (the bright blue one). The Even Flow Secure Kit also didn't all that well, unless the base was lifted a few inches above the seat. That left a few options: the Porsche Junior fits pretty well, but doesn't have a five point harness (will wait until my boy is 4); the Cosco Highback (most legroom for front seat, but no real side impact protection) the Safety First Guide 65 (fit really well, looked well made) and the Peg Perego Viaggo Convertible. We decided to use the Peg Perego as it seemed the best made (should at nearly $400) and I already owned it. While it sits a little high and takes a little more front seat leg room out of the equation, we figured we could use it until he was ready for the Porsche Junior we also own. FYI -- none of these seats bumped up against the headliner.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 PM
jblaw
Banned

Old 06-21-2016, 11:36 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Researched this a long time ago, someone said the Diono Radian XT was a perfect fit:

https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-.../dp/B005MQRAAK

I bought it and agree. Very high quality carseat, goes from rear facing (tested for fun, makes front passenger unuseable, but technically works) to forward facing, to booster seat. Folds, pretty sure it fits in the frunk though I didn't test it.
Came here to suggest this seat as well.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:27 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

what model porsche seat is that? It fits better than the junior sport seat I tried. Can you provide a model #?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:06 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Aren't the back seats basically car seats anyway? What actual advantage do you get by stacking a booster seat on top of the built in seat that's the same size?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:18 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Aren't the back seats basically car seats anyway? What actual advantage do you get by stacking a booster seat on top of the built in seat that's the same size?
that's a good point. When I put a base only booster in my kids head aligns with the wind shield in my cab. Not good. Without they have padding.

For me it would be for side impacts and front impacts. In a regular booster the seat belts would come across the kids body at the right height. Over shoulder. Currently they rest to high near the Neck.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 AM
jblaw
Banned

@NA it's the Pirsche Junior Seat Plus
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM
jblaw
Banned

@Dewinator for older kids -- its about seat belt positioning. For toddlers, it's keeping them locked into the seat with a harness and giving them head and neck protection.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:21 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 266 Posts

I hope this sin't taking this thread too far off track...

How are people protecting the back of their passenger seats when they have a forward facing car seat in the back? I'm concerned about the leather on the back of the seat being damaged by little feet / shoes.

Since our cars don't have separated front headrests, none of the seat-back protectors I've seen will be able to attach.

I'm thinking that a "shoes off" policy for rear seat occupants would solve the problem, but perhaps someone else has a better solution.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaw

Thank you. Do you have a picture of the Safety First?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:52 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Originally Posted by focal
last I looked it's sitting on the cushion and not on the thigh/side bolsters. I'll need to look again.
Did you have a chance to check again (or better yet, snap a pic or 2)?

Quick Reply: Updated car seat comparison -- 2016 models