Sponsored by:

Before you pick up questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:21 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before you pick up questions

Hi everyone, after a long long long *** wait, my car is delayed for another 15 days...

I have two questions for the fellow owners.

1. Should I get a 3M clear bra for the front? If I should, should I get it done by the dealership's recommended guy or I should find one myself? I live near the Toronto area, is there any reputable 3m installers? I'm asking this is because they told me the installation damage is covered by the installer's warranty even if the dealership recommended them. Secondly, I saw a post earlier that a 991.2 owner found out the assembly for the front is different from the 991.1.

2. Should I get the factory extended warranty? The 991.2 has more moving parts, turbos, rear steering and etc. I'm only driving about 3000km a year if I'm lucky, but I'm planning to keep this one for a long time.

Please please don't flame on me. I did use the search button, but I don't want to reply to super old threads.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by BravoEight
Hi everyone, after a long long long *** wait, my car is delayed for another 15 days...

I have two questions for the fellow owners.

1. Should I get a 3M clear bra for the front? If I should, should I get it done by the dealership's recommended guy or I should find one myself? I live near the Toronto area, is there any reputable 3m installers? I'm asking this is because they told me the installation damage is covered by the installer's warranty even if the dealership recommended them. Secondly, I saw a post earlier that a 991.2 owner found out the assembly for the front is different from the 991.1.

2. Should I get the factory extended warranty? The 991.2 has more moving parts, turbos, rear steering and etc. I'm only driving about 3000km a year if I'm lucky, but I'm planning to keep this one for a long time.

Please please don't flame on me. I did use the search button, but I don't want to reply to super old threads.
If you're going to do a PPF, do Xpel or Suntek. 3M is old tech. Do a search, lots of info on both Xpel and Suntek.

Find a reputable installer in your area. Don't go with the dealer.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:23 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you're going to do a PPF, do Xpel or Suntek. 3M is old tech. Do a search, lots of info on both Xpel and Suntek.

is it better to install it when the car is new or it doesn't take much effort to clean it and install it later?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM
oalvarez
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Unless money is of less concern, heed this person's advice.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:28 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the bra done right away.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

is it better to install it when the car is new or it doesn't take much effort to clean it and install it later?
As new as possible -first 20 miles if you can. And don't tailgate on the freeway on your way to the ppf installer. Do full hood, fenders, bumper, rockers and around both fender flares. These big tires kick rocks up like crazy.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Only downside to waiting is that the car might pick up chips and scratches which the bra most likely would have prevented if you had installed it earlier.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

what about the factory extended warranty?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

what about the factory extended warranty?
Hard to answer in the abstract.

How much is the extended warranty? For how long?

Who is underwriting it? Usually it's not Porsche AG (or Porsche Canada in your case), but some third-party, like Fidelity. How reputable are they? Any other owners in your area with past experiences. Lots of time extended warranties just mean "extended" headache to get a claim covered, and paid.

Is it transferable to the next potential owner in the event you sell before the warranty period?

Also, how long do you typically keep a car? Will the same hold true for the this 911? If not, why not? You say "long time" now, but what makes you say that?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:52 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

1) Don't discount the dealers "go to" installer but check them out like you would others. Some on here have had horrible experiences.

2) Plenty of time to do an extended warranty after pick up unless you really want to roll that into your loan. What kind of extension do you get for what money?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

I think it's Porsche factory extended warranty instead of a third party one. From the past, I have been moving from cars to cars, the longest one i kept is 2 years because I was always looking for upgrades. However, I think the 911 will be different this time. I wouldn't consider it if it's not factory warranty tho.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:06 PM
BravoEight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
1) Don't discount the dealers "go to" installer but check them out like you would others. Some on here have had horrible experiences.

2) Plenty of time to do an extended warranty after pick up unless you really want to roll that into your loan. What kind of extension do you get for what money?
1)got it!

2) the sales rep didn't give me the detail. He told me we will discuss the details 3 days before pickup...
Old 05-31-2016, 10:51 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I've had two extended warranties sold by Porsche dealers -- one was Fidelity, the other Zurich. Both worked with no problems. In California, the Insurance Commissioner vets warranty providers, and decides what can be sold in the state. In the past, there have been problem companies that did not perform -- mainly sold on the internet or by boiler rooms. Be careful. If a Porsche dealer sells it, it's likely fine. Prices are negotiable -- check with a couple of local dealers. In some policies, deductible is lower or waived if repair is done by the dealer that sold you the warranty. Also, keep in mind that reliability has improved through the years in these vehicles to the point that warranties may no longer be necessary. Personal decision.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should go on the RL Canadian site. There are many Toronto members who can refer you to a good shop for Xpel.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:55 PM
robbie9999
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mate private me got my car Sat its getting done today from a kat in Mississauga will be posting pics up by Thursday on the whole car

Quick Reply: Before you pick up questions